I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in late February. It was a lovely property and the staff was very nice and helpful, but I doubt I would stay there again for the reason stated in my headline.
1) Location! I loved the location of 3 Banderas. It's on a very pretty, quiet block situated between two plazas in the charming San Diego neighborhood. Each plaza had different restaurants and stores and I loved being able to ping-pong between them.
2) Breakfast was delicious and made to order. The woman working the breakfast always had a beautiful, welcoming smile. I am a picky coffee snob, and the coffee was plenty strong enough for me, which is muy importante!
3) My room request was honored. I asked for a third-floor room, and I got one. It had a large closet and a balcony with table and chairs.
4) Room had the holy trifecta of AC/safe/refrigerator.
1) Not a dealbreaker, but all the double/queen beds on the property are two twin beds put together. If you're sleeping with someone, one of you will inevitably wind up in the dreaded CREVICE.
2) Aaaaargh, we really needed a pool. As we walked around Cartagena peeking into the open windows and doors of other properties, it dawned on us that we were staying at perhaps the only hotel in the city without one (an exaggeration, but seriously, they were everywhere--even at hostels). On the second-to-last day of our trip, sweaty and bedraggled and exhausted from the city heat, we couldn't take it anymore and asked the receptionist if there was perhaps a hotel in the area that would let us pay to use their pool. To our surprise, there is a "sister" property, Casa Curato, on the other side of the block that has a small pool we can use, no problem, no fee. So we did, and that was great, *buuuuuuut* it would have been super awesome to have been given this key information when we checked in. I suspect they don't broadcast this intel because the pool is so small that they don't want to overrun guests of that hotel with interlopers from 3 Banderas. But I'm telling you now! So I've ruined it for everyone.
3) Water issues. The sink often refused to produce more than a trickle, and the temperature of shower fluctuated wildly...while you were in it. Ouch. As an added bonus--but again, not a dealbreaker, just weird--our glass shower door would not close on its own, so we had to wedge the bathmat in there every time. I informed them of this issue, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.
4) The overall starkness of the room mentioned by the review before me. White walls, white sheets, no art, nothing of interest. I saw other rooms, though, and they were not as bad, so that was just my luck of the draw.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel 3 Banderas is one of the first hotel boutique of its kind to have opened its doors in Cartagena 15 years ago. With over 200 years of history, this fully restored house has always kept its homelike style filled with history surrounding it. 3 Banderas offers its guests an intimate and peaceful ambiance to make them feel home. A one on one service will make you stay a wonderful experience with the 3 Banderas family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Hotel 3 Banderas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 3 Banderas Hotel