“A good not pretentious option” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chef Julian

Chef Julian
Ranked #129 of 660 Restaurants in Cartagena
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It has another branch in Bogota on Av. 19
Bogota, Colombia
“A good not pretentious option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was looking for a very good but informal place to have dinner in the Bocagrande area in Cartagena. I read the reviews and decided to go to this place. It is located in a traditional house, which gives it a special atmosphere; it's not crowded so you can have a chat with your friends and a quite dinner. I tried the oysters and the seafood soup and both where very good. The sangria is a must. The service is good and Marcial, one of the waiters, was very gentle all the time. I recommend this place if you do not want a pretentious restaurant but good food.

• Visited May 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Maybe they should stick to paella”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Walked in here on a whim as we,like other reviewers, were looking for food near the Hilton we were staying at (which had abysmal food). Judging by the other reviews, maybe our mistake was in not ordering the paella, but who knew everything else they serve here would be so bad.

Service was fine, and the garlic bread they start you on is passable, though should have been toasted longer as only about a tenth of it had any crunch to it. Strangely, this was the only thing that wasn't overcooked. The asparagus au gratin tapa came out as a big soupy mush. They must have boiled the asparagus over night to create the consistency that got put in front of us.

Following suit, the lamb was cooked to a crisp, dry as dead moth wings, and was accompanied by mediocre greasy fries. Extremely underwhelming meal, and expensive at that.

The kicker: when the waiter asked what we thought of the lamb, and we explained that it had been overcooked, he simply shrugged and walked away. Why even ask?

The only thing keeping this review above two stars is the sangria, which was admittedly well done. As I said, perhaps their chef is a one trick paella pony, so just avoid the rest of the menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious Marisco's en cazuela”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

My hotel recommended Chef Julian's, which I had seen while walking back from the bay. The dining room has cloth covered table cloths and napkins. I thought the restaurant was too formal for my relaxed presence in shorts and flip-flops. But I was welcomed and the food was delicious. I ordered Sangria, which the waiter recommended. It came to the table in a medium sized drinking glass, loaded with fresh fruit and tasting great. A salad was wonderful, particularly because it's been hard to get good salads and vegetables in Cartagena. The Marisco's Soup was wonderful. There was a large variety of seafood including fresh fish, octopus, calamari, oysters and clams. Add some lime juice and homemade spicy sauce and the dish was unbeatable. I'm going back tonight!

• Visited April 2013

great service and atmosphere
beautiful environment
exceptionally good staff
and food quality exceptional
definitely make your way here!!!

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“The Paella Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

At every table I saw at least one order of paella. This is an upscale restaurant, nice for a date, very family friendly or for business. Great atmosphere. I started with the house sangria, fruity and delicious. For the main dish I ordered the arroz con mariscos which is basically a seafood paella. The waiter told me it will take about 45 minutes to be ready. No problem with me, I am on vacation after all. For the appetizer I ordered just the house salad, very fresh, herby and tasty. The seafood paella was outstanding, I could not finish it by myself. They also have a house special paella with a minimum for two persons. Price is high, but worth it.

• Visited June 2012