“NINI CANNOT MAKE UP FOR ALL SHORTCOMINGS”
Review of Hotel Casa Gloria

Hotel Casa Gloria
Ranked #48 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I spent four nights at Casa Gloria. It is located inside the walled city and very reasonably priced for Cartagena. Nini, the manager, is an exceptional person whose personality, helpfulness, dedication, knowledge and willingness to serve make one feel more than at home. She made our stay in Cartagena pleasant. However, all her talent, knowledge and skills cannot compensate for the tiny, tiny room. The room was clean, the airconditioning fine, the bathroom comfortable, but the bed takes up 90% of the available space leaving no room for luggage or movement.

Room Tip: pay for the suite!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nealcr

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Spent three nights in this lovely, small hotel in the old walled city of Cartagena. Each morning breakfast was cooked and served when you showed up (as long as it was by 10 AM), and you could dine in an enclosed, lushly tropical courtyard if you wished. Except to take a taxi one day up to Conventa de la Popa (to avoid being run over), we could walk from the hotel and explore everywhere day or night. Cartagena is a magical city- so many well-known places to see but also unexpected surprises around most any corner! Nini and Victor (from the hotel) were excellent sources for sights to see, places to eat, and could give instructions on how to find them. I'd return in an instant!

Room Tip: We had a tiny, tiny room, but it was clean and cool. Besides, we live on a boat 8 months out of the...
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I just finished a five-night stay at Casa Gloria. It's a beautiful relaxing place with very kind, very helpful staff. The location was perfect for us -- right inside the old town but on the opposite side of the more touristy (eastern) section. There were many more locals in our part of town and far fewer hotels and upscale shopping spots.

Nini was such a warm and friendly hostess, great company in the mornings during breakfast (which was simple but very tasty). Victor, the other hotel aide, and Miguel were always thoughtful and helpful. The pool was perfect -- we used it every day (sometimes multiple times a day) to fend off the humidity, and it was always impeccably clean. There is also a delightful rooftop area with a little jacuzzi (which we did not use) and an even smaller deck that's up another 10 steps or so that lets you look out over much of the old town -- really great.

Our rooms were clean and freshened up every day, the A/C was strong and worked consistently. Our room was not large, and the hot shower water only lasted a 3-5 minutes (it replenished itself quickly, so if you want more, just wait a bit and it comes back) but otherwise it was a perfect stay.

Highly recommended and we'd most definitely return. Thanks to Nini and crew for a great stay! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the room right next to the parrot cage on the bottom floor. Very convenient and not noi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Casa Gloria. Nini Johanna, the day manager was fabulous-friendly, gracious, and attentive. She saw to our every need and smoothed over (m)any glitches. The location is great, walking distance to most of the attractions in the old walled city. Confirm what room you have before you go, some of the rooms are so small, that they can only fit the double bed and no other furniture, although the larger rooms and apartments are quite spacious. Nini Johanna was one of the bright highlights of our two week stay in Columbia.

Room Tip: Confirm what type/size of room you will have
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Casa Gloria in Cartagena, Colombia for a week in April of this year. In addition to staying at the Casa Gloria, we decided to spend a few days on the beach in Bocagrande at the Hotel Caribe (yes,the infamous Hotel Caribe). We arrived in Cartagena just after the news of the Secret Service scandal broke.

Our stay at the Casa Gloria was by far the best part of our trip. The Casa Gloria is located in the quaint walled Old City area of Cartagena, which is full of charm, interesting architecture, color, restaurants and most of all friendly and vibrant people. The staff at the Casa Grande could not have been nicer and were extremely helpful with suggestions for various sites and res truants. The room we had was on the small side, but it was clean,well decorated, had a great air conditioner, an unusually large modern bathroom and shower, and was reasonably priced. The breakfasts were always something we looked forward to every morning. Always something different. I would highly recommend the Casa Gloria if you want to get the real feel of life in Cartagena. The following link are some of the photos that I took while in Cartagena.

Room Tip: They have larger rooms and suites.
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Paid $90us per night, lovely property, great location in Old City right next to Exito grocery store. Room could have suited 1 person but not enough room to walk around bed with 2 peoples luggage. Great breakfast. We happened to be there same time as group of Spaniards who came in drunk and as everyone opens onto courtyard, noise echoes and several guests had to complain before they stumbled to bed; night man shouldve been on them, it was 4am. Gloria is sweet and offered us a bigger room for same price but we ended up going back to Getsemani for suite with kitchen and living room. Nice toiletries & robe but AC was either full blast or off. Good for single person who wants affordable safe location but not space. Nice pool, but did see ashtrays & with several smokers would be a confined area without much airflow. No time to check if roof terrace.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I took a trip to Cartagena at the end of my business conference in Bogota, that was a great idea. And research told me that staying in the old city was a good idea - so far so good. I then looked at the list - and there are some really fancy prices. As I was staying on my own I eschewed the opportunity to stay at one of the fabulous (and they are FABULOUS) old colonia houses that have been converted (my walking tour took most of the min and I would recommend La Passion or the Santa Clara if you want to splurge and are in a couple). I opted for a lower cost option. And Casa Gloria was fine, It had a pool, roof terrace, the breakfast was fine, it was safe, but the room was damp and smelt damp; and had little natural light, and the service was erratic at best. Other rooms, especially the suites seemed better. It is well locatd and safe, though I had rather a late night on the Saturday and had a real job to get the night porter to wake up at 0530 on Sunday morning! All that said, I was greeted with a smile, and Nini Johanna, the day manager, was so helpful and charming. Don;t expect too much English to be spoken either. Over all it was a 6/10 expereince.

Room Tip: Ask for one with external windows!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo