All reviewsrooftop poolboutique hotelsan felipe fortbusy plazaplaza de la trinidadold townwalled citygreat neighborhoodenglish speakingwalking distance to everythingeach morningceiling fanmin walkair conditioningvisiting cartagenastayed here for nightsfresh fruit
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 6 days and were very impressed with this beautiful and special boutique hotel (one of the best I have stayed in and definitely 5 star). The owner of this place have done an amazing job of decorating and have therefore created a truly beautiful space. They also spare no expense on the small details (the toiletries are 5 star; the sheets and towels are excellent quality etc etc) which make the hotel itself well deserved of the rating. The staff are just amazing and made the experience and hotel even more special. Working in the tourism sector myself, I was blown away by their professionalism and warmth.
But I would also balance this with a few observations;
The sister who actually owns the hotel does not live at the Hotel but (naturally) spend considerable time there. Most days her husband and the daughter were also there to eat lunch and lounge around. As it is a small hotel, this made the downstairs common areas quite busy and as a guest I found this a bit of an inconvenience. The daughter was on the guest computer making it somewhat awkward when we wanted to use it. In other words, we felt like we were intruding on their space even though we were guests - so were forced to hang out in our room or upstairs by the pool.
The owner is not particularly 'customer friendly' which is fine as they have the MOST AMAZING staff I have encountered in a long time. The staff are the ones we largely dealt with. But as the owner spends so much time hanging around the hotel common areas they really needed to be friendlier or make themselves scarce. I was at times uncomfortable with how they dealt and spoke with their staff too. I know that it is common in Colombia for people to have house staff and treat them somewhat indifferently; but for a visitor it was offputting and did at times make me uncomfortable. Particularly as it was the staff themselves that really made our stay so amazing. It was a funny atmosphere and perhaps as my partner himself is Colombian (and speaks therefore spanish) we were more aware of this. The owner is undoubtedly excellent at the design and administration of the hotel so I guess what I am trying to say is they would be wise to stick to that or develop some customer service skills.
Finally, for people looking for a romantic escape this place is just PERFECT with the disclaimer that you may want to check if there are any children booked to stay too. It is a very small place so when there were kids there for a few of our days we had to endure a baby in the room next door crying and kids screaming in the common areas.

To conclude - this is a really fantastic place and we will without a doubt make this our hotel of choice whenever we stay in Cartegena.

Room Tip: All rooms are just brilliant (the staff showed us all of them over the course of our stay).
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We loved Casa Santa Ana. The staff, service, location and our room were top notch. Yeimis spoke English, however the other staff did not. I had an opportunity to practice my rusty spanish! Breakfast was plentiful and well prepared. Although the B & B is outside of the old city, once we found our way, it was a 10 minute walk. We live in South Florida with a similar climate, but for some reason, it felt much hotter there. It´s probably wise to enjoy a relaxing lunch during the hottest time of day--between 12PM and 3PM. We found a great restaurant in the Bocagrande area called Restaurante Arabe. If you like Middle Eastern food, this restaurant serves authentic meals. Ismael, a waiter there, spoke perfect English.

We stayed 4 nights, but we think 3 nights would have been sufficient.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Delirio room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This B&B is a really cool & stylish place. We stayed just 1 night and a service, food and everything was perfect. Owners have a good taste when it comes to decoration. Rooftop pool is fabulous. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angpanna
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I were there for part of our honeymoon and it couldn't have been more perfect. We chose this as the last leg of our journey since from all the reviews here it seemed like the perfect quiet getaway ... and it was!! From the moment we were picked up by 2 of the ladies from our other hotel (normally it's airport pickup/drop off but they were more than happy to pick us up from a hotel in the area) the hospitality was amazing, they gave us tour guide-style informatino as we drove through the city. We got welcome beverages as we stepped in through the doors and it was exactly as the photos showed - beautiful, tranquile etc. We were given maps & directions of good places to go, where to avoid @ night etc - all very useful information.

They really value your privacy there and breakfast was amazing - we pre-ordered some of the local fare on their menu and it was all delicious. The room was spotless as was the entire house including the roof top pool and lounge area which are soooo relaxing. We spent an entire day up there and had lunch delivered for us there so we didn't need to leave at all.

The location was very close to the central area of the restaurants/entertainment - about a 7 minute cab ride. I'm sure we could have walked but we normally left at noon when it was very hot!

I would definitely go back again and recommend this to anyone looking for a quiet getaway with topnotch service.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Initially I must emphasize that we are an older, (by age!) baby boomer couple from Wisconsin without much tolerence for heat. While we loved the charm, warm service, and intimacy of the Casa Santa Ana, the intimidating heat and humidity of Cartagena knocked us out! Once we walked 2 blocks from the Casa towards the old city, we were wet from head to toe and burning more then Eldred Cleaver! Unfortunately, this made the 20 minute walk almost unbearable and we were unable to enjoy the obvious unblemished charm of Getsemani. This neighborhood has what every true traveler would want as it resonates with authenticity. Yet, because of the heat, we probably would choose a hotel in the heart of the old city next time. The Casa Santa Ana had air-conditioning and a refreshing roof top pool that we used several times a day, but the walk was just too much for us. (We are probably too spoiled.) Caratagena itself was gorgeous, but we searched out air-conditioning like an oasis in the Sahara. However, if you enjoy sun and heat, the Casa Santa Ana would be sublime.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple