This hostel isnt in the lonely planet yet, reason enough to give it a try. Even though the area isnt the nicest of Cartagena (hookers walking around 50m from the door, hitting on guests), it was ok (about a 7min walk to the historic center.
The setting is nice - pool in the courtyear and all white rooms and are acutally very well designed. It is noisy, there doesnt seem to be a curfew - so be prepared for this if you stay and otherwise dont complain too much about the noise.
While the building itself is cool, the staff is the total opposite. Let me give you some examples:
- we reserved two spots for the Volcán Totumo tour on Sunday night. On Monday night when we got to the reception, it turns out that they had forgotten about it. No apology, instead a brief remark that it is closed anyways Monday for "cleaning"... We dont believe this to be true as an other operator offers the tour on Mondays and ... i mean... couldn´t they have known this the night before?
- Sometime during our stay there water supply in all of Cartagena shut down. While all the other budget hostels were out of water, Media Luna has some for the next hours due to its water tank. So far so good. But instead of warning guests that water is out and to go easy on you water consumption, nothing was said. Not even newly checking-in guests were warned. No apology given (we know its not there fault - but hey...hospitality)... no estimate given when it would come back - and it looked normal to them. Toilets obviously started to stink BADLY.
All in all a nice building, cool vibe, but the worst staff we have encountered at ca. 15+ hostels in Colombia.
Price per night in a 6pers bedroom w/shared bathroom (between multiple rooms): 22000COP/night
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mango..como estar en casaHostal exclusivo con capacidad máxima para 11 personasAmbiente íntimo y tranquilo por su ubicación privilegiada y la capacidad limitada de pasajeros.Cuenta con tres habitaciones, con capacidad máxima para cuatro personas.Habitaciones con baño compartido y baño privado.Cuenta con áreas comunes , sala de estar, living, comedor y terraza.Cocina abierta para uso de pasajerosAcceso wifi incluido en la tarifaServicio de aseo y toallas de baño incluido en la tarifaDesayuno incluido en la tarifaServicio de lavandería ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your Media Luna Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Media Luna Hotel Cartagena