“Intimate B&B in great area”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Casa Abril

Hotel Casa Abril
Ranked #30 of 159 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Intimate B&B in great area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Casa Abril is the cheapest place I found in the worthwhile San Diego area. Cartagena can give off a sketchy vibe at night, but the walk to this B&B always felt safe.

Great air conditioning, good wifi, warm staff.

The walls are thin, but we stayed during the off season. The included breakfast is nothing to write home about.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Epitax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
N
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

- Great location
- Room smells nice
- Basic breakfast
- tERRIBLY noisy in the morning as the room is at the breakfast area and 2 m away from the reception
- taxi airport to hotel is 10000 cop
- can get in and out 24 hours a day

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Hopetohelpyou
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

pro: nice position friendly staff clean rooms good price
negative: small rooms bad wi-fi internet average breakfast (arepas-zumo-fruta-leche-cafe-tostadas marmelada cereals)
definetely the right place to stay a couple of days!

Room Tip: take the room from nr 103 (or specify rooms far from reception 102 and 103 are too noisy) if u nee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed with a friend in a small room on the garden area, this rooms have A/C and are very quiet, allowing you to comfortably sleep. The first time I intended to have a shower, there was no hot water but after asking the staff, they explained to me that there was a switch in the superior part of the shower that allows you to choose the amount of hot water you want and cold water was selected previously (I just had to ask!), the i did'n have any hot water problems then. Breakfast was good. The staff was very helpful and gave us good advice on tours, places to visit and restaurants. The location is excellent and in walking distance of every interesting site. Worth the price!

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in the garden area, so if you wake up late you may have some morning noise in th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paola L
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place seemed pretty good at first. We liked the service from the people that worked there, we liked the room, price was alright. However, we encountered a huge problem there. We had one of the first floor rooms along the garden area. The third night we were there, it rained in the middle of the night. I got out of bed, and found that our room apparently doubles, each time it rains, as the hotel swimming pool. There was about 3 to 4 inches of water through the entire room. With two people in the room, there is not enough furniture surface space to place both bags and all personal items on top of something. Therefore, one of our two backpacks was completely soaked, along with every single item & article of clothing in it. Also, every item that was placed on the tile foor, including a laptop, was drenched. We had a quad-band mobile that was inside the backpack which was also destroyed. Four days later, back in Denver, I could still hear water sloshing around inside the laptop. For how much water everything soaked up, the room must have flooded a couple hours prior to when I woke up. Eventually, the owner guy appeared, and tried to sweep the water out of the room. My friend asked why he did not warn us to not place anything on the floor, he claimed this was the first time this occured. However, we visited during a time that Cartagena gets only moderate rainfall. I imagine in the rainy season, it would be impossible to rent the room, as daily rain would certainly flood those floor level rooms. The place has been open a couple years, it is almost impossible to believe out of hundreds of rainstorms (or just the typical wet season), only this one regular storm flooded the room. I would not blame them for anything if they only informed us "Hey, do not put anything on the floor incase there is rain", or posted a sign inside the room to let us know. When we were checking out, my friend spoke with the owner to reasonably inquire about insurence- or a discount for the loss of the 500 dollar laptop. He said he was sorry, said he did not carry any insurence for the hotel, and he offered us $10 off our $260.00 bill. Yes, $10. Well, I hope that at least this information about the rooms will save someone else from waking up at 3am to any or all of their stuff floating around in an in-room swimming pool. We had problems the rest of the trip because of all the wet stuff we had to carry around. Even for what was dry, one of the backpacks was still soaked. I sincerely wish we had chosen a different hotel.

Room Tip: The review says it all, but if you accept a floor level room, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING on the floor. Wate...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Holly B
Amsterdam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

My partner and I did NOT like this B&B AT ALL! The service was really bad (from having to wait at the front desk for 15 minutes, while the receptionist was working on her finances just in front of me to not wanting to give a discount on the room rate for not having any hot water in our room and not caring that we paid for a room with hot water), the people (exept for 2 of the staff members) were not friendly. They were uninterested, uninformed and just careless. The room was REALLY ugly (everything had to be renovated: the walls, the floor, the plints...everything). It is really noisy, you hear every buzz on the street and trust me, I wasn't interested at all ;) Breakfast was nothing special: dry bread (almost everywhere in Colombia though), juice from a can and a bowl of cereal. Location was good though, everything was in walking distance. I really do NOT understand the good reviews about this B&B...I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! It was not a good experience and I would never ever return!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mhot
Aberdeen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I just spent a week in Cartagena and stayed at Hotel Casa Abril on Calle Quero. There are two locations, the other one is next to the Hotel Santa Clara.

The hotel itself is in a perfect location in the San Diego district right next to El Centro. The walled city is such a small place that we felt that we could walk from our hotel to anywhere of interest within 5 to 10 minutes.

The staff there is very friendly. We barely spoke any Spanish so it was very difficult to communicate but that is our fault, not theirs. One of the owners, I believe his name was Alfonso or Alfredo spoke English, which was a big help.

There are 7 or so rooms in the B&B, all of which are a little different. We stayed at the room on their top floor, which included 2 twin beds put together to make a king, a bathroom, flat screen TV, and a tiny little balcony.The room came with AC which was a great relief in the Cartagena heat. I don't think the smaller rooms downstairs had private bath or AC but I can't be sure. We paid 700,000 pesos for a 5 night stay (about $350) which was a fabulous rate considering that can't even get you one night at some of the swanky hotels. There is nothing luxurious about Casa Abril but it is very charming with a cute courtyard and a very nice homey feel.

We read on tripadvisor from other reviewers about how bad the breakfast was. I am a fairly picky eater and I didn't think it was that bad at all. Each morning we had decent coffee, some toast and an arepa. Another day we have cereal with fruits and a strawberry smoothie. It is better than most continental breakfasts we get in the USA at mid level hotels in my opinion.

The housekeeper cleans your room everyday and is very nice as well.

Overall a pleasant place in the best of locations and a fabulous deal. Recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple