Hotel Don Pedro de Heredia
NH Cartagena Urban Royal(Cartagena)(Great Value!)
$155
$205
$135
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dann Cartagena(Cartagena)(Great Value!)
$124
$204
$175
  • Pool
Hotel Las Americas Casa de Playa(Cartagena)(Great Value!)
$156
$403
$310
$278
$286
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationold townsmall lobbywalled cityfifth floorhot waterrooftop terracea small swimming poolmusty smellsmall windowwithin easy walking distancebreakfast roombreakfast is servedhotel is centrally locatedhistoric sitesstreet noiseopen air
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel is idealy situated in the heart of the old city. Charming building and interiors, and great amenities on the whole.
I got Room 302 for 2 nights, which had a small balcony on the street.
As already mentioned by many reviewers, the room had some musty smell. I also found the room a bit noisy with the street. Traditional wood windows did not help in providing adequate insulation.
Bathroom was a bit small, but decent and fully equiped. It took me a while to understand I could actually regulate the hot water temp with the box beneath the washbowl.
A/C worked great! TV had no prob, but Oh, wi-fi was a disaster. Never got to make it work during the full stay. I had to go to the social room and use the public comp to keep in touch with my world. In this room, DirecTV decoder did not work, and comp seemd infected, or at least severely affected by numerous malwares. I kept my internet browsing to the minimum as I did not feel safe using this comp for more personal matters.
I did not use the small interior pool. Looked clean, Never got to see anyone using it during my 2 nights stay. Otherwise breakfast on the rooftop was average, but with a charming view on the old Cartagena.
All in all a good experience, as the hotel is really charming, but minor flaws prevented me feeling the place as a great value. I would rather rate it as a decent value.
I can't say much from the staff, as contacts remained minimal. I just can say that more than 15 minutes to fulfill the checkout was too long. It seemed the clerk had no idea how to handle the payment with an Amex card. The "automatic" 10% personel tip on the bill seemed rather strange to me. I had no guts to turn it away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephane501
Reviewed July 25, 2012

To echo other reviews, I'm torn how to review this place because we had fun and the hotel is beautiful, but our room had some problems. During our stay, our TV didn't work, our sink plug jammed, our hot water heater broke, and we couldn't get WiFi in our room. The rooms do have a slight musty smell, but it didn't bother us. The staff however were very nice and tried to remedy any problems as quickly and courteously as possible (short of giving discounts/upgrades).
This was the most expensive hotel on our stay, which is funny given all the problems. But then again, Cartagena is an expensive city, so we expected to get less for our money.

Anyway, none of these things substantially affected our stay. The location in my opinion makes this hotel worth it, even if the rooms clearly need some maintenance. We also enjoyed the pool and rooftop deck.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank leilani9484
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Its a shame I can't write a completely positive review because the hotel is actually really lovely and I did enjoy our 6 night stay. We did have a few issues while here though which has led to the lower rating.

On the positive note, the hotel is well located in the centre of the old town. The interior is lovely and the pool was great. Yes it is small but very refreshing and plenty big enough for swimming, I was in it every day. Many of the rooms are great and spacious however there are some that are small, dirty and have a musty smell as others have mentioned. We checked in for 6 nights after getting a deal of the day from booking.com. It worked out to be about $70 per night for two of us. We were allocated room 401 which was a decent size, it had a double bed and a single bed, flat screen tv with cable box, a/c and a large bathroom. We had no musty smell and liked the room. The wifi was working well upon arrival. There is also a mini fridge and mini bar. Night number one was great, the a/c worked well overnight (it is very necessary as Cartagena is very very hot). The beds are quite hard though.

Day 2 was when then problems began. The wifi stopped working all throughout the hotel and later that evening we noticed the room was getting hotter and hotter. We worked out the a/c had stopped working and was just blowing out warm air. It was after midnight but the man at reception offered us another room for the night on the first floor (104). This was where we understood some of the other reviews. The room was much smaller than ours, it smelled very musty (to his credit, the man on duty told us that it did smell) and had not been cleaned for a while. I was pretty sure there were other nicer rooms which were unoccupied so was a little bothered at being put down there however the a/c was cold and we stayed there for the night.

The next morning, 2 maintenance men barged into the room at 10am while we were still asleep, without knocking. With no apology, they walked out. When we came out later on, we were told our original room would be fixed in the afternoon, which it was. We gladly moved back up and the a/c worked well again that night. Note, wifi was still unavailable

Morning #4; after showering, the power suddenly went out and smoke started coming in one window. Apparently the a/c was having more problems so we asked to speak to a manager. The same guy on reception came up and offered us another room for the remainder of our stay; luckily for us it was room 403 right across the hall and was a suite. It was a HUGE room with a large king size bed and small single. The bathroom was smaller but the room was much better. He was very apologetic and told us we would have this room for the remaining 3 nights at no extra cost. The wifi started working again and we were finally comfortable.

The next 3 nights were great, the room was lovely and the temperature perfect. The shower temperature was temperamental but overall satisfactory. Upon checkout, of course we were charged extra for the suite (more than double the price of the first room!). I quickly disputed though and the lady reduced the cost to what I had originally expected. Note, they add on 6% service charge to the bill, this is optional. I was not going to pay it due to all of the issues and the wifi being down for 2 whole days but I think it ended up in the total somehow.

Overall I would still recommend the hotel, if there hadn't been any issues, it would have been a great stay. Having said that, I would not stay there at full price, it is not worth that much. Rooms on the first floor seem to be the worst so try to avoid them. We only made it to breakfast once but it was enjoyable, choice of eggs with some rolls, ham, cheese and fruits with juice, tea or coffee.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor, the higher the better
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdelaideTravelbug123
Reviewed May 6, 2012

positives: good location, easy to walk around from hotel, nice rooftop terrace for breakfast, room with air con and computer (great as WIFI was patchy when i was there). room was roomy, clean with high ceilings and air conditioning.

prices are reasonable ( about eur 130 for 3) a bit on the higher side but worth it for the room.
swimming pool was out of service but it was really small.

be wary of the excursions from front desk, the one we chose was a rip off to a small island with hardly a beach. of course it was partly our fault for not doing more research on that

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel during our stay in Cartagena. I wanted to share my thoughts I had seen some negative comments, and we had a very nice experience. Cartagena is really hot and humid at this time, so the well-maintained, clean pool, although small, was wonderful. We also especially enjoyed the rooftop terrace where we could sit and sip our wine and enjoy the view of Catagena lit up at night!
The room was on the dark side and a little plain, but I heard from others that there are fancier rooms, so you may want to check and compare. My only other thought was that they could use more seating areas. Breakfast was very nice.
The staff was marvelous, particularly Yesid who had a pleasant sense of humor and helped me practice some Spanish. He took care of anything we needed, and when I left even was happy to wheel my luggage for me to my destination a few blocks from the hotel.
All in all, this was a very pleasant experience. The location, by the way, is great -- walking distance from everything you will want to see in the old city.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends