“nice hotel”

Ranked #15 of 89 Hotels in Cali
Lima, Peru
“nice hotel”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. The owner is a very charming man, he speaks many languages and he is always checking that everything is going well. I went to Cali for a course with a couple of co-workers, so the hotel reserved us a separated part in the hotel with the number of rooms we needed, we really did not asked for it but since they found out we were a group, they did it and it was a good surprise. Though I saw many families with small children, I never heard any type of noise. Everything was very cleaned and what I liked the best is that the rooms adjust to the guests. I say this because the first day it was very hot and there was an air conditioner equipment which I used so I could be able to sleep comfortably. The next day the temperature wasn't so high so I didn't use the air but the last days it was cold for me (Cali's weather is hot but I can feel cold even in the jungle) and there were extra blankets in the closet that I used to cover myself. Therefore, no matter the weather, I had a good night sleep everyday. Also, the breakfast was very good and I had dinner once there and it was definitely one of the best meals I had in Cali, I regretted not having eaten there the days before.
I think this hotel would be a great place to go with your family if you have children because the owner cares a lot for them. In the dinning room there are tall chairs for them and he encourages families to have their kids play in the entrance, which keeps them occupied and believed or not, calmed.
On the other hand, while we did find a pool and a mini gym, they weren't in their best conditions. Though I have to say we only checked them the first day, so the people from the hotel might have resolved these issues some days later.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Maria del Carme... D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This is not a luxury place, it may not be a standard, modern hotel, but it is pleasant, clean, quiet, well-located and the price is very good. It is visited by foreigners, especially families adopting colombian children, and young, middle-class local families. The building is full of character, service is good and very friendly. There is a small, nice, deep pool. Breakfast is decent. The location is great and security is very good for Cali, a city that has been going through some rough times recently.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank JuanCarlosValencia
Redondo Beach, California, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I met friends in Cali and stayed here for 5 nights. We are one of the sets of friends who met James M. back in Sept. 2013 and I agree with his review of Pension Stein 100%!
Situated on a hill behind high walls and a guard gate, Pension Stein is a little slice of heaven in a relatively residential neighborhood. It's an old mansion that was turned into a hotel many many years ago. The owner takes great pride in his establishment and is there to answer questions, suggest places to eat, and if you want to practice Spanish, he is more than happy to engage in conversation with you. There are hidden terraces throughout the property where one can read, have a glass of wine or better yet, both! We had a lovely time here and if we find ourselves in Cali again, this will be where we stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Samantha R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure to stayed at Hotel Pension Stein and I'm planning to repeat my experience this time with my husband. The place is fresh, spotless and tranquil. The service is friendly and location is great.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AccentElla
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2013

A rambling mansion, converted into a hotel over 50 years ago, the Pension Stein was a comfortable place to stay in Cali. Staff were helpful, our room was very clean and cosy, breakfast was a fairly standard juice, coffee, eggs and bread, and there was a small pool to cool off in. Rooms vary in size and configuration and when we requested a different room with more light the hotel staff very quickly accommodated us.

A short walk away was a huge shopping complex and many restaurants. A cheap cab ride away was the historic downtown section or, heading south, the excellent Zoological Park which we recommend.

We enjoyed our stay at the Pension Stein and recommend this "oasis" in Cali to others.

Room Tip: It is a good idea to check to see if the room you are offered meets your specific needs. If it does...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElderTrekkers
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I am surprised to read any bad reviews on the Pension Stein. If you are looking for a standardized hotel like the InterContinental (a hotel that looks the same no matter where you are in the world) this is not it. If you are looking for an interesting place to stay that is beautiful, tranquil and warm this is it. I was first here two weeks ago for a week with two sets of friends joining with rooms and we all loved it, we even book additional days. Today I am back for another week. The hotel is very clean and the staff is great. The hotel is in a very safe and good area of the city, with big walls and 24 hr guarded gate. The owner is onsite and is a world class gentleman, helpful and understands service, which is not something that is found often in Colombia

Room Tip: I have my favorite room but I would never tell as I plan to stay here often!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank James M
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Feb 2013, for 3 days and loved every minute of it. The room was clean, the linens were fresh. The staff was great and they made sure we had a fantastic stay. We spend every afternoon at the cozy pool enjoying the sunshine. This hotel has been a part of our family since the 1980's and my father was proud that I had the same wonderful service that he had then. Gracias Enrique and staff!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple