“Great Theme Buffet Dinners” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros

Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros
Ranked #25 of 148 Hotels in Cartagena
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Theme Buffet Dinners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week and ate in the buffet several times. Italian night. Colombian night. Etc. And the breakfasts were awesome too. Really really good food.

The rooms were good too. Modern. Clean. Balcony. Good service.

The pool is small and can get very crowded. The beach in Cartagena is average. We had fun, but there are better beaches out there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Mr. Randy K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your comments, about your last stay in Holiday Inn Cartagena Morrosm and your good experience with our Restaurant's Gastronomy. We really appreciate it and we will share it with our team.

Please let us welcoming you again in your future visits to Cartagena,

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Not 5 points cause it's a little bit far from the ciudad amurallada, you spend 12000 pesos to go there, the breakfast is amazing with yogurts, juices, cereals, many other nice things, the rooms are good, comfortable bed, the pool is ok and the beach in front if the hotel is just ok

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear iiviiarmor,

It gives us great pleasure to read your positive feedback about the service provided by Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, and share your positive experience with our Breakfast Buffet, and the amenities of our rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you in a new opportunity,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Went to Cartagena to visit some clients and to my surprise it was a wonderful visit the hotel was absolutely gorgeous and staff went out of there way to be welcoming. Bartender in the evening on the second night knew my beverage of choice thank you the room was amazing with the best shower I've ever used I will be back

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Frank F,

Is a pleasure for us receiving the comments for our guest, We glad to know that you are completely satisfied with our service and Staff.

We want to thank you for letting us know about your experience and for being part of our commitment, create great hotels, guests love.

We hope that whenever you come to Cartagena again, you could stay with us so we could be there for you again.

Do not hesitate in contact me if you need future requests or comments.

Best Regards,

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

A smart, modern hotel with large, opulent rooms for a holiday Inn, although its a bit strange that you can see into the shower from the bedroom. The staff are very friendly, and helpful, and most speak good english. Reception staff were particularly helpful.

We booked a sea view room,but were disappointed to find that the rooms are set back about 50 metres from the beach and there are apartment blocks extending out to the beach on each side. Rooms ending in nunbers 10 and 12 are very close to the adjacent appartments and rooms 10 look out mainly to the apartment balconies. See photos.

Although it was not clear on the website, check-in is at 3pm, and as we arrived at midday, we had to wait a few hours for our room. Reception staff did try to get access earlier, but as the hotel was busy, the room did not become avaiable. There is a corridor leading from the Reception area to the pool and beach, but it is badly signed, and as it is more direct, peope walk through the dining room in beach gear, which is inappropriate.

We also had an issue with sorting out the bill on check-out, which took time and resulted in delay. We made the booking on the Book Early and Save rate type. It clearly states on the confirmation that 'Payment is charged between the time of booking and day of arrival' and yet on check-out, our bill included the room cost as well as meals etc. and we had to trust the receptionist who told us that the payment had not been charged. In addition, the 'voluntary charges' for a donation and insurance were included on the bill, and when I requested that they be removed, the receptionist demanded that we sign a document to authorise him to do so.
I am not blaming the reception staff, because they were very polite in explaining the bill items, but the management should clarify the payment process in the reservation confirmation. In addition, they have no right to include the 'voluntary charges' in the bill or require staff to obtain the client's signature to remove the items. It certainly left a sour taste on leaving the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid sea view rooms ending in numbers 10 and 12 that are very close to adjacent appartments. See ph...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank assheton
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Good day Mr Assheton,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros. I am sorry that your experience did not entirely meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest excuses.

We will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve to all of our coworkers as we strive to always deliver the highest quality service.

We hope to welcome you soon again

Regards,

College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am platinum status IHG Rewards member and tend to stay at a lot of their properties when available where I am traveling. This hotel, which is seamlessly blended into a series of "Morros" condominium complexes, far exceeded my expectations. It is very new, clean, and smells remarkably fresh for a seaside property being subject to on shore breezes of substance 90% of the time. I opted to spend a bit m ore money for a 10th floor ocean view room with balcony and amenities. Hotel rooms are not cheap in Cartagena, nor was this one, but it certainly was a much better deal than an aging hotel on Magnificent Mile in Chicago in December, and for less money. The beach is accessed with key card, so best if you have pockets with Velcro for a swim. The beach is unfortunately heavily populated with salespersons of all forms (fresh seafood 'on ice' - no thanks), sun screen applicators, masseuses, and the ever annoying purveyor of jet skis (why the users have to go back and forth along the beach right near swimmers rather than taking their mosquitos out to sea and ditching them there is beyond me). Kite surfers galore when winds are up. Sea is calmer in mornings.

I also will note that the hotel restaurant (Blue) is exceptional for lunch and supper. Don't be surprised if there are few people there at night (many go into old city for fun). The food I ordered was always fresh and tasty and original.

All in all, I have no complaints about this property and found it very well run.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a high floor ocean view with balcony. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear MHKTraveller,

Thank you for your positive review of your stay at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros. It is always especially pleasing to hear such great feedback from a seasoned traveller, and Platinum member of IHG. Our team is focused on delivering the highest quality of standards we are known for and I'm glad we have demonstrated it during your stay.

We are delighted that you had enjoyed your room with it's amenities, facilities and the great location of the hotel on beach front, near to International Airport . We will share with our Restaurant team and Cheff, your positive experience with the service and menu

We look forward to have you back soon,

Regards,

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is located about 1 mile Northeast of the airport in a cluster of other hotels.
It's about 2.5 miles from the Old City (Historic Old Walled City of Cartagena)

Why I would come back to this hotel:
***************************************************************************************
It's new. If you have travelled enough you know that new is hard to beat.
They did a good job on the décor and design. It's too contemporary (cold) for my taste but it was clean and modern. (Did I mention that it's new?)
They do a good breakfast. The fresh squeezed juices are let you know that they take your business seriously.
It's one of those rare times when they have a really good crew. Big ups to the management for excellent training and dumb luck on having a great crew. (Corporate policy can help make a good hotel but without a good crew it doesn't matter what school your CEO went to.)
There was a really cool little petit girl that worked the breakfast shift. She always made me feel welcome and I looked forward to seeing her in the mornings,, never got her name tho.
This hotel has a pool and workout facility.
One of the best IHG properties I've seen.

How they could make it better:
I got some laundry done and it cost $60. It was folded immaculately but that's just a bit much to get some jeans and t-shirts washed.
When you have a meal at the hotel they don't give you a receipt. This caused some confusion about which meals I paid cash for and which ones were charged to my room.
Puts some lights out on the beach and take control of that area. (You cannot go out on the beach at night.) Not that it's some horrible treacherous area, just the hotel lookin out for you in a developing country.
Get rid of the incessant hawkers on the beach. (You will not really go to Cartagena to go to this beach, it's not very good,, you will go to Playa Blanca or other areas to do the beach thing but it would be nice to be able to walk out to the ocean at the hotel)
Make a decent hamburger!
If you are going to serve French fries,, serve good ones. Otherwise just take them off the menu.

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean isn't really worth the extra $.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Russ m,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your recent stay and your kind recommendations. We are delighted to know that our staff have made such an positive impression on your stay.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back when you next have an opportunity to return to Cartagena de Indias

Kind Regards,

Revenue Manage
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I see a lot of comments here about the pre-paid rate and credit card challenges. As long as you read the guidelines when booking, this should not be a surprise or a problem. I also booked the pre-paid rate because it saved me some bucks at the time of booking. Unfortunately for me I came in one day late due to cancelled flight, and lost that paid night, but that's not the fault of the hotel. They even arranged it so that I could use the lost night as a credit in a later stay.

I truly enjoyed my stay here. Friendly staff, the best ever breakfast buffet I've had at a Holiday Inn, nicely decorated and modern rooms, charming bar by the pool. You have exceeded my expectations.

It's a fairly short drive (10 minutes or less) to the beautiful old town. Taxis operate at a fixed rate (USD6=12.000 Colombian).

Will come back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnCartagena, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Great_Squasher

We was really delighted to read your feedback following you recent visit to us, thank you very much. We always try our hardest to make our guests feel at home and taken care of at all times. We have passed your comments to our team. We hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards,