“Cool, convenient, affordable”

Ranked #38 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
San Francisco, California
“Cool, convenient, affordable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at 3 Banderas and we were really pleased with the accommodations, staff and service. The hotel is on a relatively quiet street in the walled city. It has two lovely courtyards, a great roof deck and the rooms are very clean, stylishly appointed and very comfortable. My only regret is that our room did not have more natural light. If possible, I would recommend requesting one of the rooms with terraces on the 2nd or third floor (although I did not check out the prices on those rooms for comparison to the room we had). The hotel offered a very nice breakfast and we were fortunate to be located right across the street from two excellent restaurants, Wok and El Boliche Cevicheria (tow of the best meals we ate during our 3 weeks in Colombia). I would definitely recommend 3 Banderas!

Room Tip: Request one of the rooms with terraces, if it's within your budget. Our first floor room was gre...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belgagal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

The location is in the historic old walled section of Cartagena. There are great restaurants in every direction and loads of people on the street going to them.

The hotel style almost seems British colonial--woods, wicker and lots of plants. (I am sure I've seen the same hotel decor in Singapore. ). There are multiple lounge areas, which helps keep the overall sound level low in the public areas.

All of the staff members are very friendly and helpful.

I think all of the rooms face into a courtyard so I specifically got a room on the 2nd floor to get some exterior light.. The room has a small balcony.

Room 201: The room is large with 1 bed, small bedside tables, alarm clock-radio, luggage racks, refrigerator, mini-kitchen sink, two cooking elements, countertop and cupboards. There are no cooking utensils, etc., but I did not ask the desk if there are some to borrow. (There are two superstore-supermarkets inside the old city, which means very close to the hotel.)

Note that I didn't mention any chairs; I brought in one from the balcony.

The lighting is good. There are plenty of power outlets (110v). The A/C is great and there is also a ceiling fan.

Wifi works great in room and lobby areas.

The bath is divided in two parts: large shower and toilet in one section; sink, closet and lots of shelving in second. The amenities are limited to soap, shampoo, shower cap and large towels. No face tissues or wash cloth.

The breakfast reminded me of a B&B. Set out for guest access are coffee, juices, milk, cereal and bread for toasting. You are given a wide range of egg choices for preparation by the staff. Your order will come with fruit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank RandiinChicago
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

our family of 5 spent 3 nights there in 2 separate rooms . This place fits right in with the Cartagena theme that we loved.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.( we fell in love with Paola)

One particular morning we decided to skip breakfast and they actually came by and asked us if we were coming because they were getting ready to close . (never had that happen)
Rooms were clean, if you're expecting a world class Hotel, it's not that, but very charming and no nonsense with outsiders getting in.

Room Tip: room 107 has a pump that goes on and off all night-so if you're a light sleeper you wont want to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike G
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights in one of the simplest room they have. It was small but cozy, stylish, quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff was amazing! so friendly and helpful to answer every kind of questions no matter the time of the day. I was traveling alone and it was my first time in Cartagena, so their help made all the difference in my experience.They don't have a buffet breakfast, but it was substantial enough and delicious (natural fruit juice, eggs with ham or tomato and onions, fresh fruit, coffee, very nice bread, jam, butter). The location is perfect! close to everything but quiet street.The hotel has an amazing patio at the top of the building, so if you don't feel like going out to a restaurant for dinner, you can just walk 2 blocks to buy some arepas or empanadas and some cold beers and relax there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Maria303
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I love this hotel! You don't need to pay a ton of money to have the best and this place offers you the best for a reasonable price.
The staff is very nice and they all speak english. Room was very clean. It's not noisy at night. The bed is very comfortable. Nice shower! Amazing breakfast! I will definitely go back here!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Normagra
where my backpack is
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed in room 204. Small, but really nice designed. Tiles on floor were beautiful, and the wood beam ceiling was great. Staff and breakfast were good, but nothing special. I would stay here again for the character and location. It was in a quiet area of Cartegena.

However, we did have an unpleasant experience during the reservation process. We had done the reservation over email, instead of through booking.com. And a week before we got there, they wanted to boot us out the last night of our 3 night stay, due to some glitch on their side. I said "no, we are there with other folks and don't want to move". The person, Paola, asked us three more time if we could move. It was getting very frustrating. Finely, I had to word a pretty strong email that we don't want to move ... for various reasons. Anyhow, just be aware.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Burien, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Very clean rooms. Quiet neighborhood. Decent breakfast although not spectacular. Friendly staff although their helpfulness and motivation varied. Nice courtyard. Easy walking distance to most of the old city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple