“Best ever - we didn't want to leave!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel LM

Hotel LM
Ranked #35 of 148 Hotels in Cartagena
San Diego, California
“Best ever - we didn't want to leave!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

My husband and I traveled for the first time, and absolutely loved both the city and Hotel LM!! It was truly our best hotel experience ever!

The hotel is small and elegant - a turn of the century mansion remodeled with a modern decor. We stayed in the regular room (not suite). The bathroom is large with a great closet and a wonderful shower and luxurious towels. The bed is very comfortable with nice linens. The common areas are intimate and well done - our favorite was the interior patio off the kitchen - we spent A LOT of time there, eating, drinking, socializing. The roof patio is also gorgeous.

While the hotel itself is elegant and beautiul, what truly makes it exceptional is the staff. From the moment we arrived, the staff went out of their way to ensure that our every need was satisfied. I have never seen this kind of personal attention - at a boutique hotel or any other. When we said we needed to change money, we were taken personally to a reputable place. The same went for literally everything we wanted/needed - shoes, medicine, food, drink. Whatever your question, if they don't know the answer, they will find out. Whatever you want to drink or eat, they will make it - and the food and drinks are amazing!

We visited some of the larger and smaller luxury hotels in Cartagena, and never doubted for a second that we had made the right decision. If you are looking for a truly personalized hotel experience where you will be treated like a king/queen, then the Hotel LM is for you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shannonbyrne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed in this hotel on December 9, 2010 and I would recommend you avoid this hotel if you want privacy or an air-conditioned bathroom. The rooms have air conditioning, but the bathrooms do not. My room was located on the ground floor. The bathroom had no ceiling, and was open to the roof. The current city temperature, humidity, and climate are exactly the same in the bathroom, and if you area familiar with Cartagena weather, you understand that means hot and humid. In addition, when standing at the sink, you can see a window connected to another guest room on the second floor which left me with a creepy feeling that a guest in this room could see me when I was in the bathroom, in addition to anyone on the roof top that wanted to peer down into the bathroom atrium. Another dismal feature of the room is that the view from the single window in my first floor room was the lobby and pool area which allowed anyone in these common areas of the hotel to peer into my room if the shades are not drawn. The room had no desk, and contained a dozen unlabeled electric switches which made it difficult to operate the lights, electric shade, etc., without an inconvenient trial and error process. Please do not interpret the characterization of “luxury boutique hotel” to mean comfortable or private. This is a place that tries hard to create a certain image of luxury, but for practical purposes is uncomfortable and creepy.

My girlfriend and I check out after one night. We relocated to a hotel on the beach with a beautiful and fun pool area, nice rooms, and fun environment. I pity people that are fooled into staying at LM by its claim of “luxury.”

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank OrlandoTraveler32814
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

When we were looking for a hotel in Cartagena it came down to the Hotel LM and Agua as we wanted a smaller, boutique experience. Because Agua had received some less than stellar reviews lately we chose to stay at the Hotel LM.

Granted the hotel was not full so maybe the service was extra special but we were completely blown away. The room was great, very comfortable with full A/C, beautiful bathroom and ours was #6 which is sufficiently far away from the street/lobby so as to be very quiet.

Everytime we needed something it appeared. Breakfasts were amazing and the room was cleaned/tidied three times a day. Carlos and Javier were always making our stay more pleasant. The concierge staff were also very helpful.

Of note: we went to the Totumo Volcano and the hotel arranged a car for us to take us there, stay and drive us back for $130USD. Remember to bring money with you for tips and your passport or you will be stopped by the police!

One thing we were told was that Agua does not do boat trips unless you stay overnight at their hotel on Baru. We went and asked and were surprised to find that Agua did provide these trips and we were taken on a private boat to Baru for the day with a trip to a small beach for about $350 for 2 people (lunch not included). This was the best part of our stay and the Agua staff were absolutely excellent in helping us. The Hotel LM only offers private boats for either $1000USD or $3000USD for one day!!!!!

Overall we loved the hotel. Only downside? I didn't love the products (shampoo etc). Otherwise great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon for 6 days in January 2010 and overall I would say this is a fantastic boutique hotel and well worth the money.

I would recomend it for the following reasons:

Great Location inside the old city walls

Fantastic roof terrace for sunbathing or having lunch on - It wasn't that clear on the website but the pool on the roof is basically an enlarged jacuzzi that is great for cooling down in but not for doing lenghts in, if that's your thing. There is also a pool on the ground floor but to me it seems a bit odd having a swim by reception

Food - Breakfast is served in the lovely front dining room and is made to order including the fresh fruit juice (ask for the passion fruit juice). The kitchen is set up like a great kitchen at home that you can walk into and ask for basically anything that's available within reason. We didn't do it but another couple staying at the same time had a cooking lesson with the chef.

Service - Excellent throughout our stay. The staff also recommended and booked for us some great local restaurants

What a Bathroom! - we stayed in the suite on the groundfloor and apart from the palm tree growing in the bathroom, the large central jacuzzi bath and its own waterfall it was nothing that special!

Great room - nice size, very comfy bed, and immaculately kept

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Avinagoodtime
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband and I were invited to a destination wedding in Cartagena. we had never been there before, so we researched a lot, and decided on the LM boutique hotel. What a great choice! We stayed for six delghtful days.
Since our retirement, we have travelled frequently, staying in very fine places. My husband is very particular as he holds a degree in hotel management and had worked in Manhattan's best.hotels..The LM succeeded in every way.

Starting with our phone and e-mail communications with Javier M., we could tell that the staff would be great, and they certainly were. We were picked up at the airport (transfers and breakfasts are included in the rate) in a clean, cooled car and taken to the Hotel. We were warmly welcomed, and served a fresh lemonade.

We asked about where my husband could purchase a guayabera (white linen shirt) for the wedding. One of the employees, Bolivar offered to assist us. He accompanied us to several shops waited while my husband tried on the shirts, and advised us until we found the perfect one at a good price. (Kolora Boutique) LM hotel is wonderfully located. we were able to walk to all the important cites, and good for local shopping. we bought lovely gifts at the Boutique Artesanal Zenu on Calle Santos de Piedra nearby.

the staff helped us in many ways...all their recommendations were always outstanding. they booked a private tour for us. our driver and guide, Nicodemes, gave us a complete and educational excursion. the manicurist and hairdresser, Joanna came to the hotel two times to prepare me for the parties. beautiful work.
the massage therapist, Keilee was very well trained and gave an expert massage. I booked her a second time. the rooftop terrace is beautiful with a great jacuzzi and luxurious seating. the massage area is located there, with plenty of privacy...an experience in itself.

our breakfast were the best. we enjoyed the most delicious juices, fresh fruit plates, arepas, eggs, pancakes and more, served to us in the chic dining room. we were proud to invite some of our cousins to dine with us there. they were really impressed. we could go to the charming open kitchen at any time to order lunch or dinner...made to order with the freshest ingredients...we had the best fish and seafood soup ever! we ordered it on three separate occasions. indescribably delicious.
The chefs, Andres and Javier are experts,accomodating and pleasant, as were the rest of the staff, two more named Javier served us well. One sang every morning in the kitchen, starting the day with cheer.

Our room was perfect. The bed was very comfortable. the linens a delight.
we slept perfectly every night. there was no noise at all. the closet space was very ample...the air conditioning and lighting were easily adjusted and added to our comfort. The shower was a pleasure, and bathroom very spacious with plenty of towels and toiletries. the maid kept our room immaculate, cleaning twice a day,and was available for any other need.

we recommend the LM for anyone travelling to Cartagena. you get your money's worth many times over. thanks to the entire staff for the kind and competent service we received. we will never forget this experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank astoriabell
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I can't have words to describe mi expirience at HOTEL LM.
It was mi first visit to Colombia.
Coming fron Germany, i consulted the Trip Advisor as I alwais do. I Went to visit the first two named hotels on the site, the Veranero and the Carretero.
What a desapointement!!!! Poor and extremly bad hotels, if one can call those things, hotels.
I went to the German Consulat that gived me three choices; The Arzobispado, The Delirio and The LM. i visited all of them and tried to have a drink in that hot friday, not only to visit the hotels but, and mainly to feel the anbience.
The only hotel that received me gently and that actually offerd me something to drink, apart of a small humid and cold towel, for me to cool off, was the LM.
After visiting the hotel i wanted to stay, but unfortunatly it was sold out. At the reception they here very kind, took my data, escorted me to the Arzobispado and promissed to contact me if any no show woul hapen.
Next morning after an early morning, the Arzobispado it´s located in a very noisy street, i strolled by LM anda was lucky for the very first time in my trip, for a junior suite was available.
An LM porter, a black nativo, very kind and educated, went with me to the other hotel to fetch mi things and i had a second very fine breakfest at the LM, cortesy of the reception cleark, while they where preparing mi room.
Things went wonderfull during all weekend. By Monday i had to close mi contract and asked for a lunch for my guests and colegues. As they are Colombians and Italians, i discusted with the Chef the possible menu. at the end, there where too Chefs, one that studied in the U.S. and a Cartagenean one.
Among the too of them they prepared without almost any notice, 2 hours, a lunch for 14 pearsons, with a menu, assembled among tipical food from Cartagena and an Italian delicatessen, a pasta with cury and shell-fisch, all served with Italian wines, a soft music and a fantastic staff.
In the afternoon I CLOSED THE CONTRACT!!!!!
My stay in LM is for ever in my memory as one of my best achivements and moments.
I was able to join pleasur and business in a selected atmosfere, a very excelent ambience and a luxuries service.
At last, I have to declare that from these trip on I will not trust the Trip Advisor ani more, for the first hotels mentioned are so bad, that they should not even qualify to be mentioned close or on the same page, as the Arzobispado and the LM.
Thank God I had a friend that recommended me the right hotels!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

This hotel lived up to everything that other reviewers had written about it. It has a great location in the ciudad vieja and has a great location. The rooms are well appointed and very clean. The highlights of the hotel are the staff and the roof top deck. The staff treated us like guests in their home and we could ask for anything at any time and they would do their best to meet our needs. They are friendly and accomodating. The roof top deck at the hotel is the perfect place to relax and cool down after the heat of the day and has an ambiance that is romantic and a great place to spend time with friends and significant others. It has a great location to walk the old city and it is only a 15 minute walk to Boca Grande, even though it is not worth the trip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple