“Beautiful Boutique Hotel”
Review of Tcherassi Hotel

Tcherassi Hotel
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Ill keep it short and simple.....Amazing everything. The hotel is beautiful and defiantely recommend it.
However, I wish they did have traditional Colombian food at their restaurant .

Room Tip: Whichever are all amazing
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I decided to splash out on this place for a couple days, after reading all the reviews. Here are the good things....
1) Check in was efficient.
2) The rooms are visually pleasing and very luxurious. The bath products are amazing and you really feel like you are pampering yourself. The bathroom was spectacular.
3) The roof top pool was the best pool experience I have ever had. No one was up there for two days, except my husband and I. The pool area overlooks Cartagena. Iced tea and lime water are on hand, as well as fruit snacks. The pool alone was the five star experience I was expecting.
4) Breakfast was hearty and the selection was great. We left stuffed and the coffee was fantastic.
5) The turn down service was a nice touch. Really luxurious.
6) The grounds of this hotel are really amazing. The wall garden is out of this world and the water feature just adds to the ambience. There are so many little places to hang out in this hotel during the day that you really don't want to leave!

The cons...
1) We had a room that overlooked the restaraunt and the bar. Because of this, it was incredibly noisy in the room. The first night, we couldn't even listen to our own music because the music in the restaraunt and bar was so over powering. I called the front desk to ask to move rooms, because this was so irritating. Unfortunately, there were no other rooms available (that is what they said, but I know there was an empty room on the end), and so I just had to put up with this noise till the restaraunt closed. It was unfortunate, because I really just wanted to relax in my room after a long day travelling.
2) The added taxes and tack ons to the bill. I was expecting to pay a lot of money for this room, but the final bill was even more than the original bill we were presented with...even though we didn't have anything from the mini bar. There just seemed to be more and more taxes added on that didn't make sense. We were in a rush when we were leaving, otherwise I would have looked into this further.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the two balconies if you don't want to listen to the music from the bar and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidayer80
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I have been traveling to Cartagena for many years.
Have experienced different types of accommodations in the old city, private homes, hotels and boutique hotels. I have never experienced such a comfortable stay as in Tcherassi Hotel..
The rooms are impeccable, and very nicely decorated; The service is extraordinary and the staff is very courteous and pleasant. The food at the restaurant Vero is fantastic!

I am definitively making sure that my next stay in Cartagena will be at the Tcherassi Hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I arrived at the Hotel Tcherassi a few days into our honeymoon with exceedingly high expectations, and to its credit, the hotel exceeded them. We splurged and stayed in the Gazar Suite, with its three levels and private pool, and it was totally worth it. The suite was massive, with good closet and drawer space, 2 bathroom sinks, a shower and separate tub, and of course the private pool and then additional terrace above the pool. The only criticism is that the Gazar private pool is visible from the third floor pool open to all hotel guests, so the Gazar pool is not entirely "private." (We only saw one person at the other pool the entire time we were there anyway, so this really didn't matter.) Service was impeccable, with frequent (but not annoying) visits to straighten up the room, and staff were always available to us when we were at the pool to bring us towels or whatever else we needed. During an especially hot afternoon, they surprised us with cool wet washcloths and granadillas (a type of passionfruit) to cool us off.

Perhaps the highlight of our stay was when they surprised us by decking out the room with red rose petals, candles, and strawberries and chocolate. It was really incredible. I'm still not sure if they did it because it was our honeymoon or because it was Colombia's version of Valentine's Day (El Dia de Amor y Amistad), but either way it made an already amazing trip even better.

Then there's the restaurant, Vera. I'd read the reviews on this website and had somewhat tempered expectations, especially because we were coming from NYC and we get amazing Italian food frequently. Well, the meal was the best we had the entire trip, and we didn't hold back during our 2 weeks. From the incredible burrata with balsamic glaze and pine nuts, to my wife's perfectly cooked grouper and artichoke puree, to my crab ravioli with shellfish sauce, to the bread pudding, everything was delicious and fresh. Nothing to improve upon.

Location is great too: right in the San Diego neighborhood minutes away from several attractions and a 10 minute walk from El Centro.

If you want to splurge and stay in a chic hotel with amazing service, this is the place. Also, I didn't have to put down any deposit prior to arrival, so I'm not sure what happened with the prior reviewer who had problems with this.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruzi15
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Tcherassi is one of the more unique and welcoming hotels I've stayed in. Each room is unique but extremely spacious and incredibly designed--whether it's your style or not, it's impossible not to be awed. When we arrived at 9 AM (we had 2 rooms) we expected to be able to leave our luggage and then take a walk around town. To our surprise, Mary (the main concierge at the front desk) offered us a complimentary breakfast and hurried to have our rooms readied by the time we finished -- long before the expected check in time. This is one example of many similar over the course of the week. The service definitely went above and beyond. The hotel pools are small but functional to cool off from the heat and the location is fairly convenient -- close to where you want to be but not on a noisy/touristy block. To the person who was annoyed about the deposit -- I would say you really need to get a little perspective on what it is like to run a luxury hotel in a remote destination with only 7 rooms. For the service they provide, I can understand why they are very conscious of their limited inventory.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bigbertnyc
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Only hotel to my knowledge where you must pay in advance 50% of the total stay, and even if you cancel more than 15 days before arrival (as required by their cancellation policy), the hotel retains 15% for "administrative expenses incurred"!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GenevaHomeschoolmom
LGtravel, Public Relations Manager at Tcherassi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your concern. I am sorry to hear that you believe our policy is suspicious however let me assure you that it is the same policy we have had since opening our doors nearly two years ago. We are a small seven room hotel and in order for us to manage our inventory appropriately and ensure we do not overbook or leave rooms empty, we must enforce a strict cancellation policy with plenty of advanced warning. We are not a chain, yet an independent boutique hotel striving to deliver the very best in service and luxury hospitality. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you in Cartagena soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

From the moment we walked in, I knew I'd love it. The room was spectacular. The decoration breathtaking. Vera, the restaurant, OMG, delissshhh! The night view from the rooftop pool made our stay even more romantic. The Acqua Bar was my fave hangout for cocktails and drinks. The service, impecable. I was truly pampered. I bought the bathrobe, not even at the Ritz, it's that soft. The scents at the spa blew me away. in a nutshell, it's casually elegant. Loved it! We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: We got to see the suite, defenitely that's the one. Private pool and all!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple