“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #47 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Cartagena
Calamba, Philippines
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Pos: Cozy feel, I liked the room we had, it had a balcony.
Good mattress
Theres a safe in our room.
Free coffee

Neg: If not for the staff that told us that we had to move to another room at check out, which ruined our night and plans for the next day... Then I would have enjoyed my stay more.

Suggestion: ask guest first if they want to move or not before deciding for them.

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Let's put it this way. My first 2 nights in Cartegena, I stayed in a "new" hostel, but it was down right dirty. So I moved here and boy was it a change for the better. The hostel is a little worn down, but you can overlook that considering the following...

The place is clean clean clean. The dorms, the bathrooms, the kitchen, ALL. They even cleaned out my food in the fridge by accident.

Laundry is by the kilo. Plus, I had a few handwash items and they had no issue letting me wash them by myself and hanging them on the clothesline.

There is a TV room, 2 laptops with internet, WiFi, and they also help to organize trips.

My first night was frigid, so I asked if they could turn down the a/c to a more comfortable temp the following night and they were happy to oblige with no issue.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

hostel is so and so, very hot and 2 bathrooms only but the staff makes up for it! they are extremely pleasant and helpfull!!
they accept no bookings... which is weird but, if you get there by 12 you dont have to wait to know if you can stay or not

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Denver
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed in a three bed dorm (a set of bunk beds and a double up in a loft. Very spacious and comfortable enough. I showed up extremely sick and both the staff and other guests were very accomodating of my need for the bathroom. The staff even tried to find me a single room at another hotel but everything was booked. They have fast internet on some shared laptops but do not have a good common space. The location and price are good.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We didn't end up staying the night here as we stayed with a friend in Cartagena. However, we visited this hostel a few times as they organized day trips (mud volcano) which was really fun and we wanted to meet more people. The mud volcano day-trip was amazing...it was well-organized and we ate lunch by the water :) We met some cool people who were went to dance salsa with later that night. Also, they organize door-to-door service from their hostel to Taganga. They booked us a place in Taganga but it was terrible so we had to move to another hostel. This bus service is definitely worth it as the bus station is 1 hr outside Cartagena so it's expensive to even get out there. This hostel took all the hassle out of planning these details and we really appreciated it even though we didn't spend the night there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cartagena
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed in Casa Viena for ages, it´s such a cool place, you can chill and relax over here! The staff is nice and friendly, always helpful, girls from receptions Ana y Laidys are adorable, if you are planning to go to Panama by boat, they know and work with many good boats, they also have a travel agency, organizing trips to interesting places around Cartagena. The location is awesome too, just in a heart of Getsemani. I loved the kitchen, it´s like a balcony and in the evening it´s full, so you have chance to meet interesting people, eat something home made, free coffee all the time.They do have a leaving room, with huge flat TV and sofas to chill, but common who watch TV when you in Cartagena! You have dorms with aircon, beds, bed sheets everything you need to have a nice sleep. For me, the most important thing, when I travel is the ambiance of the place, and Casa Viena is just like home, very recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Roksana P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We booked this hostel after reading about it in Lonely Planet and the. U freaked out because the Tripadvisor reviews were shocking. Fair enough when we got there they didn't have our booking (we had emailed to change the dates of our booking but they had confirmed) and they had no beds spare but instead of telling us to go elsewhere they said we could sleep in the common room free of charge. The man working put a matress in there and sheets and was wet apologetic. The next night they gave us a beautiful room with a balcony. Staff were all really friendly and helpful. The place was cleaned all the time and it wasn't dark and horrible like other reviews say. It's in a great spot with fantastic restaurants nearby-Indian porsdesh, gato Negro and Colombo-Italiana are all right by and delicious food. I recommend this hostel!!

• Stayed February 2012