“Fun activity for everyone!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Volcan de Lodo El Totumo (Mud Volcano)

Volcan de Lodo El Totumo (Mud Volcano)
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
Half-Day to Mud Volcano from Cartagena
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun activity for everyone!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Swimming in the mud was unlike anything we had experienced before, and was well worth the trip. You climb up a steep set of stairs then climb down into a pool of mud. There are people to hold your belongings at the top and take pictures of you as you are climbing down and in the mud (for a tip, which you give at the end). We spent as long as we wanted, although the pool got quite busy after us and there was a line to get in (get there early! 8:30ish). You will then be washed off by women who will clean your suit in the river, but the water is cloudy enough that you can't see anyone.
I would have rated the trip a 5 Iif it were not for the issue of tipping. Everyone will come to you at the end and request/demand tips. It is not an issue of expense (we were happy to provide fair compensation); however, it is confusing to have many people asking for money at the end (with a group). Pay attention to who provided services for your group and bring lots of small bills (1000, 2000, 5000 pesos) because you cannot give one tip for the group. It would be much easier if there was simply a higher single fee.

Visited March 2014

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“totally worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

cool and unusual position to be suspended in mud and have handlers guide you in and massage you, its one in a lifetime experience, just do it. the only draw back is that its a good 30-45 min ride. bring some spare cash and a camera, u pay for the entrance which is 5 bucks and than u pay for the handlers the camera guy and the ladies that wash you, grand total of 20, which is a measly 10 us dollars.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Aldo D
Syracuse NY
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“What a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

The hotel had Eco tour pick us up to take us to the volcano. I highly recommend doing that bc they explain everything in regards to the people there looking for money. Plus they have a building at the volcano where you can get a beer and relax. I suggest the morning tour bc they also take you to a beach for a fresh catch lunch. The whole tour I really cheap. The volcano is really weird but a truly unique experience

Toronto
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“OMG!!! This was sooooo much fun!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I think we laughed the whole time from when we descended into the warm mud "volcano", got manhandled/massaged, bobbed around in the mud, slithered out, and flopped down to the lake where ladies wash you off (take off your suit and everything - don't worry the water is murky enough for modesty - and bath you like a baby including cleaning out your ears, hilarious!). Trust me, you want these ladies washing out your suit after it's been soaked in mud! This is a seriously fun thing to do and the mud is a crazy feeling ... warm, mineral, unsinkable. You leave feeling very invigorated! Getting all the little extras like the massage, wash-off and photos (guy will take photos for you with your camera if you bring it to the top with you ... he's juggling about a dozen cameras at any given time and takes great photos) is totally worth it. The fee is about $1.50 per service, so for two people it was $7.50 total: seriously, why are people complaining about this? These are locals doing the work they can to earn a living.

Yes, the stairs are a bit rickety but nothing dangerous. Just be careful.

There is a little cantina where you can get beer and other refreshments afterwards. Bathrooms are *basic* with no TP ... but you knew that, travelling in Colombia ;)

We went with a tour bus of about 20 people and had lunch included at a local beach cafe on the way back to Cartagena with a few hours to relax on the beach. All in all, it was a very nice way to spend the day for 40,000 pp.

Couple of tips: Wear and old bathing suit and wear it under your clothes there (change rooms are not great) ... I think I washed mine about 15 times when I got home to get the last of the mud out of the lining. We were able to leave our bags on our tour bus which was great. Bring a towel. Take your camera to the top and the guy will take photos for you.

5 Thank NoFixedPlans
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I went here while visiting Cartagena with a friend and her daughter. Her daughter is only 3 years old, so I knew if I wanted to try this, I would have to go alone. After talking to some friends who had done it last year, I knew it would be worth it! Let me tell you about my experience.

Know what to expect going in. I paid 38,000 pesos (about $15) for the afternoon trip (which does not include lunch). What a reasonable price considering it includes taking me from my hotel to the volcano, the experience itself, and the trip back.

I will tell you upfront that the bus is nice, clean, safe, and there is a guide, but the guide knew only limited English (this is why it is important to know what to expect going in). The drive is about an hour long from Bocagrande.

When you arrive, you go into a little building and change into your bathing suit, then you basically leave your bag and clothes in a little room (there are some lockers, but nowhere near enough...so only bring the basics!) Give your camera to the guy who works there, he will take pictures of you!

Next, you climb the mountain. Now, the stairs are rudimentary, but do-able. There were lots of elderly people in my group and everyone was ok. Then you climb down this ladder into the mud. There is a guy to help you onto the ladder and a guy to help you into the mud at the bottom. Now you will get covered in mud and given a massage!!! Very nice!!

Then you enjoy the mud as long as you want and then you climb out on a different ladder. The guys will help you up to steady you and get rid of the excess mud.

Next, walk down the stairs and head to the lagoon where the local ladies will wash you. They wash everything, your hair, your bikini, and your shoes! They are great!

Now, head back to the main building to get your towel, dry yourself off and get dressed!

While you wait for everyone else, grab a beer or pop or whatever to drink and relax. When they are done with everyone else, the men and women who work there will come to get paid for the excess services:
massage - 3000 pesos ($1.50)
wash you, your bikini, and your shoes - 3000 pesos ($1.50)
pictures - 3000 pesos ($1.50)

Amazing. Beer, also 3000 pesos. I basically brought exactly that much money because I read everyone`s reviews and I knew what to expect. Then we all got back on the bus and brought back to our hotels. Amazing.

An extremely good experience for me. Unique, special. I would recommend it to anyone coming here. Please just know what to expect.

Bring:
- about 15000 pesos ($7.50) to pay for the extra stuff
- a towel
- your camera
- wear shoes you don`t mind getting dirty
- wear a bathing suit you won`t mind if it gets stained...it is hard to get it completely clean again
- don`t bring valuables...you will be leaving everything in a room while you go get dirty!!

7 Thank JennFromTO