“Great food” 4 of 5 bubbles

La Casa de Socorro
Ranked #108 of 661 Restaurants in Cartagena
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Soups, South American, Colombian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bogota, Colombia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The food was really really good. Well, starters were just ok, but the main dishes were amazing.
Regarding servise, I have nothing bad to say. The restaurant was almost empty, so service was quick and proper.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Chicago, Illinois
“excellent food but terrible service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The seafood stew and ceviche were amazing! Too bad that we had to waif almost an hour to get our food.

“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

The restaurant was recommended as a great place for typical local food.

The food was fine; seafood was fresh, all properly cooked. Presentation/creativity were low. Prices are on the high side, but we knew that going in.

Atmosphere was nice. We ate on a nice verandah on the 2nd floor.

Service was cold, haphazard and hurried. Entrees arrived mins after appetizers were served. Wine didn't arrive until much later. The bill however, came quickly.

I'd give this place a pass despite any referrals you may receive. I suggest they are coasting a bit. There are MANY better dining options in Cartagena.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
“Rip Off, Poor service with subpar food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Complete ripoff. I came here on the suggestion of the staff at the hotel I was staying at. I was quite disappointed. From the moment I sat down, I already knew it wasn't going to be very pleasant. The Staff did not seem like they wanted to help and just had an unhappy demeanor about them.

I tried ordering the lobster but the waiter said they had ran out. Only to see other tables get the option of choosing which lobster they would dine on for the night. I was quite upset at that point, I wasn't sure if it was a miscommunication or what but clearly they had plenty of lobster left.

I ended up ordering some steak which was quite chewy and bland. The meal was overly expensive and they included tip which was ridiculous.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anybody, unless you enjoy getting bad service and getting your pockets emptied.

1 Thank Nhat T
Brooklyn, New York
“Meh - expensive seafood with average flavor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Saying "expensive seafood" in Cartagena is redundant, but I can't help myself. We grabbed lunch at Casa de Socorro and had a perfectly average experience. I ordered the seafood with rice (think paella) and it came with a bowl of fish soup. The food was fine - nothing exciting or particularly delicious. The service was efficient, but not too friendly. Our bill came out to about $40 for two people. Oddly enough, we later learned that we could have gotten a more affordable, and tasty meal, within the city walls at one of the cafes around the square.