“Hotel of the rich and famous - it couldn't have been more stunning”
Review of Hotel Casa Lola

Hotel Casa Lola
Ranked #20 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Newmarket, Canada
“Hotel of the rich and famous - it couldn't have been more stunning”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The hotel was down a small street with old buildings and as soon as we stepped inside it felt like an oasis. The hotel has interesting art work, antiques and an overall zen feeling. I really cannot see how anyone could complain about the interior as it was truly beautiful. The staff were very friendly, although most did not speak much English and nor did I expect them to, as afterall, I was in Colombia and the effort should be made on my part.

There were no provided toiletries but not a biggie. Breakfast was eggs, juice, coffee, toast and jam but you could pay more for pancakes, empinadas or a couple of other things.

I would not recommend the hotel for children if they are lively as it would not be relaxing for the parent to have to monitor them.

Of note, we decided to go to the roof to watch the storm over the city and I managed to fall down the stairs on the way down (totally my fault as who walks on concrete/marble stairs when they're wet), so beware of your footing in the rain.

We did not hear any outside noise from the street and it was a 5 minute walk to the walled city but we enjoyed the walk and everything about this stay. My first thoughts were this is the sort of place people should go for a honeymoon.

The roof pool was a plunge pool but beautiful, relaxing and refreshing.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Burlington, VT
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Stayed at Casa Lola for four nights on a recent trip to South America. This is a very, very creative, architecturally interesting hotel which I think the owners and designers deserve a lot of credit for - this required a lot of vision to create and the execution of the vision is excellent, not quite perfect. The hotel is tucked away behind white doors on a small side street in Getsamani, a neighborhood which isn't technically part of but is quite near the old city. We had some reservations about the neighborhood based on other TA comments. I found most of the concerns unfounded. In fact as beautiful as the old city is, I thought Getsamani offered more of a real slice of life of a Latin American city than does the old city. Safety was never a concern, we walked the streets day and night. I would characterize it as colorful, with a vibrant street scene of residents, vendors, and tourists as well. In fact if you are into nightlife I would strongly recommend staying in Getsamani, which is basically the heart of nightlife within Cartagena. Cafe Havana, one of the city's famed salsa clubs is literally a half block away, and Arensal Street, which has several bars and clubs is quite close as well. You can easily walk to the old city or take a taxi, which are plentiful and dirt cheap.

As for the hotel, you would never know what lies inside the white doors until you actually walk in. The owners took an old property and created a very unique ten room boutique hotel. The art is bold, perhaps not to everyone's taste, but I liked it and thought it added to the experience. The rooms were quiet and comfortable, although there were a few small design flaws, including a funky bathroom layout, which was difficult to navigate. I do agree with the reviewer who was disappointed with the lack of bathroom amenities - no shampoos, etc - just a dispenser on the wall in the shower with shampoo/liquid soap - I thought that was a bit tacky and they should change it. They could also use a bit more lighting in the rooms, and the free wifi didn't really work in the rooms, although they have a public laptop for use in the lobby. That said, we all slept well and were very well cared for while there. The small staff is terrific at helping with whatever requests you have. The courtyard breakfast area is totally charming, very lush with vegetation, and the included breakfast was excellent. The rooftop pool was a great alternative to local beaches, which are unspectacular. I would absolutely stay here again if I return to Cartagena, and think this represents excellent value relative to the more famous properties in the city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jdr27
Toronto
Reviewed June 24, 2010

NOT for business travel at all. The photos online are NOT representative of what the superior rooms look or feel like. This place is dark and dank - I was nearly in tears at the thought of having to stay more than one night. I usually love boutique hotels and I have stayed in many all over the world. I felt like I was in a prison cell. There was no natural light, I hung some clothes up in the non-closet only to have concrete dust get all over my dresses and suits, I was unable to make outgoing calls, and there was no access to internet.

The smell: imagine a stinky, mouldy, musty smell. Ready? Now load that smell up with a bunch of potent patchouli on top of it in an effort to cover up the musty stink. THAT is what this place smells like. It is NOT like MoMA and there are so many better places to stay in Cartagena. For the price they charge, I'd rather stay at Quadrifolio or LM or even the Hilton on the beach...anywhere but here!!!

Brutal. I arrived around midnight and left as soon as I woke up the next day. One night of stink, no sleep, and not feeling safe was enough for me.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank MissusScamper
Seattle
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We staid at Hotel Casa Lola for two nights. The Hotel is not in El Centro but near by. Taxi drivers weren't sure where it was but they new the Havana Salsa Club on the corner. This is a beautiful boutique hotel. The room was unusual and fun. The stream fountain through the main floor gave great ambiance. The shaded relaxation couches in the back made you want to stay right there and never move.
The manager spoke enough English to not only get by but to recommend restaurants, etc. There is a person on the door 24 hrs a day which makes you feel secure. The Art is contemporary and eclectic. The atmosphere relaxed. We came back from a club and sneaked up to the roof for a midnight skinny dip. A half hour later the night doorman came by to ask if we wanted any refeshments or the lights turned on. Can't beat it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Finland
Reviewed March 3, 2010

This hotel is a hidden gem in Cartagena. The location of this hotel is excellent, just 5 min. walk from historic center. The hotel itself is beautiful decorated with nice and relaxing atmosphere.
The staff is great and very helpfull. The girls in reception speaks English which was great help for us, 'cause our Spanish is quite poor.
Rooms and ''Garden'' were beutiful and they served really good food. Best ''Empanadas''
which I got during my stay in Colombia.
I highly recommend this hotel to all people who wants to enjoy relaxing and trendy feeling.
Couple from Finland

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Finland
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stayed almost two weeks in this Beautiful Hotel Casa Lola. All the staff was very friendly and nice. The Girls in reception speaks English which helped us a lot because of our poor skills in Spanish. We got help to our stay in Rosario Island, trips and many more.
Hotel Atmosphere is very relaxing and hippy. The location for this hotel is Getsemani, which is only 5 min. walk from the historic center and as a neibourgh there is the best Latin club; Havana (only open during weekends).
I highly recommend this Hotel all the people who wants to spend the holiday in young hippy atmosphere.
- Couple from Finland

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Casa Lola was the first hotel we stayed at on our trip to Colombia and I couldn't have been more pleased with the accommodations. It really is as beautiful as the pictures. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to stay in the MoMA overnight, Casa Lola is your place.

The staff was very friendly and the building was impeccably clean and decorated. The only thing people should know before staying here is that while the neighborhood may look a little sketchy, it's really not any worse than a mildly dodgy neighborhood in a large US city.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends