“Stuck with the Colombian middle class”

Cartagena Premium Hotel
Ranked #152 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Unless you are Coombian middle class yourself and book one of their all inclusive packages with mediocre lunch and dinner included (i.e. You save money for not needing to eat out in fairly expensive Cartagena), don't go yo this hotel.

The worst two aspects are that there are only two elevators for 20 floors. Therefore you will spend often much time in an overcrowded elevator with lots of fat people, plus employees who seem to use the elevator just for fun.

The location is close to Boca Grande, but don't expect much if that beach. If you like the pictures of the pool on the rooftop: it's super windy up there, and the pool is quiet dirty as people use it as a shower replacement if the water doesn't work (which happens quiet frequently).

My general suggestion: sleep for two nights in the city center of Cartagena (which is beautiful and.safe), and if you want beach then go to Santa Marta or Targanga.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Wavewatcher600

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had friends staying at the Premium in Cartagena last summer and I decided to go back only because my friends were staying there. Well...I was pleasantly surprised to see that there have been many good changes in the hotel since my last stay. They have new people in charge and they have moved things around for the good.
The check in process is faster and cordial, the girls there don't speak English well, but they can communicate the most important things. I got a very good room with ocean view, a safe and a very comfy bed. The bathrooms have been improved too.
I had the meal plan to have breakfast, lunch and dinner, the food was fine and it is a buffet style, they varied it every day too.
The hotel is located in front of the Naval Base and that gives you a sense of safety, even though Cartagena is extremely safe and very well guarded. You can walk two blocks to the west on San Martin and you are in the coolest area of Bocagrande.
I have changed my mind about Premium.

Room Tip: Make sure they give you a room facing the ocean not the bay. The sunsets are wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gringotraveler2008
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I see people complain too much about Costa del Sol, Palmarenas and Cartagena Premium. I can tell that Cartagena Premium is awful because I was there and they had a big problem with my reservation and the owners are a Spanish couple. The Spanish lady gave orders to employees to fit 13 people in a suite because our reservations were messed up! She said that the solution should be to set additional beds in one suite. I won't come back to these hotels anymore in my life!

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Diego O
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The locations is not near anything, it is not a good idea to leave the hotel by yourself at night unless you take a taxi at the door.
I have stayed there twice in the past.
They used to be acceptable, but they went downhill with new staff and THEY DONT CARE about guests nor do they know the meaning of hospitality. I think the satff is not well trained or is underpaid. If I am not mistaking the owner is a guy from Spain that also owns Costa del Sol, that is what I overheard in the lobby. They have changed the name of the hotel three times with four new administrative personnel, not a good sign.
I must admit, however, that due to the fact that the Naval Base wall is in front of the hotel kind of gives you a sense of protection.
Make sure you have a safety box in your room, it seems like they only have them in the upper floors.
The bathrooms are way too small! One good thing: They give you a free drink during the happy hour by the swimming pool on the top floor.

Room Tip: Check the room BEFORE you move in and turn on the minisplit air conditioning unit
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gringotraveler2008
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I worked in hotels my whole life. I would not stay here ever again. The value for money is really not worth it. Pay a little extra and find a known brand and have a better experience in Cartagena.

The rooms are not clean. Something was falling onto my clothing from the ceiling and still have no idea what it was. Walls are dirty and moldy, the only seat in my room was old and musty. i would not sit on it if you paid me. No closet to put your things away, however there is something to hang your things on but they don't provide coat hangers. The bathroom was so small i had to sit sideways on the toilet just so i could fit on it. Holes in the ceiling everywhere. The bathroom window has not been cleaned since they opened i think cos the calcium build up from the shower is very thick. Mold in all the corners of the shower. No safes in the rooms either.

The breakfast was absolutely disgusting. What they prepared i would not feed my dog. They made something called salchichon which i have no idea what it is but is was absolutely foul. Their scrambled eggs had a weird flavor...not sure where they get their eggs from. their fruit is recycled from previous days cos is was stale and warm. the only thing i could eat was their pancakes. they seemed to be freshly prepared with butter and jam. the fruit juice is cheap powdered stuff which is unreal. i cant believe the breakfast for the price i paid.

please do yourself a favor and do not choose this hotel. I was trying to find a little hiden gem and really ended up getting what i paid for. plus i had a friend over and they charged me an extra person which added up to be more expensive than their double occupancy rooms which never made sense when i went to speak to the reservations manager. they kept bugging me for the extra charge and felt like they thought i wanted to leave with out paying so they kept coming up to my room and calling to ask when i was going to pay....i think that's really awful and felt like a thief.

I really felt ripped off and hope that you take my advise so you dont end up feeling the same. there are better hotels that dont cost that much more and i know for a fact are way better in value.

Dont stay in that hotel....its not worth it!!! oh and there is no 24hr room service. they only have buffet meals.

Room Tip: There are not best rooms. they are all dirty and grimy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Oh my God, I hate to say this but this is the worst hotel I ever stayed. I travel a lot but this hotel has nothing to offer. To begin, I arrive at 4:00pm and have to wait because the room is not ready. They don't speak English, the room is smelly & moldy. There is no closet where do I hang my clothes? No key to safety box, No HOT water,No internet, No towels. I tried to take a shower & waited & waited but no HOT water. The worst is there are water coming from my ceiling in the bathroom and smell like pee and ask the front desk is I can change the room she said NO English. There are holes in the room, the room are too noisy the windows are single panel you can hear the noise from outside close to busy street. The worst is the breakfast OMG its so gross to eat because there is no selection just a couple of old fruits & some cereal. NO internet in the room I have to go down on the lobby all the time to get an internet. If you want to enjoy your vacation PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.
Believe me you will be surprise I thought its close to the beach NOPE you have to walk like 5 to 7 blocks. Stay at Hotel Caribe or Hotel Estelar a little bit more but worth it. I left the following day because I was gross out with this hotel. I said I dont care if I pay more at least I enjoyed my new place & safe not like Hotel Cartagena Premuim like a flea market so many kids running back & forth. THE WORST HOTEL I EVER STAYED period.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank STR8HARDBODY
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I took a chance and decided to travel to the beautiful city of Cartagena from Bogota. I spent just under 250 dollars for a trip that included air travel, 4 night accommodation and 3 meals a day. I did worry however about the quality of the hotel. What I found was a perfectly nice building in the lovely Bocagrande. My room had lots of windows which gave me a gorgeous view of the city. The rooms are very clean and the food included on the package was very good.
Fresh Fish and vegetables, fruit juices and tasty soups. What I loved the most was the friendly staff always ready to make you feel comfortable. I shall return to this hotel on my next visit to Cartagena.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple