“wonderful boutique hotel.”
Review of Casa Quero

Casa Quero
Ranked #3 of 173 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I selected Grand Suite Condesa and my daughter chose Junior Suite Popa.I had spent about 4 hours researching boutique hotels and we only wanted to stay in the historic district.
Wonderfully decorated with white wicker and blue and white fabrics--very Caribbean in feeling. Very light and comfortable rooms. Bathrooms are very up to date.
We were able to walk everywhere during the day and sometimes we took taxis at night when going to restaurants like the Yacht Club.
Taxis are very cheap, but be aware that the drivers usually don't know where anything is, so make sure you do!!
We just loved the hotel and Luisa was especially helpful. Delicious breakfasts! If you are a tea drinker, as I am, bring your own teabags, as they only focus on coffee.
We definitely plan on returning as Cartagena is a wonderful jewel of a city--very convenient direct flights from JFK via JetBlue and the airport is only 12 minutes to the center of town!!
We can't wait to go back for another long weekend.....

Room Tip: both the Grand Suites are terrific. My adult daughter chose Popa for herself. Quiet and light.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LeChienNoir

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I will preface my review by saying that Cartagena has always been a mythical city to me, somewhere I had always dreamt of going, so I wanted this trip to be a fulfillment of that dream. I spent months on the computer reading every review, studying the neighborhoods, the beaches, restaurants and salsa clubs. I chose Hotel Casa Quero and it was the right choice.
We arrived midday via the car we requested the hotel send to pick us up. I highly recommend this in Colombia. It cost a little more, but you will go right to your destination without the driver getting lost trying to locate this hotel through the narrow streets of the historical district. Our room was ready and beautiful. We were asked if we wanted fresh juice, but we chose cold beers instead. The were served up in cold glasses and were perfect. We chose a standard room with two balconies that overlooked the interior courtyard. The room was large with a rain shower and a skylight in the large bathroom. Plenty of hot water too. The bed was muy comfi. There was ample closet space, a large flat screen with some channels in English (CNN and some TV shows and movies), an I Pod dock, adequate lighting, killer AC, a frig with the standard snacks and beverages inside. Every area of this hotel is clean, peaceful and decorated to the max. The breakfast area is lovely to sit in in the morning and have coffee, fresh juice, fruit and eggs or an arepa cooked to order and I highly recommend the arepa.
The service is excellent hotel wide from the desk to the kitchen to the management. The toucan, Pepi, loved to have his picture taken. We never wanted for a thing except a good wifi connection. This is the only stumbling point of this hotel. That is why it is only near perfect, otherwise it would be perfect. I could not maintain a good wifi connection here, but I was able to use the computers in the business area. I was told that a computer area for guests is in the works.
After walking around the city it was a delight to cool off in the small pool in the roof. It was clean and cool. It is not for lap swimming, but you can splash around in it and the view is amazing over all of Cartagena.
The location is very central. It was very easy to walk everywhere we wanted to go from the hotel and a very good restaurant for typical Colombian food is directly across the street, La Mullata. It closes at 4 pm so it was good for a late lunch. There are two Exito supermarkets within walking distance and you can pick up snacks and beverages there. For some reason wine in restaurants is marked up very high, unreasonably high, but in the markets it is very affordable. There is a lot of Chilean and Argentinian wine on the restaurants. It is good, but not worth $100.00 a bottle. The hotel will give you an ice bucket and wine glasses. There are shopping areas within an easy walk. If you want to change money banks don't change it. You can go to Western Union or use a walk-up Cambio store. Do not change money on the street. There are safes in the rooms, but the hotel in secure since everyone must be buzzed in.
I felt the neighborhood was very safe. We were two women travelling and we walked around alone and together many times at night and never felt unsafe, even when lost. Lots of people are on the streets in the plazas and the restaurants surrounding them enjoying the balmy nights. We made our way to Havana Cafe and Fidel, both salsa clubs and had a ball, especially at Havana Cafe. My friend both broke of her shoes dancing there and came back to the hotel barefoot. Now that was a good night. Mind the mojitos there. They are strong. This was the club the secret service guys got into trouble at. Now I know why.
We did look at two of suites here and they are enormous, three times the size of our room at least. I would say epic and gorgeous with large balconies and bathroom a couple of families could live in. They would be a great choice for a honeymoon or a splurge. I looked around at a lot of other places that I had considered and none of them were as beautiful as Hotel Casa Quero.
Thank you everyone from Hotel Casa Quero for your wonderful smiles and great service. I already want to come back next November. You rock!!!

Room Tip: The balcony room for lots of light.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sfjam
Reviewed August 19, 2012

At casa quero you feel like VIP guest.
Conde quero room is beautiful .
Breakfast is very personal , prepared at your request every day.
Pico is the tucan bird they have in the patio and is a star !!
The whole house decoration is lovely and the pool although small , has great views and there is no one there usually so all to yourself.
We stayed there 4 nights and was great

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Isla R
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful small hotel, very well located, big and spacious rooms as well as bathrooms. Staff is wonderful, always there for you, specially Luisa and Julie.
Cozy, nicely decorated, very clean, very quiet and private.
Kitchen is spotless, wonderful breakfasts, kitchen staff so nice.
If I were to go back to Cartagena, I would definitely stay at Casa Quero again.

Room Tip: I believe that all rooms are similar, except for the suite. They have very high ceilings, all painte...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DWLSantiago
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed in Casa Quero during the Americas Summit. The rooms were beautiful and spotless. Service outstanding and the reception was there to help you in every need. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cocolo47
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at Casa Quero for two nights and it was really nice. Nice location, the rooms have a great size and the staff is outstanding.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Carlos O
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed in Casa Quero with my boyfriend for 3 days and I wish we could have stayed longer. the whole house was magic! rooms were impeccable and the service outstanding. The food is amazing and they care of all your needs even before you ask! The staff went out of their way, making reservations, giving us recommendations and even cooking little Colombian treats when we ask for.
I could never thank them enough! the made our stayed in Cartagena unforgettable.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple