“Best hotel of our Colombian stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Quero

Casa Quero
Ranked #4 of 159 Cartagena B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel of our Colombian stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We (a party of 3) stayed in Casa Quero for 4 nights of a 3 week stay in Colombia and we agreed that it was by far the best hotel we visited in Colombia.
The rooms are beautiful - airy and light and very spacious. The decor and furnishings were very high end. It was a joy just to lie in the bedroom for a few hours.
There is a small pool on the roof which is perfect for cooling off after a few hours on the hot streets of Cartagena.
The staff were very helpful. We were leaving Cartagena at 5 pm on our final day and they let us stay in the rooms until 3pm. I left a wristwatch in the hotel room and they have been in touch with me in the UK to arrange posting it over. Nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel was not too expensive as we had just missed the high season. We paid 3 star prices for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank corriespy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Those of you who had a good time at Casa Quero, well done. For us, the hotel acted unprofessionally. The following is not a whinge, just a warning to others.

Last July, we booked 2 rooms for 5 nights over the New Year, through booking dot com. A couple of months later, the agency told me the hotel had "made a mistake" and the price I had originally been quoted was now almost doubled. We 'discussed' the situation, and came to an amicable agreement. Then, in December, we were informed that the rooms were no longer available. We were offered an alternative boutique hotel or the Hotel Caribe. (If you remember the US Secret Service prostitution scandal in 2012, it was at the Caribe.) And full, non-refundable payment was demanded - by Casa Quero - for the alternative boutique hotel. Again I 'discussed' the situation with booking dot com and eventually agreed to pay upfront - but I would only make payment to the hotel where we were actually going to stay.

For lodgings that have a #1 Tripadvisor status, I feel this is shabby treatment and other travellers should be aware.

As it turned out, the alternative boutique hotel was more than acceptable. It was located in Getsemani rather than the San Diego area of the city, but it was fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelBeaucoup
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Extremely helpful and kind staff members, absolutely perfect location, beautiful and quiet junior suite... What else could we have asked for? Casa Quero room rates were higher than what we wanted to spend but we have no regret whatsoever: we loved our 3 nights there and we would book there again if we'd go back to Cartagena.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cdny3
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I selected Grand Suite Condesa and my daughter chose Junior Suite Popa.I had spent about 4 hours researching boutique hotels and we only wanted to stay in the historic district.
Wonderfully decorated with white wicker and blue and white fabrics--very Caribbean in feeling. Very light and comfortable rooms. Bathrooms are very up to date.
We were able to walk everywhere during the day and sometimes we took taxis at night when going to restaurants like the Yacht Club.
Taxis are very cheap, but be aware that the drivers usually don't know where anything is, so make sure you do!!
We just loved the hotel and Luisa was especially helpful. Delicious breakfasts! If you are a tea drinker, as I am, bring your own teabags, as they only focus on coffee.
We definitely plan on returning as Cartagena is a wonderful jewel of a city--very convenient direct flights from JFK via JetBlue and the airport is only 12 minutes to the center of town!!
We can't wait to go back for another long weekend.....

Room Tip: both the Grand Suites are terrific. My adult daughter chose Popa for herself. Quiet and light.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LeChienNoir
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I will preface my review by saying that Cartagena has always been a mythical city to me, somewhere I had always dreamt of going, so I wanted this trip to be a fulfillment of that dream. I spent months on the computer reading every review, studying the neighborhoods, the beaches, restaurants and salsa clubs. I chose Hotel Casa Quero and it was the right choice.
We arrived midday via the car we requested the hotel send to pick us up. I highly recommend this in Colombia. It cost a little more, but you will go right to your destination without the driver getting lost trying to locate this hotel through the narrow streets of the historical district. Our room was ready and beautiful. We were asked if we wanted fresh juice, but we chose cold beers instead. The were served up in cold glasses and were perfect. We chose a standard room with two balconies that overlooked the interior courtyard. The room was large with a rain shower and a skylight in the large bathroom. Plenty of hot water too. The bed was muy comfi. There was ample closet space, a large flat screen with some channels in English (CNN and some TV shows and movies), an I Pod dock, adequate lighting, killer AC, a frig with the standard snacks and beverages inside. Every area of this hotel is clean, peaceful and decorated to the max. The breakfast area is lovely to sit in in the morning and have coffee, fresh juice, fruit and eggs or an arepa cooked to order and I highly recommend the arepa.
The service is excellent hotel wide from the desk to the kitchen to the management. The toucan, Pepi, loved to have his picture taken. We never wanted for a thing except a good wifi connection. This is the only stumbling point of this hotel. That is why it is only near perfect, otherwise it would be perfect. I could not maintain a good wifi connection here, but I was able to use the computers in the business area. I was told that a computer area for guests is in the works.
After walking around the city it was a delight to cool off in the small pool in the roof. It was clean and cool. It is not for lap swimming, but you can splash around in it and the view is amazing over all of Cartagena.
The location is very central. It was very easy to walk everywhere we wanted to go from the hotel and a very good restaurant for typical Colombian food is directly across the street, La Mullata. It closes at 4 pm so it was good for a late lunch. There are two Exito supermarkets within walking distance and you can pick up snacks and beverages there. For some reason wine in restaurants is marked up very high, unreasonably high, but in the markets it is very affordable. There is a lot of Chilean and Argentinian wine on the restaurants. It is good, but not worth $100.00 a bottle. The hotel will give you an ice bucket and wine glasses. There are shopping areas within an easy walk. If you want to change money banks don't change it. You can go to Western Union or use a walk-up Cambio store. Do not change money on the street. There are safes in the rooms, but the hotel in secure since everyone must be buzzed in.
I felt the neighborhood was very safe. We were two women travelling and we walked around alone and together many times at night and never felt unsafe, even when lost. Lots of people are on the streets in the plazas and the restaurants surrounding them enjoying the balmy nights. We made our way to Havana Cafe and Fidel, both salsa clubs and had a ball, especially at Havana Cafe. My friend both broke of her shoes dancing there and came back to the hotel barefoot. Now that was a good night. Mind the mojitos there. They are strong. This was the club the secret service guys got into trouble at. Now I know why.
We did look at two of suites here and they are enormous, three times the size of our room at least. I would say epic and gorgeous with large balconies and bathroom a couple of families could live in. They would be a great choice for a honeymoon or a splurge. I looked around at a lot of other places that I had considered and none of them were as beautiful as Hotel Casa Quero.
Thank you everyone from Hotel Casa Quero for your wonderful smiles and great service. I already want to come back next November. You rock!!!

Room Tip: The balcony room for lots of light.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sfjam
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

At casa quero you feel like VIP guest.
Conde quero room is beautiful .
Breakfast is very personal , prepared at your request every day.
Pico is the tucan bird they have in the patio and is a star !!
The whole house decoration is lovely and the pool although small , has great views and there is no one there usually so all to yourself.
We stayed there 4 nights and was great

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Isla R
Santiago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful small hotel, very well located, big and spacious rooms as well as bathrooms. Staff is wonderful, always there for you, specially Luisa and Julie.
Cozy, nicely decorated, very clean, very quiet and private.
Kitchen is spotless, wonderful breakfasts, kitchen staff so nice.
If I were to go back to Cartagena, I would definitely stay at Casa Quero again.

Room Tip: I believe that all rooms are similar, except for the suite. They have very high ceilings, all painte...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family