“Little gem in Cartagena”

La Cocina De Pepina
Ranked #33 of 796 Restaurants in Cartagena
Cuisines: Colombian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We serve traditional dishes from the Caribbean coast of Colombia. Come and enjoy our culture. Walk in restaurant.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We visited this restaurant on the recommendation of a restaurant owner in Cartagena and loved it. It may be a bit overpriced for some budget travelers, but it may be worth trying a few items on the menu at least once. My husband and I went for lunch and tried the grilled eggplant--fantastic, and shared the camarones in aguacate (shrimp in avocado) also delicious! For our main dish, we split the dorado asado which was juicy and well seasoned. The wine was a bit pricey by the glass so we opted for beer instead. The experience was great and we would eat here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Bottom line, the food is good here. My mahi mahi was better made than some places back in US where they charge 4x more. They have AC as well which is a nice way to beat the midday heat.

However, the cost is a lot higher than quoted on trip advisor. Expect to spend $20 per person minimum (I ordered one mid priced entree and a juice).

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am visiting from NY . I was invited to have lunch and I think it was one of the best I have ever had in this city which I visit every year . It is a small place with homemade food but really good .They have a variety of local food presented in a good way . If you are heading there you should call ahead of time because there are only 12 tables . I ordered the stuffed peppers and the caribbean soup which were really ...really good ...This is the second time this week . You can also order a sampler . I also recommend the cheese soup..(mote de queso) .Overall I think that any choice will be good . I highly recommend this place .....

1  Thank labe7000
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Decided to try this place after reading good reviews and wanting to try some local cuisine. Ordered 2 ceviches for appetizer which was some of the best have had. One Shrimp with a spicy broth. The other local fish which had a very lemony broth. For an entree ended of sharing a steak between two of us. We mentioned would share when we ordered and they very kindly brought out two very nicely plated steaks each with its own rice and sides. We thought they had made a mistake and brought us two entrees but they explained it was one for sharing. Might as well have been two entrees as had good portions enough to fill both of us up. The place is small with only 5 or 6 tables, but quaint. Best meal we've had so far in Cartagena.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have visited this place on countless occasions. The food is fantastic, the service is very attentive and polite and the food is typical and really tasty! The desserts are not my favorite, but the juices, apps and entrees are all great. I've never had something I did nor like. My favorite appetizer is the tuna escabeche or the ceviches. My favorite entrees are the mote de queso (yam and cheese soup, served with white coconut rice and plantain chips) and the grilled fish.

The food is abut pricier than other local places, but the portions are large, so it's great falue.i will continue to go frequently when in Cartagena.