“Credit Card Machine Didn't Work”
Review of Casa Tatis

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Casa Tatis
Ranked #130 of 178 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We specically looked for a hotel that took credit as we didn't want to pay with cash as this was a business trip and needed to be expensed. They have credit card signs on the door, however the machine was always "broken" or "not working" and we were forced to pay with cash. Nice and clean, no street noise even though it was a great location very near the busy street. The morning and overnight desk staff were wonderful, however the mid-day / afternoon girl was extremely rude and unhelpful. Would definitely stay again even considering the rude girl!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I booked a room at Casa Tatis and my reservation was confirmed, but when I arrived I was told that I will be staying at different hostel down the block. They just said they are part of the same hotel group. No explanation, apology or anything. I surely understand that overbooking does happen from time to time, but there is a better way to handle the situation such as by giving me a sincere apology or discount. If I knew I'd be transferred to the hostel I was put in, I'd have canceled my reservation in advance, but as I found out on arrival during the busy holiday season I had no choice but to stay at the different hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank GreenGut
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a really great stay at Casa Tatis. It's a great alternative to the hostel vibe happening on the main road around the corner in Getsemani. It's location is perfect, a few doors down from Club Havana and a short walk to the old town. We spent a few days here, stayed a night in Playa Blanca and returned unexpectedly; though staff were accommodating and ensured we had a room to stay in. Both rooms had great air conditioning and DirectTV, bathrooms were tidy, though we did have a flooding issue with one of the showers. Breakfast is a bit light on, so we went elsewhere.
Staff assisted us in booking onward transport and keeping us informed about things to do. Not a lot of English spoken but attempts at Spanish are appreciated. We felt very welcomed and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I did a week trip to Cartagena with my boyfriend, We stayed 3 days at a hotel near the beach and the rest at Casa Tatis. This hotel is pretty nice for the price, just 40 dollars p/night. The staff is kind, the woman who makes breakfast is always willing to give you a cup of coffee when you get to the room. Don't expect great furniture or swimming pool because this place doesn't have it.

Finally...what it's coolest is the location, because the old city is pretty close and you always can walk and have a good time there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mpni1985
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were looking for a nice place to stay in Cartagena and we wrote to Casa Tatis asking for a room with a bed for two people and private bathroom. The booking process was very difficult because they were asking me to make a deposit in a bank, however the room reservation was not effective until I emailed the copy of the bank deposit, and they couldn't make any promise of giving the money back between that gap so that was very imprecise.
I specifically said that I was looking for a "cama doble" - (queen size bed). and they said they had one room that had A/C and a double bed, with private bathroom. But of course it was very pricey. It seemed to be so nice that we decided to try it. When we got there, we were surprised to find that they put two singe beds, with separate mattresses together and they made the bed in such way that you couldn't tell that was the case until we were about to sleep so initially It looked like a huge, nice bed. It was VERY unconfortable and the A/C was loud and did not have temperature control so we had to wake up several times in the night to adjust the temperature. Also, the bathroom does not have a door, so it ends up being only one space with the room separated through one wall.
Additionally, at nights, the person in charge of the hostel had meetings with friends until very late at night, and were loud. Even, when we got there one night there was someone who was not staying in the hostel sleeping in one of the coaches in the common room. We thought it was very unprofessional.
The "breakfast" that they offer is really cold bread with butter/jelly and coffee, or cereal with yogurt, or arepa de huevo (which is not even made in the hostel).
Maria Eugenia, the main staff person during the day was great, very patient and helpful with the plans for the day, and the lady that was cleaning and "making" the breakfast too. But the impression is that the hostel is not very clean either.
The location is great, but the prices are way much too high for what they have to offer. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. It is too pricey.

Room Tip: The rooms that are not on the street side are quieter.