“Very nice place !!”

Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Cartagena
Weston, Florida
“Very nice place !!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It is a very nice Hotel in the Old Cartagena... It is and old building with a lot of touch mixing old and contemporary style. The service was great., the food was very good ., but a couple of things did not like. Our balcony was facing the main street so it was very noisy, this noise coming from the street at night and early in the morning. The pool area was very disappointed and the pool was in bad shape and dirty.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I spent two weeks at Casa Lola. It is truly an oasis in the busy, bustling, beeping, vibrant, colourful city that is Cartagena. I came on my own, as a 50th birthday present to myself. I chose Cartagena, because a man I fell in love with in 2007, was killed a year ago this month and he once told me that in his wildest dreams, he would disappear and come to live in Cartagena. I therefore came to see what it was that attracted him.

I loved it at Casa Lola. From the other reviews I can see the points that people have made against it, but things have to be put into prospective. This is an old colonial, type house, not a bran, spanking new, sterile hotel. Yes there is damp and my room did leak when the rain turned into a tropical, torrential, fury, but what do you expect when the house is built around the garden and it rains in the dining room? I found it charming. It is a place for romance, for couples in love or a place for someone, like me, to write and think and decide what to do with the rest of my life.

The hotel is full of art, in fact every item in the hotel could have come from a display in an art gallery, even the butter dish at breakfast. Music is played from mid morning until late evening and incense burned adding to the relaxing atmosphere, a far cry from the city outside. A water feature runs from the lounge area to almost the other end of the hotel, with little green, leafy garden features along the way, where little lizards can be seen running around.

There are three lounge areas, a sun platform and the pool area on the roof with sun loungers. My room was above the street with a small balcony where I could stand and watch the world go by, this I too loved. I have to point out that the noise level is high, especially with Bar Havana just at the end of the road, not open every night, but when it is, then the music plays until 3am in the morning, but again I enjoyed listening to the Salsa music and after a couple of nights I got used to the noise and slept through it, but don't expect to sleep the night if you come here, it is not that sort of place, the night is when people come alive! It must be embraced to fully enjoy the experience of visiting this city.

The people working here were friendly and courteous and most could speak some English. The receptionist was fluent in English, an absolute godsend to me, as I spoke only a few words of Spanish, so booking trips was a nightmare. I had to ask her to check for me to make sure I had been understood on the phone and for one trip to Paso Fino ranch, she made sure I had a taxi that was safe to go in, as I had to travel quite a distance and needed a return journey.

To begin with I didn't dare go out in the evening, so many people at home had warned against it and a lot of the reviews on the internet, but it was all rubbish, there must have been one policeman for every ten people on the street at all times of day and night, unheard of in England, where I certainly wouldn't walk out on my own in a City! It is completely safe and once I got used to the street traders thrusting beads in my face all was good. Still I didn't go out at night until my second week, so ate dinner at Casa Lola, which was good also, especially a fried fish dish I had, not a lot of fish on it, but very tasty. Breakfast was excellent too, especially the omelettes with everything in and the beautiful bowl of fruit.

A couple of other things to note. A basket of toiletries was provided in the bathroom, a tray of snacks in the room and a mini fridge supplied with items such as, water, coke, tonic, whisky, rum, beer and chocolate bars in, all with price lists. The only thing I felt was missing was the facilities to make tea and coffee in my room. There were two bath towels and two hand towels, shower soap, hand soap and a small tray of toiletries. The shower only has a see-through curtain and the toilet a covered glass door, so yes, noises can be heard from the bathroom, but as I was alone, it didn't matter to me and there was a safe under the sink. The room was cleaned in the morning and if one went out in the evening it was done again, with the bed turned down ready for the night. On the door are red and green tassels. I didn't work these out until later, but red was for no entry, green for go. The air-conditioner had a remote control, so the room temperature could be adjusted to suit ones tastes and the TV was a modern flat screen, so I was able to plug my IPad in with the HDMI connector I brought with me and watch movies I had downloaded on it. There was also a single bed in my room on a kind of platform above the double bed with wooden stairs leading up, a bit precarious if you have a child with you, as the floor just ends above the stairs with no barrier to prevent falls. Agreeing with the other reviews, there was no hot water, at best it was luke warm, but if you turn off the air conditioner before you shower, then in this heat the water is fine. Also the hotel internet won't work in the rooms, only downstairs, or on the roof, but another unlocked wifi signal can be picked up in the area of the upstairs lounge, so much of my time was spent here.

In conclusion, If I returned to Cartagena, I would definitely stay at Casa Lola in Getsemini. Bocargrande is far too commercial and the walled part of the city even busier and noisier, so being just outside the wall was perfect.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sagaciouswoman333
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Super stylish and original hotel, friendly staff lovely terrace. This hotel was quite a find! I love decorating intariores and this hotel has a special touch, you notice that you have all the love decorating, I've been in many hotels and I was really impresonada with the combination of styles that make it unique, excellent breakfasts! you can't loose it!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Casa Lola is a beautiful boutique hotel. It's is walking distance to the walled city, beatifully decorated and very friendly staff. One late night I was in the mood for coconut rice and I called the front desk to ask of a restaurant that would be open. He said he knew of a very good place for my boyfriend and an I to go and that he could walk us there if we wanted too!!! You can't find service like that anymore! Front desk speaks English and they will also help you arrange travel if you are going to Islands etc... Cartagena, Colombia is an Amazing city!!!! It is VERY safe for all those of you who still have an image of Colombia of what it was 20 years ago. Wake up and smell the COLOMBIAN coffee!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Casa Lola is an experience. It's a boutique hotel and wears this badge with pride. Blending traditional designs with strikingly modern elements, the hotel itself could be considered a work of art. Combine this with the great service, excellent location and comfortable rooms and you have a memorable stay in the charming city of Cartagena. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Finland
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel is a charming oasis in the middle of not-so-charming neighbourhood. The rooms and the general areas of the hotel are beautiful and nicely decorated. The pool (though very small) is a very good plus, considering that it is baking hot in Cartagena (at least it was in June!). It's hard to imagine looking from the street that this hotel is actually a very peaceful place. Inside, you'd never know you're in the middle of Getsemani.

The staff is extremely warm and helpful and even though not many of them speak any English, they always made sure that all issues were solved (even though it meant combining my poor Spanish, their poor English and LP's dictionary with only few phrases in Spanish).

I admit that the walk to the walled city is not pretty (you have to take a street full of loitering prostitutes) and the street was usually very dark in the evening - actually, coming to think of it, a small flashlight wouldn't have been a bad idea considering all the stray dogs sleeping in the dark. It's, however, only a short and quick walk and we did not see that as a problem. The street to the walled city did not feel unsafe, only unpleasant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The design of this hotel was very impressive and I've stayed in boutique hotels throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia. The Getsemani area is close to the walled city but is filled with a bit more hostels and locals than areas there. It was actually a preferable place to stay on the weekend that we were in Cartagena because it was closer to the clubs and live music bars. If you do not plan to party, this neighborhood may be less desirable (but again its a 5-10 minute walk from the walled city).

The service and breakfast was forgettable but I had no complaints.

One thing to mention is that we went during rainy season. The open and modern design of the hotel is very impressive but makes the loungey areas unusable during that season---which sucks if you run to your hotel during a heavy downpour. Fortunately, although it rained during our stay, it was only for an hour or two on the days that it did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple