“Lobster Ceviche I'll dream about forever!”
Review of La Cevicheria

La Cevicheria
Ranked #42 of 689 Restaurants in Cartagena
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
West Linn, Oregon
“Lobster Ceviche I'll dream about forever!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a charming waiter on the late afternoon we dined here. We helped him with some English translations and he helped us with some Spanish translations, and by then we were fast friends! Admittedly we were fearful it would be an anti-climactic dining experience, given Anthony Bourdain's glee over the place and its high rating in every guide book around. But in no time, with a dish of lobster ceviche before us, we were moaning with pleasure. The grilled fish filet with a pesto sauce was heavenly, light and savory without being too filling. And our friends got a paella that I would love to have returned and ordered for myself--a lightly flavored coconut essence to the rice and the seafoods included were each perfectly cooked and clean tasting. We enjoyed coco-limonadas with rum with our meals, the perfect complement to the food and hot day. My mouth is watering as I write this. What a meal that was! Thank you! And to boot, it's on the cutest plazuela in the walled city for people watching.

• Visited February 2014

• Polish first
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Finally ! And what's with the low ranking ?”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Finally after 4 days here, a dinner that met expectations. I was starting to wonder......

In my opinion, much better than Porton de San Sebastian and El Balcon de San Diego and more choice here than the limited menu at Boliche Cebicheria ( note all are currently ranked in the Trip Advisor Top-20 ).

Our friends at Lonely Planet have La Cevicheria as its top pick. So despite the indifferent/negative reviews about this place that were recently posted here on TA, we went anyway.

The diabla shrimp appetizer was very flavorful. My main dish ( something like 'Suprema de supremas' ) was marinara-based sauce and chock-full of seafood. My wife's paella ( with peanut ) was excellent. The house wine was drinkable and priced at 11,000 COP per glass.

The price point here is not much different that anything else I've seen thus far in CTG.

However, our service was s-l-o-w as we sat outside and there only seemed to be one main server for all the tables.

I assume we'll come back here again for lunch before we leave.

• Visited March 2014
“Nothing special”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Tight seating. Somewhat interesting menu. A bit expensive. Friendly staff. Ceviche was tasty, but a bit soupy. Seafood was tender.

Huntington, New York
“Average but not the price”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Way too expensive for what you get. 1st night in Cartagena and we went here for dinner and the heat must have gotten to me when I was factoring in the exchange rate because when I looked at the bill I thought it was pretty cheap until when I got back inside air conditioning and came to my senses I realized it was overpriced.

Service was great. That I can't complain about. Food was good but not great. If you are going to go there I'd recommend sitting outside and people watch. Had the langosta salad which was ok. The red snapper ceviche special was good but I have had better.

The place isn't bad. I'd even eat there again if the price was better value

• Visited March 2014
San Francisco, California
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got in to Cartagena in the late afternoon and used tripadvisor to find a place to eat that was close to our hotel. La Cevicheria had decent ratings and it was visited by Anthony Bourdain, so we expected a great meal. The good was average, nothing special. My husband ordered a paella which was a small portion, flavor was one note - sweet. I ordered an appetizer of spicy shrimps, which was not spicy and the shrimps were small and did not taste fresh (texture of what you can get in a frozen bag). To top it off the prices were crazy expensive for the food you get. My suggestion is to not come here.