“A gem of a hotel”

Hotel Stein Colonial
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Cali
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I met friends in Cali and stayed here for 5 nights. We are one of the sets of friends who met James M. back in Sept. 2013 and I agree with his review of Pension Stein 100%!
Situated on a hill behind high walls and a guard gate, Pension Stein is a little slice of heaven in a relatively residential neighborhood. It's an old mansion that was turned into a hotel many many years ago. The owner takes great pride in his establishment and is there to answer questions, suggest places to eat, and if you want to practice Spanish, he is more than happy to engage in conversation with you. There are hidden terraces throughout the property where one can read, have a glass of wine or better yet, both! We had a lovely time here and if we find ourselves in Cali again, this will be where we stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Samantha R

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had the pleasure to stayed at Hotel Pension Stein and I'm planning to repeat my experience this time with my husband. The place is fresh, spotless and tranquil. The service is friendly and location is great.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank AccentElla
Reviewed November 8, 2013

A rambling mansion, converted into a hotel over 50 years ago, the Pension Stein was a comfortable place to stay in Cali. Staff were helpful, our room was very clean and cosy, breakfast was a fairly standard juice, coffee, eggs and bread, and there was a small pool to cool off in. Rooms vary in size and configuration and when we requested a different room with more light the hotel staff very quickly accommodated us.

A short walk away was a huge shopping complex and many restaurants. A cheap cab ride away was the historic downtown section or, heading south, the excellent Zoological Park which we recommend.

We enjoyed our stay at the Pension Stein and recommend this "oasis" in Cali to others.

Room Tip: It is a good idea to check to see if the room you are offered meets your specific needs. If it does...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElderTrekkers
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I am surprised to read any bad reviews on the Pension Stein. If you are looking for a standardized hotel like the InterContinental (a hotel that looks the same no matter where you are in the world) this is not it. If you are looking for an interesting place to stay that is beautiful, tranquil and warm this is it. I was first here two weeks ago for a week with two sets of friends joining with rooms and we all loved it, we even book additional days. Today I am back for another week. The hotel is very clean and the staff is great. The hotel is in a very safe and good area of the city, with big walls and 24 hr guarded gate. The owner is onsite and is a world class gentleman, helpful and understands service, which is not something that is found often in Colombia

Room Tip: I have my favorite room but I would never tell as I plan to stay here often!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank James M
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Feb 2013, for 3 days and loved every minute of it. The room was clean, the linens were fresh. The staff was great and they made sure we had a fantastic stay. We spend every afternoon at the cozy pool enjoying the sunshine. This hotel has been a part of our family since the 1980's and my father was proud that I had the same wonderful service that he had then. Gracias Enrique and staff!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie T
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have never written a review for TripAdvisor,but I often use it when booking hotels. I wanted to write this because I think these reviews are very misleading. This place was very disappointing, and not worth the money. You are better off at the Intercontinental, which is nearby and MUCH nicer. The linens do not appear very clean. The staff is not very helpful overall. If you speak Spanish, they are a bit more helpful, but otherwise you are on your own. They did not help to arrange any type of tour or sightseeing. We actually walked into other hotels and their front desks were able to help us find things to do. Also, the front desk was supposed to be open from 630 until 10pm, but there were many periods with no one to be found. The pictures are very misleading. The pool was dirty and the exercise equipment (2pieces) were old and rusty. If the hotel was cheaper,I could understand the reviews. But for the prices they are charging you can get a much better place to stay in Cali

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Avidtraveler916
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked at this hotel months and months ahead for Christmas holidays and for a supposed nice room with two double beds as is shown in their ad. And when we got there it was a room with a low ceiling and a fan practically at head height with a queen bed and a small child’s bed tucked away in a tiny cube hole. When asked to be moved and get what we had booked they had no other vacancies, and it was the same old story “sorry, we can’t give you your money back because we hadn’t booked through them directly”. And so they proceeded to show us other rooms and they got smaller and smaller up some hidden stairways. This place is like a remodel after remodel to make more dough at every inch. Pretty strange place, I guess you got to know the owner to get the nice rooms in the pictures. And it looked like they put us in some low quarters and no view just a though fare of people going past your window all night!

Room Tip: Lucky if you get one in the pictures!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends