“Be careful, they could ruin your holidays”

El Marques Hotel Boutique
Ranked #89 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
london
“Be careful, they could ruin your holidays”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

Knowing that Cartagena is a popular destination to spend christmas holidays, I decided to book in advance to make sure I will avoid headaches and stress looking for acommodation.

Therefore I booked four nights at this hotel one month prior to my stay, afterwards I received the confirmation booking email, with booking number and severals emails in order to plan our itinerary during our stay in this beautiful city.

What a surprise we had.... when two days before flying to Colombia I received and email from the sales manager letting me know that they had made a mistake with the bookings, therefore I did not have a place where to stay any longer. Could you believe it?

That is what is called terrible timing for bad news, They think that sending an email is enough apology for ruining someone else holidays.

I don't want anyone else to live this nightmare during your holidays, that is why I highly recommend to seriously stay in another hotel.

That is disrespectful to the guest.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lilifernandez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

As the doors open, a little paradise appears in the middle of downtown Cartagena, Colombia. Remember the movie, 'Romancing the Stone'? Well, this is an emerald of a city, and this has got to be an oasis, an ever-smiling and warm staff, and a true retreat. Thank you for all the ammenities and the ever present details. I rarely rave, less alone leave comments about a hotel, but this stay is worth the rant. Do ask for their local breakfast faves like arepas and carimanolas, petite corn delicacies....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJCali1
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

We just stopped in for coffee in the large courtyard of this lovely small hotel and toured of several of the eight guest rooms while we were there. The building is several centuries old but the guest rooms are large and completely contemporary with the latest in trendy fixtures and design. The second floor parlor, overlooking the street, has a grand piano and an antique but non-functional pipe organ. A chatty waiter with a barely comprehensible rural accent sold us on some tasty appetizers, showed us their subterranean wine cellar & personal dining room, arranged for us to tour the guest rooms, and hustled us out of about five dollars but was so entertaining we did not protest. The courtyard and pool were lovely. We sipped coffee next to a toucan in a giant cage.

Great location in the old city.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank inDC_USA
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

When I decided to go to Cartagena I search for a boutique hotel. First mistake, since nowadays seams like in many places they think that a small hotel is necesaraley a "boutique" hotel.
I reserved the best accomodation, a very expensive suite for colombian standars, but I thought it was worth it from what i saw on the webpage. It was very promising. Second mistake.
The location and the old house with patio are perfect, but what they dont tell you is that nextdoors there is a hotel that hosts outdoors parties on weekends, therefore you can´t even think on sleeping before the party is over.
The interior design is unimaginative. Breakfast is very poor and pretentious.
The staff is very nice but none of them can make any decition. Small hotel and no manager on site to manage.
Needless to say that when on the second day I saw a second party coming next door I run away (after having to pay that night that I was not staying, late check out.....)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank desdebaires
orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2008

I have just returned from a week at the Marques boutique. The hotel is magnificent and I have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag myself away from the hotel to go to the beach and all the beautiful things that Cartagena- Colombia has to offer.
The pool is lovely,Restaurants are great.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — everything was perfect
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank caro79orlando