“neat experience. only go once. more so hand made now”

Volcan de Lodo El Totumo (Mud Volcano)
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Don't book through a website. We took a private car from Cartagena to Baq hotel to hotel play stop at the Volcano for 150 mil pesos. Websites cost at least 90 - 180 mil pesos apiece and much slower.

Like another said Propinas are annoying. Be blunt! say no. to the ladies at the lake! it is more hassle than good. No to a dude massage in the volcano. Only one person for pix! and carrying clothes.

Remember you have the money so what you say goes! I am from the U.S. I stick out like a sore thumb so they all try to latch on!

if you let it it gets expensive. And they have built up this so called volcano. I do not know if it is truly real. More of a tourist trap so go but don't give what you do not want

Bring a bag for wet clothes/ toilet paper/ bathroom needs tips too! they are locked

Date of experience: February 2014
1  Thank Brody U
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"tour group"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The volcano itshelf is a very unique experience and very fun. You can actually float in the mud without using any force of your body.
The "problem" about this place is the "propinas". To go there from the bus stop you normally pay 2000 pesos, my friend asked in english so we payed 3000 each. For the entrance you pay 5000pesos but you don't have any place to leave your bags so a boy is helping you. This boy is also taking pictures of you while bathing and fro the view of the volcano. Then if is one boy you are lucky, for us were two. So when you finish the bath you go to the lake and two ladies start cleaning you even if you don't want them. I asked them in spanish to stop and they didn't. At the end the ladies demand of 2000 pesos propina. Later , when you are dressed and ready to go the boys demand their propina 3000 pesos each. It was the end of my stay in colombia so i said to them in colombian slang that this is not a tip but a price that we were not informed in the begining and we couldn't avoid so after 5 minutes of discusion they agreed that i can give them at least the money that i want to. After all this "propina people" took all my money we had to walk to the bus stop..

Date of experience: November 2013
2  Thank Natasa_Chatzi
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Took two hours to get there as the bus stopped at one place after another until full. One there,unpleasantly surprised. I'm not a neat freak, but this place is hygiene hell. There's a smallish man made pit with mud, and hundreds of unwashed tourists cycle through the same mud all day long and presumably day after day. On seeing it, I was reluctant to go in but having spent 2 hours to get there, down into the pit I went like a good lemming. A Japanese woman next to me was having a panic attack and begging her husband to get her out of the pit. In sum: Drive 2 hours to soak for a few minutes in a pit of filth. Lots to do in Cartagena, so skip this one.

Date of experience: January 2014
5  Thank Chris L
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were almost put off this trip by some reviews saying there was loads of hassle with give tips but if you know this in advance it's very easy.

Wear an ols suit as the mud does stain.
You will need c $1.50 for:
The guy who takes your photos & returns your camera to you at the end
The kids who take your flip flops from the base to the exit, wash them in the lake & have them waiting for you to leave in (only need $1 for this)
The massage men if you chose this (we didn't & it wasn't a problem)
The woman who wash you & your swimmies (again optional) - we did as there is something great about being washed like a toddler after a mud bath but be prepared - they do whip your swimmies off and wash them while you're sat on the lake!
Once you're washed & waiting to leave one of each of those groups will appear & you pay them- simple.

The volcano itself is so bizarre & unique an experience it'd be a shame to miss it.
We booked through Marlin tours (nxt door to Marlin hostel in Getsamani) & got lunch & a beach trip included

Date of experience: January 2014
See more reviews
Reviewed January 12, 2014

But would it be one to repeat? no. First of all, wear your oldest bathing suit possible, one that you don't care about! The mud is impossible to get out!

Also bring lots of pesos to pay: the kid taking your pictures with your camera (3000 pesos), the guy giving you a mud massage (3000 pesos), the lady you pay to wash you off in the lagoon (3000 pesos), the man washing your flip-flops (3000 pesos). Of course these are all optional but we decided to do the the whole experience. Well you don't have much choice about the camera kid bc otherwise you won't have any pictures - he did do a really great job!

Beware - if you have trouble climbing a ladder, don't come here. The wooden ladder going into the volcano is completely covered in mud, and very slippery. Once in the mud, it is very hard to move, it kind of reminded me of floating in the Dead Sea. The ladder coming out of the mud was even worse! I was afraid that I was going to slip down when I came out.

This was definitely a one of a kind experience that will we never repeat! :)

Date of experience: December 2013