“It is just a Holiday Inn. Good for business trip but not for enjoying Cartagena!!”

Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros
Ranked #32 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

As I said in the title it's just another Holiday Inn, It is located putside de old city so be prepared to spend a lot in taxi transportation. The hotel itself is nice and clean rooms are confortable, but nothing special to coment. And the worst part of it is the wet zone since when you arrive to your room a get on the balcony you get the view of a cordeus swimingpool and wet zones, to get really disappointed once you go downstairs and see that area is from a private condo. And the Hotel's pool is just a little one in one side of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Gfranco14,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 18, 2012

It all began when I checked into my room, which had human (I think) vomit, all over the bed and nightstand area. Whoever stayed in the room before me had a rough time, as they apparently puked all over themselves and the bed. The room had otherwise been "made up", but the odor and chunks of partially digested food remained in plain sight and all over the area where one presumably sleeps, much of it plastered around the headboard and behind the mattress. I immediately contacted the front desk and asked for another room. They said that they'd get me in another room and in the meantime have the room re-cleaned.

Looking out the window I saw two stunningly beautiful pools and decided I'd see how well they could clean it while I soaked up some sun. Apparently, those are the pools for the adjacent condominums and they aren't open to hotel guests. Instead the hotel has a crappy small pool off to the side. Okay, I can live with a little false advertising.

What I didn't like living with was the fact that housekeeping didn't do anything to alleviate the vomit situation, and it took Holiday Inn Cartagena over 24 hours for them to get me a new room. So yes, I spent the night in a room that had human vomit and other unidentifiable bits of semi-digested nastiness! I slept at the foot of the bed, sideways, as far away as I could from the vomit remains, which by then were starting to turn darker in color.

Aside from the vomit room (the new room was fine), I also had numerous problems with the staff around the hotel. A waiter asked for a bribe, saying he would only charge one of us for the breakfast buffet if we paid him. At the (small, crappy) pool, we were charged one price for "house cocktails" one day, and three times the amount for the identical drinks the following day.

But the real adventure was at checkout, where I found over $360USD of extra charges on my bill, for a 4 night stay! There was everything from the "health insurance" to extra charges for a second person in the room. Yes, a King bed room is supposedly only for one person, and they told me that they charge more for two people. Well, not according to their web site, where if you select one or two persons it's the same cost. Also, there were tons of charges on my bill for food & beverage that I did not order or consume. When I asked them to produce the signed receipts for F&B bills they could only find three.

The front desk staff argued and argued over the bill, and I eventually almost missed my flight when I told them that they could either A) remove all the invalid charges and I'd pay on the spot, or B) take an imprint of my card, but I wouldn't sign the slip and we could figure it out later over the phone or email. They said, "okay we'll do the imprint" and then when I gave them the card they demanded that I sign or they wouldn't give it back to me! What a professional way to treat a platinum member.

So, I was forced to sign off on all those illegitimate charges, including the one night stay in the Vomit Honeymoon Suite. Thank gosh I paid with Amex, which is investigating the whole debacle.

I have contacted Holiday Inn corporate and they sent back some canned response and essentially do not care what goes on at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, which I find disappointing and a terrible reflection of the company.

If you value your money and expect sanitary habitation out of a hotel, *do not* stay at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, or don't say I didn't warn you!

[as an aside, this hotel is about 20-30 minutes from the interesting parts of Cartagena, which costs about $7 in a taxi each way, if I could do it all over again, I'd have stayed somewhere within walking distance]

Room Tip: Choose one without vomit (perhaps by staying at another hotel).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank 12TrueBlue
HotelCtg, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Cartagena Morros, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
It is very important to us as members of a chain with high international standards, improve our services every day and the experiences we provide to our guests. We reviewed in detail each of the situations presented during your stay to make the necessary corrections to ensure the improvement and optimization of our processes. It was very important for us to receive your comments and the opportunity for improvement that has given us.

Best regards,

John Mario Villarraga
Revenue Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was in town for a conference, and had no choice since the organizers booked the hotel for me. When I heard it was a Holday Inn, I was expecting something basic but serviceable. Surprise surprise - this is just about the nicest Holiday Inn i have ever seen. Cool and modern, right on the beach, with huge rooms, free wi-fi, great restaurant, attentive staff, business facilities and a pool/gym. Sort of like a business-resort. It is close to the airport and a 10 minute cab right to the historical areas of town. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TO_Globetrotter
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stay almost a week and i did feel very comfortable in this brand new hotel. The room was very nice (920) with a wonderful sea view. The staff is very kind and try the best to help you in all matters ( i do not speak spanish ). The pool is very nice during the week, weekend it is a bit crowded. You can have a nice walk at the beach, special during sunset. For smokers- there is no smoking room and a penalty of USD 100 if you smoke in the room, a bit strange but ok. Will come back to this Hotel !!

Room Tip: Ask fot sea view like room 920
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sunny B
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed here in Dec 2011. Not sure when they opened but it seemed that the staff were new to their jobs. Service was good. Staff was always keen to help us out. Breakfast butfer was a bit hit or miss but once we figured out was we liked it was good. Pool was great. Gym was good except the air conditioner didn't work so it felt like we were working out in a greenhouse. Restaurant was nice but pricey. Rooms were beautiful but as the hotel was new there were minor problems (door lock). I thought we would have a water view but the hotel isn't exactly facing the ocean dead on we ended up with a view of the next building. All in all we had a great stay!

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Nharcs
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Excelent Staff, happy people that go out of their way to make your stay one to remmeber.
The hotel is new, great decor (really nice!), good food - I actually congratulated the kitchen staff (i don´t do this very often...); nice swimming pool, nice, nice, nice.
Ñow and then thére are some flaws but nothing out of the ordinary, stuff that usually happens on any hotel, but staff straight away makes things better .
This is my 2nd stay there and definetly there´ll be a 3rd one :)

Room Tip: I´ve stayed at 501 (superior room, a lot of space and beautiful decor) and also 201 (smaller, stand...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Claudinha1973
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I love the way people treated me and the service was great. Place is brand new and still have some things but I totally loved it

• Stayed December 2011