“Great Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
Brussels, Belgium
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Quality boutique hotel in the old town. Friendly and helpful staff. Architecturally very impressive. Definitely worth the extra for the master suite.

In Cartagena I would definitely stay in the Old Town.
Our trip to Bocagrande (part of Cartagena) where most of the chain hotels are, was unpleasant. Modern, characterless and non-stop pestering by hawkers.

Room Tip: The Master Suite is probably the best room I've ever stayed in
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We really enjoyed the hospitality here. The staff were very friendly and courteous. Raphael was very helpful (spoke french and english well) with all our travel and excursion needs and always offered good advice and the girls that cooked and served breakfast were super friendly with big smiles every morning.
The decor is unique and stylish. With interesting selection or art and sculpture. I shared a room with two friends (the room with the loft) and the room was always spotless and cool with the A/C. My only issue was the comfort of the small single beds in that room. they were a little too firm.

The hotel is located in Getsemani, which is more colourful (read transitional) then the old citi but there are so many great little restaurants and bars it is very convenient.

Room Tip: Our room with the loft was facing the street and was a little loud Saturday night because of a house...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunsandi
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had such a wonderful experience here at Casa Lola. The staff is incredible and the rooftop pool is beautiful! Super close to the the walled city and I felt really safe there. My Husband got a stomach bug somewhere along the way on our travels and the staff was really concerned about him. They sent us tea and would ask all about his symptoms to see if there was anything they could do to help! We ended up getting a really late night flight back to bogota so we needed the room until 9pm instead of normal check out time and I asked if we could rent if for half a day. They said it wasn't a problem at all and gave me a 50% of the room rate of the internet special I had booked through kayak. Loved this place and I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monique L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

We just loved staying at casa Lola. The staff is helpfull, the styling of the entire place is wonderfully done and the rooms are magnificent. And..the price is very reasonable!

They serve a great (price included) breakfast as well. The rooftop pool is not big but very nice and private. Getsemani is a great neighborhood to stay: vibrant, colorful and filled with restaurants and bars.
The Spanish owner has also purchased the big property next door so next year Casa Lola will be twice as big with also an extra pool...

Go stay here , you'll love it!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank KartB
sologrrl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

When you walk in you are struck by the decor. The reception area is a mix of modern and antique and while checking in was immediately offered something refreshing to drink. They gave me a little map of Cartagena and showed me where I could find the Old City, ATMs, and a nice restaurant which was super helpful. I was only there for a night and didn't have much time to explore for myself. You walk through a glass door and a little waterway built in the corridor leading to the rooms and onward to the eating/chillout area which was lush with plants and plenty of fans. Couches around the edges with nice throw pillows. It's almost like it's own little world. Wifi was good in the room also.

The room itself was beautiful as well with lovely bedding and a very nice bathroom. The only issue I had was that it was a shower curtain instead of a glass door surrounding the shower so the floor gets a little wet. Also the water pressure for the shower was a bit lower than I usually like, but this was very minor.

Breakfast was included with eggs, coffee, bread etc..

The old city is just a 10 to 15 minute walk away, however if you are coming back late from the old city be hypervigilant. After you leave the plaza in front of the entrance to the old city it gets a bit sketchy. Nothing remotely scary happened, it was just a bit eerie as the street was sparsely populated during that time. Once you get into the little streets of Getsemani it's fine.

Getsemani itself is very funky in and of itself and I really liked the neighborhood.

I left the next day to go elsewhere in Colombia and could kick myself for not reserving ahead of time when I had to return as they were fully booked. However the lady at the front desk was nice enough to call another hotel to arrange a room so I didn't have to traipse around town in the heat looking for another one. They even gave me a free beer while they called.

I highly recommend this place if you find yourself in Cartagena.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
CASALOLA, Director de Recepción at Hotel Casa Lola, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear Mrs.

It was a pleasure for us to receive you at Casa Lola.

We hope you can come back soon.

Remember this is your home.

Regards,

Faizulis Vides
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I visited Cartagena last week and I chosed Casa Lola because of "the new york times" article talking about Getsemani as the trendiest Cartagena neigbourghood, also recommending this hotel. The building and decor are completely amazing. The staff really close and taking care of the guests all the time. And really Getsemani is definetly the place to be!!!!!! I encourage every one to live an special stay in this incredible Casa Lola

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ana966
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

We booked this hotel at the very last-minute due to an unprofessional incident with La Passion, and we were so glad La Passion messed up because Hotel Casa Lola is so much nicer in every way and also much better value! The pictures on Lola's website do not do it justice because so much of the design is the 360 experience of seeing all the chic details come together. The hotel is exquisitely decorated with lots of stylish flair and architectural authenticity (very high ceilings, amazing shower surrounded by plants with an open sky, riad style layout, charming rooftop pool, great use of color and antiques and exposed brick, and all around it looked like something out of a style magazine.) We were upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite, and everything about our room felt luxurious and charming. I travel a lot and have stayed at nearly 100 hotels across 5 continents, and this is one of my absolute favorites and easily one of the best value hotels. Also, I've seen previous reviewers comment on noise and/or bathroom issues, and didn't experience either and we're picky. It was always quiet in our room and throughout the rest of the hotel, and we found the bathroom luxurious.

The service at Casa Lola was amazing -- by far the best service we had in Colombia and some of the best service we've had throughout all our trips to Latin America. Everyone was friendly, thoughtful, responsive and insightful, and we ask a lot of questions and are pretty needy guests. They were wonderful booking restaurant reservations for us, giving suggestions for sightseeing, booking cars, and all around checking in on us and making sure we had a wonderful stay. They served our favorite breakfast in Colombia among all 5 hotels, and the waitress was lovely too.

As for the neighborhood, it's about a 5 minute walk (assuming you go the direct route) and the Getsemani area is charming and worth seeing in it's own right. It was totally safe, has some excellent restaurants, and it's nice seeing where locals live. (We saw a mother giving her son a haircut on the street, kids selling lemonade, a band practicing in the square -- not dangerous at all -- and everyone smiled hello as we explored the neighborhood.) We thought Getsemani made our visit to Cartagena more interesting, since the main part of the old town is touristy, and Getsemani was more authentic, and pretty too. Actually, right when we returned the New York times ran an article on Getsemani as a recommended tourist destination and calls out Casa Lola:

Our favorite part of our trip to Colombia was taking a private cooking class with Jorge Escandon who owns La Cevicheria and was featured on Anthony Bourdain's Colombia episode. If you're a big foodie and you're doing to Cartagena, mail fachito@hotmail.com to set up a cooking class. Jorge is so much fun, and he takes you on a tour of the local market, and then invites you to his beachfront house to make ceviche and lobster paella.

Also, of restaurants near the hotel our favorite was La Cocina de Pepina.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple