“Morden and clean, but unpersonal”

Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar
Ranked #27 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here over new year, and overall we were happy with the hotel. The room was large (spacious for a family of 4), clean and modern. The bathroom was good and the beds comfortable. We had a big balcony, but the room was not facing the road so we did not use it much. This place feels like a beach resort and there is a number of pools (including an adult only on the roof). The beach is nice, but the sand is not your usual white coral sand but quite dark volcanic sand. The food is very average (but the breakfast is good) and service is not quick or very alert (we had to wait for over an hour for a couple of soups). The shuttle to the old town has been discontinued, but a taxi is just 12 000 peso so that is not a big deal. The hotel also have a pick-up service at the airport.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank samuul
GerenciaLasAmericas, Community Manager at Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Las Américas Torre del Mar as your vacation destination. Your feedback and comments regarding your stay will contribute to our continuous improvement.

We are glad that you are delighted with our facilities, especially our spacious and comfortable rooms, as well as our pools and the beach. Regarding the color of the sand on our beaches, it is due to the flow of the Magdalena River into the adjacent city. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful, warm and clean beach.

We regret that while you relished our Caribbean breakfasts, you did not enjoy the rest of our exquisite cuisine. On the other hand, please accept our apologies if food service delays were an inconvenience. Unfortunately, the high season led to a great demand for our services. However, we have already taken steps to ensure this does not occur in the future. We currently have a Production Center which helps to make dish preparation faster and more delicious.

We hope to see you again so you may enjoy more of our resort. Please feel free to share with us your photographs and additional experiences at Las Américas Torre del Mar.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Checkin terrible: disorganized and lengthly. The receptionists are sort of confused and swing up and down rather sleepy, mixing the guests checking in and out. Porters are even more messy. Great service at the restaurant (evening or breakfast time), but rather limited choice of food.
The beach nearby dirty and unpleasant.

Room Tip: elegant and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jaroslaw S
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A very nice recent building , an especially attractive swimming pool on the roof (10th floor) , an excellent formal restaurant at night ( Erre ) also on the roof . People generally nice and helpful . Suites are large , comfortable and clean .
The beach is penalized by the grey color of the volcanic sand and the lack of coral reef .
If you survived 9/11 maybe you will not appreciate the planes taking off or landing right in front of the hotel .
Details to be improved :
the breakfast restaurant is planned for handling a lot of people in a short time , that doesn't help the food quality .
It is not the best idea to have carpets in the lobbies upstairs , they already look so so.
The choice of drinks in the bar was disappointing , no Piña Colada , no Caipirinha ...

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I would only recommend staying here if you are going to Cartagena on business. And if you are going to Cartagena on business I would recommend the Hilton over Las Americas.
It is a nice big hotel on the beach. I did not use the pools but they looked great. That's about it.
It's not worth the price.
The service is so so.
The wifi is intermittent.
If you really want to experience Cartagena stay in the center. I recommend El Marques.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel could well be a five star experience but the interaction with the reception staff is so annoying that it becomes a negative experience from the moment you check inn.

I was told at arrival that they only had one room left in the category I was paying but I could upgrade if I wanted. I was paying US$200 with is an average price for Cartagena. So I was given a very noisy room, with noise from the air conditioning machinery in the hotel. I decided to check out and when I went back to the reception person she "miraculously" found a better room. It was 6 pm. Next morning I realized the hotel was not full. I checked with the maids and they told me less than 50% of the rooms were occupied. Why would the reception person insist in giving me a noisy room? I am still waiting for an answer. The public relations person in the hotel said the rooms were probably not ready. Not ready at 6 pm, when I checked in? She had no other explanation.

I stayed for 4 days. Cartagena is a great city and the beach is wonderful at Las Americas. The food is nothing special at the hotel but Cartagena has great restaurants. The rooms have been re-decorated and they are pleasant with lovely balconies and beautiful gardens. The bathrooms are very adequate. There are several great pools and many other amenities. I really like the beach kiosks and the beach area is lovely. i also enjoyed the live entertainment after dinner. the restaurant and beach staff are friendly and nice.

I did not like the feeling of emptiness in the public areas of the hotel during my stay. The pools and the restaurants had less than 10 people where 80 could be served. I also found that the music played in the beach area is too loud and bothersome when you try to listen to the sea.

My conclusion is that style of the reception staff is turning people away. Cartagena has other wonderful options and in other hotels they make you feel welcome and they try to please you particularly when they have few clients and lots of empty rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Himelda
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very convenient, excellent service, only draw back was not such good internet connection and only one restaurant available apart from the sports bar. Pending opening of their Spanish restaurant which sounds like it will be a great addition to the property.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ToniAguirre
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Cartagena is getting more and more expensive.As prices go up you will expect a better service,food etc,however this is not the case.I use to be a regular at Cartagena on Holidays not anymore,so I gave it a chance.The hotel located next to the airport so taxi is a must but to pay 15.000 pesos ($7us)for a one way trip on a private car(not a taxi)is too much.The service is no were to be found(we stay for a week and we had no ht water on the shower)food is bad and expensive.Quality is not a priority in the hotel,I will not recomend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family