Hotel Don Pedro de Heredia
  • Room Service
Hotel Santa Cruz(Cartagena)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationold townsmall lobbywalled cityfifth floorhot waterrooftop terracea small swimming poolmusty smellsmall windowwithin easy walking distancebreakfast roombreakfast is servedhotel is centrally locatedhistoric sitesstreet noiseopen air
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hotel Don Pedro de Heredia was a very charming hotel with an excellent location and the staff were very friendly. The room was basic, but nice and the bathroom seemed to be recently upgraded. The bed was very firm, but still comfortable and the free breakfast, free internet, and direct TV were nice added bonuses. While the room was clean, the walls were very thin and I felt as if I was sharing my room with the couple in the room next to me. Also, the lighting in the room was poor and I felt like I was in a cave. While these things did detract from the room, overall, I had a very nice stay and with the location and breakfast included, you really can't beat the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jordan S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is well located and once our room issue was resolved we had a pleasant enough stay. We booked a twin room and were given a room with a double bed and a child's single bed - the single was narrow and so short the only way to sleep would have been in the foetal position. We explained we required two standard twin beds and the receptionist tried to convince us that this was a twin! We refused to accept this and eventually - after trying to make out the hotel was full (it was not even one quarter occupied as we discovered later) the receptionist relented and allocated a proper twin room. We failed to comprehend why this was not offered immediately given we had categorically booked a twin.

We had one water outage during the stay and our safe did not work - which was not ideal. Initially there was no hot water but then we discovered that it could be adjusted underneath the sink - would have been helpful to have been told this on checking in. There is a tiny swimming pool - more like a paddling pool - in reception but during our three day stay we did not see anyone use it. On request we were given beach towels for our day trip out to the Rosario Islands.

Breakfast is rather sparse and taken on the fifth floor with good views over the old city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TraLonW
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have rated this property as "very good" on account of the helpful staff and the very good location of the hotel. I would say the hotel is 3 star. The rooms are reasonably sized and spotless but quite basic. At the staff's suggestion, we took a room at the back of the hotel. It was good advice as our room was very quiet. We did not have hot water at first but this was soon remedied by adjustment of the water heater and being told the hot and cold taps were reversed.

Breakfast is good and generous. There is a lift and free wi-fi in the room.

Restaurants and all the tourist areas are within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Milonga
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel is idealy situated in the heart of the old city. Charming building and interiors, and great amenities on the whole.
I got Room 302 for 2 nights, which had a small balcony on the street.
As already mentioned by many reviewers, the room had some musty smell. I also found the room a bit noisy with the street. Traditional wood windows did not help in providing adequate insulation.
Bathroom was a bit small, but decent and fully equiped. It took me a while to understand I could actually regulate the hot water temp with the box beneath the washbowl.
A/C worked great! TV had no prob, but Oh, wi-fi was a disaster. Never got to make it work during the full stay. I had to go to the social room and use the public comp to keep in touch with my world. In this room, DirecTV decoder did not work, and comp seemd infected, or at least severely affected by numerous malwares. I kept my internet browsing to the minimum as I did not feel safe using this comp for more personal matters.
I did not use the small interior pool. Looked clean, Never got to see anyone using it during my 2 nights stay. Otherwise breakfast on the rooftop was average, but with a charming view on the old Cartagena.
All in all a good experience, as the hotel is really charming, but minor flaws prevented me feeling the place as a great value. I would rather rate it as a decent value.
I can't say much from the staff, as contacts remained minimal. I just can say that more than 15 minutes to fulfill the checkout was too long. It seemed the clerk had no idea how to handle the payment with an Amex card. The "automatic" 10% personel tip on the bill seemed rather strange to me. I had no guts to turn it away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephane501
Reviewed July 25, 2012

To echo other reviews, I'm torn how to review this place because we had fun and the hotel is beautiful, but our room had some problems. During our stay, our TV didn't work, our sink plug jammed, our hot water heater broke, and we couldn't get WiFi in our room. The rooms do have a slight musty smell, but it didn't bother us. The staff however were very nice and tried to remedy any problems as quickly and courteously as possible (short of giving discounts/upgrades).
This was the most expensive hotel on our stay, which is funny given all the problems. But then again, Cartagena is an expensive city, so we expected to get less for our money.

Anyway, none of these things substantially affected our stay. The location in my opinion makes this hotel worth it, even if the rooms clearly need some maintenance. We also enjoyed the pool and rooftop deck.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends