“Unique Experience!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Volcan de Lodo El Totumo (Mud Volcano)

Volcan de Lodo El Totumo (Mud Volcano)
Book In Advance
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unique Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

A bit strange at first but really fun. It brings you back to your childhood and is a once in a lifetime experience.

1 Thank Gringohaus

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Do once and only once”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is definitely worth doing and I'd recommend doing it, but I would not do it again. Floating in the mud is really weird and to be honest I didn't like it, but I'm really glad I did it. It's hard to get around in the volcano and it's super crowded. If you're a hygiene freak absolutely don't go, and if you're prone to claustrophobia think twice. The massages are a joke if you're a dude, but whatever it's $1.50USD. For me the best part was the lady who cleaned me off in the lake, I need a servant like that at home. All of the local workers were quite nice. Our tour came with lunch at Playmar Restaurante on the beach, which was actually one of the best meals we had the entire time.

1 Thank Brandon T
Glasgow
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“I laughed when it was over.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Climb the rickety ladder up the giant termite mound, with gravel digging in on the soles of your feet. Hold on to the wobbling fence at the top looking 15 feet/ 5 metres down into a seething mass of grey zombie tourists covered in glutinous thick mud and observe the terror of the swim suited person going down the unstable ladder into the pit. Decide there is no going back, I have little option as my daughter aged 29 is shouting come on Mum and I need to prove I can. So I do. There is no bottom to this manky place and health and safety has been left elsewhere. keep your mouth closed, you have no idea what is in here and once in, don't want to know.The mud sort of holds you but getting across to the exit ladder after the compulsory vigorous "massage" is hard. It is choc a block full of others.All you can see of any one is eyes and mouths. No one can wipe this stuff out of eyes or mouth as we are all thickly covered - face, hair, everywhere. The ladder out is moving and insecure, tilting in towards the pit, it is covered in wet creamy grey.....mud. This is really hard, cannot fall, people would be hurt and there is no bottom. Even young fit people struggle so the guy at the top throws a bowl of sand at you as you emerge holding tight, trying to grip with gobbets sliding of you so he can grab to haul you back onto the top of the man made termite mound. A long walk down to the soupy lagoon where ladies dash up with bowls of soupy water and rub the stuff of. Don't inhale, keep your mouth shut, this just is not clean.

However, it is very very funny and very very daft and I am really pleased I have done it and I don't need to do it again. Ever.

I couldn't decide between a terrible or excellent rating, so compramised

Visited June 2013
2 Thank velvethaggis
Tampa, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Amazingly interesting and relaxing mud bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

First off, I might be alone, but I expected the mud to be like a very warm bath tub but it was actually cooler than the air temperature that day but not cold. Inside the volcano there are men who will massage you, at the top there are men who will take photos of you while you're in the volcano with your own camera, and after your bath in the volcano there are women who will help you wash off in the lagoon. Each of the services cost 3 mil pesos. This is kind of unspoken. The men in the volcano seem to get more in depth with their massages of young women rather than men. (Just an observation). The photo quality was very good. Tip to be aware of! The people working there are of a very rural area and are not cautious about violating personal space, there is NO personal space in the volcano, its hard to navagate and you will bump into people. The women in the lagoon are very comfortable with rubbing the dirt off you and washing you. I went with some American girls and they didn't appreciate that the women just pulled off their bikini tops to wash their chests (the chests of the american girls) and the bikinis themselves. Also there are a lot of little kids running around begging for money because they know tourists will be there. They might say they'll bring the money to your cameraman, your masseur or washing woman, but do not pay anyone who isn't the exact person you wish to recieve the money

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tonyquatts
Dallas, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“It's an experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

First if the idea of a mud bath turns you off... Don't go. The "tours" seem a bit over priced for basically a ride out there, but the experience as a whole was worth it.
30.000 pesos for the tour ride out there.

The extras work like this:
3.000 for a guy to hold your camera and keep it out of the mud while taking lots of photos of you; worth it. He took great photos even using my iPhone.
3.000 for the "massage" not really worth it but kind of hard to get out of it. I heard its better if your not with a big tour group.
3.000 for a bath in the lagoon at the end... Totally worth it.

Only real down side was our tour guide made us hang around for a while while her friend, who was riding the tour bus with us, went fishing which made us over an hour late getting back, but we were able to buy beer at the volcano so it wasn't a horrible wait, just annoying.

2 Thank nitsogar