“Business Trip To Cali”
Review of Cali Plaza Hotel

Cali Plaza Hotel
Ranked #44 of 92 Hotels in Cali
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After reading many reviews, I chose Cali Plaza because of it's convenient location near my customers. I think the previous reviewer was not familiar with the area. I found many fine restaurants within walking distance. The staff was great. I had no problems with the hotel or service. I will use Cali Plaza on my next trip. The restaurant in the Hotel serves daily Lunch Specials for 8,000 pesos. Mostly Seafood. 10 minutes to Terminal de Transporte (bus terminal).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JuanBuga L

Reviewed June 11, 2012

To be honest, I only stay there one night 2 full days,,,, OK I start of with the good, The owner of this hotel is an American Claude, I got to meet him, nice guy bu tjust made a brief apperance when i was there which was fine, Location was great near all the discos clsose to mall, hooters ( yes I am a gringo hunter) no internet but there a internet cafe that cost next to nothing to use a few seconds walk. The room I had was simple but no window,I ended up sleeping till noon the next day I am not sure if I was tired or confuse with no window as I never down it beore. had a safe in room,,, the bad shower did not work well,,, water got all on floor. As some else pointed out is a one man show Claude has one young kid at the desk work not speaking a word of english the kid at night did not know who i was and kept askin to see my credit card untill i told him to call claud,,, if you need some thing at the desk you better hope claude or the taxi driver Geroge (speak perfect english) is around other wise dont expect much,the people who work there are not hotel trained. Again this plaace is fequnt by single gringo men so you see lots of girls around the tabels out side the hotel.......For the single gringo who wants a god time and can speak spanish some what well, want save a few dollars and be where the action is PERFECT if thats not you DONT TAY HERE>

Room Tip: tr to ask for a window
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank larry m
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Ok for the weekend warrior, not for business, neighborhood has seen better days, not a decent restaurant in some blocks, several disco that will keep you awake at night. It's a one man show, the concierge, front desk, customer service, ..... if you can find him. No restaurant on premises. The room was ok, not great, no windows, could be better for the price $73, what seems to be some kind of black market, no receipts, no invoices, you pay through Paypal. Smell of some guests doing drugs the whole night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Beatrix384
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I had a very comfortable stay here in a one bedroom suite with a decent sized well equipped kitchen. Staff were friendly and helpful. It's close to places to eat and drink. The only negative point would be that the area it's in is, la sexta, which is now is the old zona rosa (that doesn't mean red light district, just means going out area). The lively places for salsa are now in Menga and Juanchito.

Room Tip: Get one near the back as their is a bar opposite that can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Cali Plaza Hotel; I can describe with one word GREAT. I have used Cali Plaza three times within one year as my hotel of choice to explore the city of Cali,Colombia. The hotel is located in the entertainment district of Cali. Cali Plaza is also near the developing ninth avenue restaurant and shopping area.Cali Plaza Hotel rooms are clean and the showers are hot. Cali Plaza staff is outstanding, from the moment you arrive to your departure they are very helpful. Cali Plaza has 24 hour security and the entrance is gated. The lobby has a seating area to allow you to enjoy that cool night air coming through the gated front entrance; excellent touch Claude.

Cali Plaza Hotel is located in the entertainment district, so you have plenty of disco’s and restaurants within walking distance from Cali Plaza. The area surrounding Cali Plaza is safe for a walking during the day but with any city you may visit use caution at night. Cali Plaza is located across the street from a bar and disco and you will hear the music in the hotel, but I enjoyed settling in for a nights sleep listening to the sound of salsa music. This may be a problem for some people.

I recommend Cali Plaza hotel for it’s location to entertainment; restaurants; area shopping and the staff outstanding service. Cali Plaza Hotel will be my hotel of choice for future visits to Cali,Colombia.

Daniel S /United States/Maryland

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Cali Plaza Hotel in short:

- very very clean;
- relaxed atmosphere;
- professional, friendly and helpful staff;
- spacious room (one bedroom aparta suite);
- excellent value for price;
- friendly hotel manager;
- perfect location;
- good air-conditioning;
- room cleaned daily;
- safe hotel;
- free stable WIFI internet connection.

First time in Colombia we stayed at the Cali Plaza Hotel for a week. We decided to go for this hotel mainly because of the good reviews i found on the web. We were looking for a place close to the city centre and near restaurants and bars. As this was my first trip to Colombia i also focussed on the safety of the neighborhood.

I first contacted the manager to check for availability. He speaks english and we talked about my travel plans. He also gave me some advice on how to best get there from Cali Airport. We arrived at the hotel past midnight, check-in went smooth. As we were tired and hungry hotel staff arranged for a (good) meal from a local restaurant. I didn't have pesos with me at that time, but that wasn't a problem as hotel staff helped out.

We stayed in a one-bedroom aparta suite room 303. We found our room to be very clean. All appliances you'll need for a convenient stay are there. I would describe our room as clean and spacious in (maybe) a traditional Colombian style. There's a safe in the room. The bed was very comfortable and we did get good sleep with little noise from everything that's happening outside. The room is fully air-conditioned, with an air-conditioner in the living-room and one in the bedroom. It gets very cold if you turn them both on. Internet access was good through a WIFI access point.

The hotel is located right in the centre of a great part of Cali. Some excellent restaurants and bars within walking distance. I liked the panaderia across the street where we grabbed our breakfast every morning, good food for extremely good prices. You can easily walk to the city centre from the hotel, or just grab a cab. Hotel staff will call you a cab. Not far from the hotel you'll find a Centro Commercial called Chipichape, when in Cali you should check it out. Some nice (fast food) restaurants there like Lenos & Carbon. There is also a movie theatre and you can do some good shopping there.

The hotel is also very close to one of the main attractions of Cali, Cerro Tres Cruses. We packed a camera and water and walk from the hotel to the foot of the mountain. From there we headed uphill which was a pretty challenging climb. Afterwards we climbed back down and walked back to the hotel. Back at the hotel we found our room to be spink and span clean. Our room was cleaned every day.

The hotel is situated in a busy neighborhood and i think you will get a pretty good idea of how the people live in Cali, by talking to people and walking to the city centre. This may not be for everyone, but i like to get a feel for the city i'm visiting. I found the hotel to be an excellent 'home'-base, from where you can explore the city, or just stay close to the hotel and have a drink across the street. When in your room (303) you will get some music from the bar close to the hotel when you are sitting in the living room. Personally i like the music they were playing. Even opened the window to catch some of the 'vibe' going on outside. If you want to relax though, you can. Especially in the bedroom.

This place is a must-stay when in Cali. We will definitely book a room at this hotel when we return to Cali.

Getting around:
If your Spanish is a bit rusty i recommend calling a taxi-driver named Jorge. Jorge speaks English fluently (he used to live in the States) and knows the city. We have asked Jorge to drive us to several good restaurants, and we also asked him to bring us to the airport when we continued to Bogota. Jorge is a friendly gentleman, drives a good taxi with air-conditioner. He's a patient individual and will function as a 'city-guide' if needed. He knows the city, the do's and don'ts, good restaurants, clubs you should not miss, sight seeing etc. When in Cali i think you should at least call this guy and ask him for some advice on where to eat or go. If you ask him to pick you up and go somewhere, you will find him to be very punctual. Always on time. Ask the hotel manager for his phone number. There are very little cabdrivers that speak or understand english.

About Cali:
I found Cali to be very accessible. I expected Cali to be a very dangerous city, but i did not find myself in any dangerous situations, not once. We have walked through several areas of the city and felt relaxed. You should off course always be cautious, that goes for all large cities around the world. The people that live in this great city are very friendly. If you want to have a great night out head out to Juanchito or stick closer to the hotel and head to Menga where Salsa and Bachata are on the menu.

Room Tip: Definitely consider the one-bedroom aparta suite, excellent value for money. Apartment 303 has a liv...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DieterSandy
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed in Cali for 2 weeks in November 2011, I had spent a bit of time looking at different hotels but decided on the Cali Plaza. I have stayed in many hotels in Europe and the USA and I like to see what people say about a place. Reviews rated the Cali Plaza highly and I'm all for supporting word of mouth businesses. I emailed the hotel checking rates and received a reply very quickly, the rates were fantastic for what I wanted with a special offer included, I chose the one bed aparta-suite. I had to change my travel dates a short time before I was due to arrive and this was accommodated with no problem, AND the special offer price still applied. I was delayed by a day (where else but CDG, France) on my way to Colombia, again with very little notice I mailed the hotel about my delay, Again, no problems. On arrival I was checked in smoothly, shown the room and the features, handed the key and left to my own devices. The first thing that struck me was the uniqueness of the room, almost like staying in someone's home: nice furniture, good layout: a separate kitchen, laundry area, bathroom living room and bedroom with a decent airy size. I didn't feel cramped. The suite was very clean and was kept impeccable throughout my stay be the very friendly and helpful staff. The kitchen had everything I needed for cooking, big fridge/freezer, microwave, hob etc. being from Europe and missing my cup of tea, I didn't find a kettle, no matter. The bedroom was clean, bed clothes spotless, sheets were spotless, pillows spotless. Simple but effective closets with a digital safe. Air conditioning was provided by two wall mounted remote controlled AC units, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. These were very good on the hotter days. The hotel itself is quiet, I didn't hear any other guests or loud TV's in other rooms (solid walls). I must mention the staff, The guys and girls working the reception/maintenance are very friendly and helpful, my Spanish was limited but they spoke English when needed which was really helpful. They happily let you in and out and order cabs for you and will also sell you beers (or stronger) from the cooler in the lobby. The only drawback of was not the hotel itself, but rather it's location across the road from El Viejo Barril, a disco bar which likes to pump their music at the loudest volume to the wee hours. Fine if your in a party mood but a bit annoying after a few nights on the beer when your just trying to catch up on sleep, earplugs however did the trick just fine. The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring Avienda Sexta, lots of bars and restaurants within a few mins walk. It being my first time in Colombia, I was a little nervous walking the first few nights up Avienda Sexta, but found the locals get to know your face and extend a raucous welcome (to their bar or restaurant) thereafter. You are also in a good location being a 5 min taxi ride or 10 min walk to Chipi-Chape shopping mall and close to most city attractions. Overall, the Cali Plaza was a find. A smart, well run establishment, clean, safe, friendly and comfortable. I will certainly stay there again when I travel to Cali, it could be considered a home from home and you'll be certainly made feel welcome.

Room Tip: Go for the aparta-suite if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo