“Great boutique hotel with excellent English speaking front desk staff and a lovely roof top pool and views!”
Review of Hotel Casa Lola

Hotel Casa Lola
Ranked #17 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. I literally looked at over 20 hotels in Cartagena before deciding on Casa Lola. It is located outside the walled city but it is super close and easy wak and in the end we were actually happy we were in Gestemani as it forced us to explore more of the city and there are heaps of cheap eats and bars close by.

The hotel is very lovely and our room was clean and well styled. We were really keen to have a pool in our hotel as the humidity is extremely high and it's nice to be able to just chill out. The roof top pools are small but honestly they were perfect and have a great view.

The breakfast inuded is lovely - fruit to start and then eggs how you prefer on toast.

For the price I would highly recommend this. I really wanted to stay in the old town at the Softel originally however I checked this out when we arrived and whilst a nice pool it just doesn't feel as authentic as the boutique hotels and Casa Lola really made us feel part of the culture.

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Lola

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel blow my mind away. My partner and I wanted to experience the old town and Casa Lola was the best option we could find. this gorgeous boutique hotel offers excellent service (Claudia and all the hotel staff are extremely helpful). The food in the mornings is excellent and do not miss a sunset in the rooftop pool with a delicious coctail (Pina coladas are great). Rooms are very clean and stylish. the location of the hotel is not right in the middle of the old city however, it is littlerally borderline between getsemani and the clock tower, so is just a short walk to the best restaurants and bars, plus Cafe havana is literally down the road. Love this hotel, cant wait to be back :) Thanks Casa Lola

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Pretty interior design but with zero thought to safety. Beware this hotel is a real death trap, it's a matter of time before a guest is seriously injured or dies.

In the main staircase of the building there is no hand rail despite it being quite high. There is a shard glass balustrade with big sections missing on the other side.

In our room we had a 3m high platform over a stone floor with second bed. Totally inadequate wooden decorative handrails. No hand rails at all on the stairs up to this platform. The Staircase itself was very poorly constructed and was wobbly.

Highly slippery polished floor finish next to the swimming pool, caused our daughter a nasty fall.

Loud music from the street. Wifi didn't work. Two hour power cut. Shower was cold. Breakfast was poor. Coffee undrinkable.

Finally the quoted price of 280,000 was jacked up to over 400,00. Got hit by 90 000, extra charge for our six year old daughter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Swissdaffy
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a nice well-designed boutique hotel. The public spaces -- especially the garden where you have breakfast -- are lovely. However, the rooms are more stylish than they are functional. For example, the bathrooms are small and open to the room so there's little privacy. Overall I enjoyed the hotel, but I wish it had been located inside the old city walls.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We found this property searching boutique hotels and for a change, it was true to it's word...
Amazing staff that really pulled out all the stops to make our stay perfect.
Breakfast was large and really good.
Easy access to the walled part of the city.
Fun fun fun and the perfect little secret for Cartagena...

Room Tip: All the rooms are well designed and face the interior courtyard. There are rooms that are larger on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel is well situated on a quiet street a short walk from the Centro Historico although some of the surrounding area is a little down at heel. If i visited again i would book a hotel inside the walled old city itself rather than Getsemani.

The public areas are well decorated and stylish and I loved the courtyard with its tented seating areas and beautiful water features. The rooftop pool was also very nice.

First stay here was for one night in a standard room that was fine. However on returning after a short trip to Santa Marta the superior room I'd booked for three nights was poor. There was no hot water, the shower leaked water into the bedroom and I was woken at 7am every morning by the loud noise of a dozen or so air conditioning units on the roof above my room. I accept this is a small boutique hotel but I expected a better room for the $160 a night I paid.

To finish on a positive note, the breakfasts were tasty and the staff always very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Welsh_traveller1965
Reviewed January 25, 2013

For a full experience, this is the place. Fancy but not upscale. Clean, great service, best location, good price and a wonderful rooftop pool (soon to be another as they are adding on to the rooftop patio). I cant say enough about this place. The photos dont do it justice. If you asked me to give a bad note, the only one I could give would be the lack of hot water in the shower, but that would be it. That in itself wasnt bad enough for us to even complain. Who knows, it may have been just our room and no one elses. We loved the fact that there are very few rooms. We also liked stepping out into the street and being around the locals. After hearing all the skeptisism about safety, we are happy to report we there was not one time we didnt feel safe moving around the city. I will try to write more later as my battery is very low.

• Stayed: January 2013