“Good Tasting Food”

Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
New York City, New York
“Good Tasting Food”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Similar menu to the better choice down the block, La Cocina de Soccoro, but delicious food in a plain functional layout.

Visited January 2014

portugal
“Average”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The relation between price and quality is ok. We went there, because we've confused the "socorros" . Is good better and cheaper then the other. The staff is friendy, "ambience" ...never mind.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible arroz con mariscos...Awful Service”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I spent 6 days in Cartagena and finally visited "Donde Socorro" on May 2nd for an amazing lunch that ended up being one of the worst restaurant experiences that I've had in my life. The service is terrible. The restaurant was busy and me and my friend stood there for a while, completely ignored by the staff members until one of the servers noticed we were waiting for a table and finally invited us to have a seat. Some of my friends in New York City and Colombia highly recommended this restaurant. I was told their seafood is the best in town. The whole experience was nothing but a big disappointment. We ordered two appetizers: fried calamari and chicharron de pescado (fried fish).We got pieces of dry fried fish with no sauce and the waitress seemed annoyed when we asked for some tartar sauce which came to the table when we were just about to finish our first course. Once again ..service is poor and slow. We were offered some plantains with "suero costeño" which is a local recipe made out of milk and cheese but the one we got at Socorro's was by far the worst I tasted during my entire stay in Cartagena. Their suero was sour and you could see it was not fresh at all. I brought that up to the server's attention and her answer was: " Well ...that's what we have and all tables are getting the same". When I told her that it tasted bad, she smiled at me by shrugging her shoulders and disappearing. I got over it and thought my main course would be different and taste good. I ordered Arroz con mariscos (Seafood rice). What a terrible mistake! The rice was red. I found three small pieces of shrimp and I believe they threw a minimal amount of some chewy chopped octopus or calamari which had no flavor at ALL. I tried to add flavor with some of their hot sauce but still no flavor at all. I gave up and couldn't have another bite. My friend order the sea bass which was ok but nothing memorable. The restaurant is extremely overpriced for the quality of food and service. I had much better meals in Cartagena and there are so many good options for seafood and local gastronomy. I don't recommend this place. Save time and money! Avoid this pretentious, overrated place which is far from being a "good restaurant".

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Quitonyc1973
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really terrible food!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

4 people in our party-- of all that we ordered only one appetizer and one entree was good. The best dish was a fresh fish in garlic... Otherwise all the other sea food dishes were not just poor
But in a couple of dishes just indelible .

• Visited March 2013
Longwood,FL
“Make sure you go to the real Socorro and not the others”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Dona Socorro has passed away and her children split up the name. The original one is this one, Her daughter and the coronel run the place and its a great lunch time experience. Whne you go there tell her Puerto RIco recommend you to visit. She will know what you mean. Enjoy.

Visited August 2012