“Fine Memories of Makako”

Makako Chill Out Hostel
Ranked #93 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Cartagena
Kingston, New York
“Fine Memories of Makako”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed my last night in Cartagena here, it's fine, relaxed and relaxing 'packers' hostel, clean and with nicely aircon'd dorm rooms. Viviana went way above and beyond in friendliness and guiding us where we wanted to go. The common room and balconies are very pleasant. Location is perfect in the Walled City.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I originally had booked to stay at this hostel for 5 nights in Cartagena. Upon arrival, I paid my fee in full then was shown the dorm I would be staying in (mistake). Terrible - super small for 8 people, the passage to the ensuite bathroom was impossible to access, flashing blue neon light right outside the window next to my bunk, super dirty. I approached the staff explaining I couldn't stay at their inadequate hostel. I said I would be willing to forfeit my first nights payment but would like the refund for the remaining nights. The resulting experience was awful - I was lied to, I was yelled at, and ultimately did not get any of my money back even though my bunk was rented out to another patron. It flavored my stay in this otherwise fine city. Much better options - Casa Nativa was a better option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Cartagena hotels

Baltimore
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My friends and I got to Cartagena around midnight the first day of our trip and made it to this hostel. Well, we ended up at the other Makako hostel, but the staff there were super friendly and walked us over to our hostel and set us up. The restroom was decent, the room was great with solid A/C, and the lounge was very relaxed with comfy couches and a good breeze. The house lemonade is as good as everyone says, definitely have a glass!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Makako in December 2013. We had initially booked 3 nights but extended an extra night as we wanted more time in Cartagena. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by "Vivi" who gave us a cup of ice cold homemade lemonade to cool us down from the ferocious sun. The staff at the hostel are what makes this such a great place to stay at. The room was a good size, the 6 bed dorm we had had air con and the sheets are cleaned everyday. There is a communal lounge with a large TV and sofas, chairs and tables, which makes you feel at home. The location is brilliant, only being a few minutes walk from all the major sights within the old city,.
The only thing that stopped this from getting a 5/5 is the fact that there are only 2 showers and there can be a bit of a stampede in the mornings. However, we just got up a little earlier to avoid that anyway.

Room Tip: Go for the 6 bed rather than the 5 bed dorm, as only the 6 bed has A/C for only 2000 peso's extr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dougie H
Cartagena
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay ! We felt very comfortable in the hostel. The location is fantastic , not too loud but very central with loads of restaurants within walking distance.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful :)
Highly recommended

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kimberly M
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff here are super friendly and nice! Really the best part about the hostel, beside the fact it's really clean. They had a pot of tinto ready in the morning and got us a cup. Then when we came back they wanted to know what we'd done that day even though they must have heard it a hundred times before.

The air con wasn't very effective in the rooms so it was still very sticky and there wasn't any outlets we could find but otherwise it was great.

Word of warning: there's a bar on plaza Fernando De Madrid nearby called casa del habano which tried to rip us off by giving us cocktails with no alcohol in them. Then they pretty much admitted it and gave us an extra half shot each. We didnt drink it or pay for it in the end. This should be another review but unsurprisingly I can't find them on TA.

• Stayed November 2013
Brazil
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I sort of expected they'd miss my reservation as this hostel seems completely lost and the managers clueless! anyways at least I had a bed to sleep on, rooms are cramped (I'm a small guy), cleaning is a problem and the hostel attracts dodgy clientele. After 3 days there I booked somewhere else! If you want to do laundry they'll rip you off, but some of the cleaning ladies will "voluntarily" offer their (not allowed) service for a lower price, psssttt just don't tell the owners.
Once in CTG, I won't be looking for makako chill out, even if I run out of options.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo