“Affordable Accommodations in Cartagena”
Review of Hotel Casa Lola

Hotel Casa Lola
Ranked #19 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in mid March of 2014. I lived in Cartagena for 5 years in my youth, so I am fairly familiar with the hotels and accommodations within the city. I chose Casa Lola due to its positive reviews and reasonable nightly rates. Cartagena has gotten very expensive over the past 5 years as the city has become safer and the cruise ships began calling its harbor once again. The nicer hotels in the old city are sometimes as high as $500/ night, so I chose casa Lola. This hotel is located in the Getsemani district just outside of the Old City. In this district lies many night clubs, parks, and hostels where younger people and the local college students like to hang out. There is a part every night of the week, and if you aren't a fan of loud music then this isn't the place for you. The hotel is located right next door to the La Havana salsa might club, and on some nights the music can be heard from the hotel. My room was nice, quaint and aged, but decorated nicely. The staff was very kind and helpful. The first floor rooms have no windows and can be a little dark. I asked for a second floor room, which all have windows and balconies, but was told that my reservation was for a first floor room (no where did I see this when I made my reservation) and I decided not to fight it. The hotel is about a 7-10 minute walk from the Clock Tower and entrance to the old city, and can be made safely most any time (bring your street smarts and common sense of course). Overall I give this hotel 3 stars. My room definitely needed to have been cleaned more thoroughly, and the street noise keeps the rooms far from quiet. However, if you are looking for a good valued, affordable hotel that is close to the tourist-ridden Old City then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Get one on the second floor. The first floor rooms have no windows and are a little drab and dark.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Charming Hotel with beautifully furnished rooms. Very nice restaurant area with lots of plants and nice chiling places. Very friendly Staff.
Nevertheless the cost/Performance Ratio was not correct. In my opinon the Price for the offered service is too high.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Be aware there are two Hotel Casa Lolas, both owned by same person. We booked what we thought was the one in the website pictures, but when we arrived we were not in the main hotel, but blocks away in what I could only describe as a slum. The rooms were all painted black with mirrors everywhere, bars on the windows and laundry hanging out in the courtyard. After insisting that there was no way, we (two women in their sixties) were going to stay there, they took us to the other hotel. Our room there also had problems, a steep stairway to upper loft with no railing which would make nightly time trips to the first floor bathroom quite treacherous, and no door to the bathroom, but compared to the first room, it looked like the Ritz. Since they now said they could only accommodate us for two night instead of the four we had booked, we moved out the next day down the street to a wonderful hotel ( Casa Canabal) for about $15.00 more. Maria was very nice and tried to help us, but watch out for the owner who originally refused to refund our money. I still have nightmares about that first room.

Room Tip: Don't - go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank kglavin
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The people were very nice but .......................... This hotel has very interesting decoractions. This does not makeup for either the quality of the rooms and does not justify the rates. Our second floor room was very dated and not very clean. The mattress was awful and had just a two shehets and a bedspread which I am sure had not been washed in a decade. We quickly moved out to a very nearby quality hotel and a much better price. Think twice about Casa Lola. There are far better choices.

1  Thank P598738
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Very cute and tastefully built. The room was a bit rustic, mattress and pillows a bit old, not entirely comfortable.
Staff are very friendly and attentive. Little dogs were fun too !
Location is not bad, though not exactly inside the walled city, it is close enough, and the restaurants and bars around there make the neighbourhood very lively at night !
Roof top pool is a great place to get some tan, but to dip inside, please think twice... The water is not running, i saw big black birds drinking and wettng themselves in the water.
Given the price, not a bad place to stay !

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights at Cosa Lola for a romantic getaway and to meet up with some friends, who also booked rooms at the hotel. I researched accommodation options prior to the trip, and we mostly chose Casa Lola due to the amazing pictures we found on their website and here on Trip Advisor. It is also Lonely Planet's "top choice" for accommodation in Cartagena. We read that the Getsemaní neighborhood was less pretty than the walled part of the old town, and that some single women travelers didn't feel comfortable there, but our experience was an overall very positive one.

First of all, the hotel really is beautiful. We spent quite some time taking pictures and wandering around, looking at the artwork and decor. Public areas are inviting with large, cozy couches and chairs in the shade (which is something you learn to appreciate in Cartagena!), and the pool offers great views over the city's roof tops. One can even see the fortress from there.

Each room has a different design and we were so lucky to get a large one on the second floor that felt like a tastefully decorated small apartment. It was equipped with all the modern amenities one comes to expect. The bed was large and comfortable, our flat screen TV and internet access worked flawlessly, and the shower was huge. There was a bit of a problem regulating the water temperature, but that was the only negative point I can think of. We were surrounded by many windows that allowed natural daylight to enter the room, but curtains were provided to give you more privacy and darken the room in the early morning hours.

The service was very pleasant as well. Every time we returned from some sightseeing or an evening out it felt like we were coming home. The friendly staff opened the door for us, inquiring about our day, asking if there was anything they could do to make it even better. Furthermore, since there are only 10 rooms in total, it felt like we had Casa Lola almost to ourselves. The time we spent at the hotel was peaceful and tranquil, and employees were always eager to help us out with little things we needed.

About the neighborhood: There are a lot of other hotels and especially hostels around, so you see many young travelers, bars, cafés and restaurants. Nothing to be worried about. It gives you the chance to explore new places many tourists don't get to see. The walk to the clock tower/ entrance to the walled city takes 5-10 minutes.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples and single travelers looking for someplace special to stay, and will return next time we make it to this beautiful city.

1  Thank janibier
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This place is incredible!! I highly recommend this spot to anyone traveling to Cartagena. I was initially hesitant to stay in the Getsemani area, thinking that it was safer in the old city, but after looking at some reviews, we decided to stay in this neighborhood. So thankful for this! Felt safe and comfortable the whole time. It is a convenient walk to the old city but yet the Getsemani neighborhood has a distinct vibe, with lots of action day and night. Hotel Casa Lola is highly recommended for multiple reasons:

1) STAFF: The friendliest staff that you can find in Cartagena!! From the moment we arrived, the staff was beyond helpful in assisting with reservations, travel plans, and other recommendations. We were greeted with a refreshing glass of guanabana juice and given a tour of the hotel. From start to end, they always greeted us with a smile and talked to us about our experiences in Cartagena. We left very early on our last day and the staff brought up breakfast to our room so we could try and eat before we left!

2) ROOMS: The room was a good size- not too big but very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and shower had good pressure. There was a water hold in the city when we were there due to construction, but luckily this didn't affect us because the hotel has a reserve and we were able to shower easily.

3)DESIGN: The hotel has a very unique look with very stylish decor and fun art work. They definitely think of all the details here.

4) ROOF DECK POOL: I think this speaks for itself...but seriously...gorgeous roof deck pool with spectacular views of the city.

Overall, this was a fantastic place to spend three nights days in Cartagena. It feels kind of like an oasis within this bustling city. This was a perfect spot for a couple or adults in general, but I would not advise this for very young children. The interesting architecture and design that make this place unique might not be suitable for young kids. Besides that, I highly recommend this place in Getsemani! Enjoy!

2  Thank B0st0nGrl