“Remembering New Orleans”
Review of Pasteleria Mila

Pasteleria Mila
Ranked #6 of 20 Dessert in Cartagena
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ila is a sweet and loving idea born in 2006 when I opened my first pastry, bakery and cafe in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. Sought to create a place full of details and magic place to accompany the breads, desserts and recipes lovingly created, cooked and always dreamed of. Today, we are located in the walled city and soon will be in Bogota! I always wanted my site covering all tastes and times of my clients, that is why any time of day can come and antojarte what you want. The hope!
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went on a Sunday at noon to pick up a table at the next door Q Design store (unfortunately closed on Sundays) and noticed this bakery and sweet shop called Mila's which we entered without any predeterminations or recommendations about the quality of the eatery.

The motif is French and the art emphasis is on hens and roosters. Very french and reminded me of the pastry shops in the French Quarter of New Orleans (i.e. Café du Monde). The background music was 30's blues (Bessie Smith) giving the place a warm friendly ambience which reminded me of my childhood in NOLA. visiting places like this for ice cream and sweet cakes.
The tables and chairs are wooden and very close together making for rather limited space and movement between tables.

A limited wine selection also so we opted for water which was served in an overpriced small plastic bottle with Mila's name on the label (US$2.00). The waitresses were very friendly though the service was a little slow (about an hour from start to finish).

We ordered the tomato pomodor soup (US$7.00) (100% tomato) - Very good. and the stewed meat dish (Posta Cartagenera), also very tasty, came with a small salad - coconut rice but alas only one small patacon (fried plantain) (US$16). The sandwiches and wraps being served to nearby tables also looked inviting (on our list for our next visit) and the people had smiles on their faces as they ate them.

The after lunch drinks (one espresso coffee - one capuchino) were delicious and served with a little banana bread square and a small glass of spearment flavored water as a side) Nice touch!

Desert was, of course, a torched Creme Brûlée. While we didn't order any more pastries we were certainly aware of the large amount of these sweets being served to the other patrons nearby which can only mean they were very good (The pastries not the patrons).

All in all a definite visit for breakfast or lunch or even dinner even though the bakery is not set up for formal dining. A sweet tooth can become addicted to this place so be forewarned if you are a chocolate fan.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Abuse. We ordered some cakes and chocolates. We wanted normal water but they forced us to drink their brand. A little plastic 100 cc cost US$2.50 . Also my wife wanted a little bit of milk to unsweet the terrible sweetened chocolate milk. They brought a little glass with about four spoons. They billed one dollar of milk. This is abuse. Never will go there again.

2  Thank Cesar H
Reviewed January 9, 2013

OMG.. the cakes in here are to die for, and having sat down and ordered a banana daiquiri (I am on holiday after all!) and then a pita bread chicken and pesto wrap, i thought i was full until i managed to find room for several spoonfuls of pure chocolate cake, and my favourite, a chocolate cheesecake. Needless to say, it was a great, indulgent lunch!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate lunch at Mila, & the food was decent, but the service was very sub-par. The space is very tiny/cramped. There are many better restaurants in Cartagena.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Rib eye is the best beef you can have in Cartagena. great desserts, good variety of options for lunch. Great place.