“Stay here only if you would rather be in Florida”

Hotel San Martin Cartagena
Ranked #22 of 156 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, we booked 5 nights here but left after only one. The staff are friendly enough and the rooms are large and generally clean. However, there was mould in the bathroom and the AC smelt strongly of mould. People with asthma or allergies should stay elsewhere. Our room had a window only onto the corridor so we felt as if we were in the basement. Despite this the room was noisy. The staff did promise to try to find another room, but by then we had decided to leave, primarily because of the location.

Bocagrande made us feel as though we were at the beaches near Orlando, Florida far more than in Colombia. If you only want chain restaurants, modern shops, bars and night life, this may suit you. However, if you came to see the old city, this is not the place to stay. The old city is at least a 30 minute walk away, but you must walk alongside a very busy road and smell petrol fumes much more than the sea (while continually fending off peddlers). We found a nicer hotel right in the old city for not much more money. The charm of the old city is well worth the extra money.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank JAM2012

Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I ended up staying at Hotel San Martin after staying in a recommended hotel for a night. It was a good choice. The hotel is clean, all employees were very attentive to our every need, central to all attractions and a safe area for walking too. You can choose a room with a meal plan or one without. If you are looking for a nice, clean hotel that is reasonably priced, this is the hotel for you. It is in the Bocagrande neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank freespirittraveler07
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed 2 nights in Hotel San Martin in Bocagrande then went to the old city to a hotel of similar quality. In both there was Wifi, hot water, nice tiled bathrooms with glass showers, AC, TV, and hot breakfast. I paid my bill at San Martin then was shocked to see the hotel bill in the walled city - it was exactly twice the price.

If you really want to spend most of your time in the old city, a cab ride of 3 dollars or a walk of 15 minutes will get you there. Personally, I enjoyed the beaches and long bike/walkway around the peninsula. There is lots of shopping for great colombian fashions as well.
It's TOTALLY safe and the walkway has charming lights and security guards every block for evening strolls. It has a distinctive COLOMBIAN feel rather than the TOURIST feel of the old city.

I've read many websites dismissing Bocagrande as destination of interest but I'm glad I went to see for myself. On my next trip - I'll be staying at Hotel San Martin in Bocagrande.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Maria-Enrique
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Big spacious rooms, enormous and very comfortable bed. But, no warm water for our stay was a tad disappointing.
Hotel seemed to be popular with young groups, so in the morning and evenings could be a bit noisey, but very quiet at night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob J
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Just stayed here for 4 nights, from April 30th to May 4th. My dad and I had a double room, which was very spacious, complete with 2 LARGE beds, a table with 2 chairs, a flatscreen tv, and well-stocked mini-fridge. Bathrooms were extremely clean, and water pressure was very good (though, as is usually the case on the Colombian coast, there was no hot water.) The hotel had wifi, as well as an internet-ready computer in the lobby available for guest use.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it was really the service that set this hotel apart. The staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable about the area and always willing to be of assistance in any way they could. They booked tours for us and arranged my transportation back to Barranquilla (where I currently live.) When my father asked about typical Colombian liquor, he was even treated to free shots of Ron Medellin and Aguardiente by the bartender!

The location was good, barely 2 blocks from the beach and an easy cab ride to the old town. I was also happy to have a Crepes & Waffles (one of my favorite restaurants and ice cream parlors) right across the street.

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank MariLovesBooks
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I spent 4 nights here with my infant son while searching for an apartment for an extended stay. To save money I got a single room, which had a queen size bed and a desk and tv with an adjoining bathroom. There wasn't much room to move around and the window looked out onto the outside passageway of the hotel, so remained curtained off most of the time for privacy. That said, it was clean with good a/c and free wifi, but I would take a double room for the extra space next time. The staff was absolutely wonderful and the location is very convenient to the beach, restaurants and shops in Bocogrande and a quick taxi ride to the old city. Breakfast is included which was good, but nothing wonderful. There are some real dives out there for more money so this was a great value.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mishaAtlanta
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I was unsure what to expect when arriving at this hotel as all the hotels in Cartagena seem lovely in photos on the internet and this hotel was very reasonably priced for its location. (We paid $176,000 pesos for a triple room, including buffet breakfast) However, we were quick to realise that this hotel was everything it claimed to be and more. A lovely change from the high rises all over Bocagrande, it is laid out over only one floor, nice and cool within and beautifully decorated. The rooms were very spacious with nice bathrooms, flat screen television with cable, minibar with very cheap prices ($2800 pesos for a beer) and powerful airconditioning which you can adjust to suit you. The best thing for us was the staff who were very helpful and so friendly. They gave us the latest check-out they could manage as our flight left late at night, kept our bags behind the desk until 9pm. We kept our valuables in the safe at reception and had no problems with that. The receptionist booked us a trip to the Islas Rosario with a discount unmatched by any other operator that we found in Cartagena. Even the touts by the docks acknowleged they couldn't beat it! Perhaps the only thing that would have made it better is having hot water, as we arrived in the rainy season and it wasn't really sunny at all. A good trick, though, that the receptionist mentioned is that at 12pm the water does in fact come out warm!
All in all, it was the best part of our holiday and I am thankful for the other reviewer here for recommending it, as that was the reason we finally chose this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank arepitaplayita