“No value for money”

Ranked #90 of 152 Hotels in Cartagena
San Salvador, El Salvador
“No value for money”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is NOT a boutique hotel. Poor service; no management; rooms look better on website than they are: dark and smaller. No amenities. Breakfast poor. Outside the room no aircoseat available. Personnel has no idea about what service is.
Don´t go there. In Antigua, Guatemala these hotels cost half the price and much better service. They still has to learn a lot however I think they don´t learn.

The massage is also to expensive for what it is. Unorganized.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kortjakje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
NJ
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The hotel is really lovely and the pool is nice. And the location is ideal. We enjoyed the breakfast. too Everyone in the hotel (and the city, for that matter) was quite nice and eager to be helpful, including the front desk manager/concierge, but the concierge/manager was just inexperienced and didn't seem to know the city that well.

We asked for suggestions for a nearby bar and were met with blank stares. Likewise, requests for printing out our boarding passes, calling us a cab, and arranging for an English speaking guide to the castle--all were tasks that we ended up having to figure out on our own.

That said, if you speak Spanish well enough and don't need any concierge help, hotel is lovely place to stay.

One tip for light sleepers: don't get a room that faces the main courtyard. A beautiful toucan in a cage in the main court yard adds to the charm when you enter the hotel, but the bird's squawking woke my husband up at 5 am a few mornings.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
Reviewed April 3, 2010

ftrom all the boutiques hotels in old town CArtagena we found this one the best, nice combination of the old and new, beautiful place, very quite, and the service was the best.

we will be back we loved the place!!!!! next time we will try the spa and swimming pool.....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Rapid City, SD
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The photos of this place hardly do it justice. Truly a gem of a hotel! When we arrived we were given a welcome cocktail. Then, once in our room, we had a delightful plate of Colombian cookies and candies. The pool was very nice and private, we took a dip after walking around town, as it was very hot and humid in Cartagena. To get into the hotel, you must use a huge old door knocker that is on the door to the courtyard. It was just like something you'd see out of a movie... It's the little things, but I found it very quaint and charming. The staff doesn't speak much English, so we did run into a small issue with our laundry... I think as much our fault as theirs because of the language barrier. Also, our last night there a wedding reception took place next door. People in Colombia celebrate weddings until the wee hours. I think the music didn't stop until 3:00 am. That left a mark. I suppose if you really need your beauty rest, you might want to stay here on a week-night as opposed to the weekend. Over all, if I'd known about the noise from next door prior to booking, I think I'd still book here. The location was fabulous, the rooms were exceptional and the service was impeccable! - While you're there, I highly reccomend taking a carriage ride ( the full tour of the entire city of Cartagena was about $25 US dollars), we saw so much of this beautiful city that way and it was a lovely experience. Nightlife in Cartagena starts around 11:00 so if you're into going to the discos, you'll want to plan accordingly.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My wife and I are going to Cartagena in two weeks for a wedding. We booked a room at this hotel over 4 months ago. When I called to confirm our reservatio, I was informed that my reservation had been cancelled and that they did not have my telephone number to call me and let me know. However, they did have my e-mail address but apparently chose not to use it. They offered to put us up at another nearby boutique hotel. However, the website pictures of the other hotel would rate it half a star under US standards. I have asked to speak to the hotel manager, but it has been two days and no call back.

Apparently, this seems to be an habitual act by this hotel based on the prior comments. I will be reporting this hotel to the Colombia, Bolivar Department, and Cartagena Ministry of Tourism as well as the equivalent of the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ncarter_9
london
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Knowing that Cartagena is a popular destination to spend christmas holidays, I decided to book in advance to make sure I will avoid headaches and stress looking for acommodation.

Therefore I booked four nights at this hotel one month prior to my stay, afterwards I received the confirmation booking email, with booking number and severals emails in order to plan our itinerary during our stay in this beautiful city.

What a surprise we had.... when two days before flying to Colombia I received and email from the sales manager letting me know that they had made a mistake with the bookings, therefore I did not have a place where to stay any longer. Could you believe it?

That is what is called terrible timing for bad news, They think that sending an email is enough apology for ruining someone else holidays.

I don't want anyone else to live this nightmare during your holidays, that is why I highly recommend to seriously stay in another hotel.

That is disrespectful to the guest.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lilifernandez
San Diego
Reviewed June 1, 2009

As the doors open, a little paradise appears in the middle of downtown Cartagena, Colombia. Remember the movie, 'Romancing the Stone'? Well, this is an emerald of a city, and this has got to be an oasis, an ever-smiling and warm staff, and a true retreat. Thank you for all the ammenities and the ever present details. I rarely rave, less alone leave comments about a hotel, but this stay is worth the rant. Do ask for their local breakfast faves like arepas and carimanolas, petite corn delicacies....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple