“Cali Plaza Hotel...GREAT”

Ranked #38 of 90 Hotels in Cali
Baltimore
“Cali Plaza Hotel...GREAT”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Cali Plaza Hotel; I can describe with one word GREAT. I have used Cali Plaza three times within one year as my hotel of choice to explore the city of Cali,Colombia. The hotel is located in the entertainment district of Cali. Cali Plaza is also near the developing ninth avenue restaurant and shopping area.Cali Plaza Hotel rooms are clean and the showers are hot. Cali Plaza staff is outstanding, from the moment you arrive to your departure they are very helpful. Cali Plaza has 24 hour security and the entrance is gated. The lobby has a seating area to allow you to enjoy that cool night air coming through the gated front entrance; excellent touch Claude.

Cali Plaza Hotel is located in the entertainment district, so you have plenty of disco’s and restaurants within walking distance from Cali Plaza. The area surrounding Cali Plaza is safe for a walking during the day but with any city you may visit use caution at night. Cali Plaza is located across the street from a bar and disco and you will hear the music in the hotel, but I enjoyed settling in for a nights sleep listening to the sound of salsa music. This may be a problem for some people.

I recommend Cali Plaza hotel for it’s location to entertainment; restaurants; area shopping and the staff outstanding service. Cali Plaza Hotel will be my hotel of choice for future visits to Cali,Colombia.

Daniel S /United States/Maryland

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Daniel S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Cali Plaza Hotel in short:

- very very clean;
- relaxed atmosphere;
- professional, friendly and helpful staff;
- spacious room (one bedroom aparta suite);
- excellent value for price;
- friendly hotel manager;
- perfect location;
- good air-conditioning;
- room cleaned daily;
- safe hotel;
- free stable WIFI internet connection.

First time in Colombia we stayed at the Cali Plaza Hotel for a week. We decided to go for this hotel mainly because of the good reviews i found on the web. We were looking for a place close to the city centre and near restaurants and bars. As this was my first trip to Colombia i also focussed on the safety of the neighborhood.

I first contacted the manager to check for availability. He speaks english and we talked about my travel plans. He also gave me some advice on how to best get there from Cali Airport. We arrived at the hotel past midnight, check-in went smooth. As we were tired and hungry hotel staff arranged for a (good) meal from a local restaurant. I didn't have pesos with me at that time, but that wasn't a problem as hotel staff helped out.

We stayed in a one-bedroom aparta suite room 303. We found our room to be very clean. All appliances you'll need for a convenient stay are there. I would describe our room as clean and spacious in (maybe) a traditional Colombian style. There's a safe in the room. The bed was very comfortable and we did get good sleep with little noise from everything that's happening outside. The room is fully air-conditioned, with an air-conditioner in the living-room and one in the bedroom. It gets very cold if you turn them both on. Internet access was good through a WIFI access point.

The hotel is located right in the centre of a great part of Cali. Some excellent restaurants and bars within walking distance. I liked the panaderia across the street where we grabbed our breakfast every morning, good food for extremely good prices. You can easily walk to the city centre from the hotel, or just grab a cab. Hotel staff will call you a cab. Not far from the hotel you'll find a Centro Commercial called Chipichape, when in Cali you should check it out. Some nice (fast food) restaurants there like Lenos & Carbon. There is also a movie theatre and you can do some good shopping there.

The hotel is also very close to one of the main attractions of Cali, Cerro Tres Cruses. We packed a camera and water and walk from the hotel to the foot of the mountain. From there we headed uphill which was a pretty challenging climb. Afterwards we climbed back down and walked back to the hotel. Back at the hotel we found our room to be spink and span clean. Our room was cleaned every day.

The hotel is situated in a busy neighborhood and i think you will get a pretty good idea of how the people live in Cali, by talking to people and walking to the city centre. This may not be for everyone, but i like to get a feel for the city i'm visiting. I found the hotel to be an excellent 'home'-base, from where you can explore the city, or just stay close to the hotel and have a drink across the street. When in your room (303) you will get some music from the bar close to the hotel when you are sitting in the living room. Personally i like the music they were playing. Even opened the window to catch some of the 'vibe' going on outside. If you want to relax though, you can. Especially in the bedroom.

This place is a must-stay when in Cali. We will definitely book a room at this hotel when we return to Cali.

Getting around:
If your Spanish is a bit rusty i recommend calling a taxi-driver named Jorge. Jorge speaks English fluently (he used to live in the States) and knows the city. We have asked Jorge to drive us to several good restaurants, and we also asked him to bring us to the airport when we continued to Bogota. Jorge is a friendly gentleman, drives a good taxi with air-conditioner. He's a patient individual and will function as a 'city-guide' if needed. He knows the city, the do's and don'ts, good restaurants, clubs you should not miss, sight seeing etc. When in Cali i think you should at least call this guy and ask him for some advice on where to eat or go. If you ask him to pick you up and go somewhere, you will find him to be very punctual. Always on time. Ask the hotel manager for his phone number. There are very little cabdrivers that speak or understand english.

About Cali:
I found Cali to be very accessible. I expected Cali to be a very dangerous city, but i did not find myself in any dangerous situations, not once. We have walked through several areas of the city and felt relaxed. You should off course always be cautious, that goes for all large cities around the world. The people that live in this great city are very friendly. If you want to have a great night out head out to Juanchito or stick closer to the hotel and head to Menga where Salsa and Bachata are on the menu.

Room Tip: Definitely consider the one-bedroom aparta suite, excellent value for money. Apartment 303 has a liv...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DieterSandy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed in Cali for 2 weeks in November 2011, I had spent a bit of time looking at different hotels but decided on the Cali Plaza. I have stayed in many hotels in Europe and the USA and I like to see what people say about a place. Reviews rated the Cali Plaza highly and I'm all for supporting word of mouth businesses. I emailed the hotel checking rates and received a reply very quickly, the rates were fantastic for what I wanted with a special offer included, I chose the one bed aparta-suite. I had to change my travel dates a short time before I was due to arrive and this was accommodated with no problem, AND the special offer price still applied. I was delayed by a day (where else but CDG, France) on my way to Colombia, again with very little notice I mailed the hotel about my delay, Again, no problems. On arrival I was checked in smoothly, shown the room and the features, handed the key and left to my own devices. The first thing that struck me was the uniqueness of the room, almost like staying in someone's home: nice furniture, good layout: a separate kitchen, laundry area, bathroom living room and bedroom with a decent airy size. I didn't feel cramped. The suite was very clean and was kept impeccable throughout my stay be the very friendly and helpful staff. The kitchen had everything I needed for cooking, big fridge/freezer, microwave, hob etc. being from Europe and missing my cup of tea, I didn't find a kettle, no matter. The bedroom was clean, bed clothes spotless, sheets were spotless, pillows spotless. Simple but effective closets with a digital safe. Air conditioning was provided by two wall mounted remote controlled AC units, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. These were very good on the hotter days. The hotel itself is quiet, I didn't hear any other guests or loud TV's in other rooms (solid walls). I must mention the staff, The guys and girls working the reception/maintenance are very friendly and helpful, my Spanish was limited but they spoke English when needed which was really helpful. They happily let you in and out and order cabs for you and will also sell you beers (or stronger) from the cooler in the lobby. The only drawback of was not the hotel itself, but rather it's location across the road from El Viejo Barril, a disco bar which likes to pump their music at the loudest volume to the wee hours. Fine if your in a party mood but a bit annoying after a few nights on the beer when your just trying to catch up on sleep, earplugs however did the trick just fine. The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring Avienda Sexta, lots of bars and restaurants within a few mins walk. It being my first time in Colombia, I was a little nervous walking the first few nights up Avienda Sexta, but found the locals get to know your face and extend a raucous welcome (to their bar or restaurant) thereafter. You are also in a good location being a 5 min taxi ride or 10 min walk to Chipi-Chape shopping mall and close to most city attractions. Overall, the Cali Plaza was a find. A smart, well run establishment, clean, safe, friendly and comfortable. I will certainly stay there again when I travel to Cali, it could be considered a home from home and you'll be certainly made feel welcome.

Room Tip: Go for the aparta-suite if you can.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank paulie219
Harlingen, TX
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at Cali Plaza Hotel for a total of four nights from late September to early October, and chose the hotel based on the many positive experiences previous guests expressed here on TripAdvisor. Making a reservation through the hotel's website on the internet wasn't a problem. You are able to make a reservation, but in order to secure the reservation, the hotel requests that you a pay a deposit in advance (for me, this was $63) with a credit card through PayPal. This deposit is then applied towards your hotel bill when you are ready to check out. Upon arriving at the hotel I was greeted by receptionist Henry, who showed me to my room. During my stay, I found great hot water and water pressure in the shower, cold air conditioning, clean and fluffy towels, clean linens on the bed, a security safe in the closet, television with about 80 channels (some in english, including CNN), and a mini-fridge. Housekeeping did a great job freshening the room every day. There are no telephones in the rooms, but you are provided with a cell phone by the hotel. You then buy a phone card (60 minutes for 20,000 COP or roughly $10 in cash) from reception, who then cheerfully sets up the phone for you. The bar and restaurant of Cali Plaza Hotel is currently closed (it operates as a separate entity from the hotel, and they are trying to find someone to rent it and re-open it), so breakfast is not available at the hotel each morning as of right now. This was a little disappointing, and made finding your first meal of the day a challenge. There is also no common computer for guests to use in the lobby, but there is an internet spot directly across the street and a much better one (Cyber Sexta) on the corner just down the street. At checkout, if you pay in cash with US Dollars, you are given a 5% discount, and a 10% discount if you pay in Colombian Pesos. Overall, I give Cali Plaza Hotel a thumbs up, and would very much consider staying here on a future trip to Cali.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Northern CA
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The very positive reviews in Tripadvisor convinced me to give this hotel a try when I visited Cali for three days in late July, 2011. Well, although I did not get a greeting by the owner or quite the personal treatment as in prior reviews, I did find a clean and comfortable room for a reasonable price. I stayed in a large room near the front desk, not in an apartment style room upstairs.

Although the hotel was relatively quiet, the area around it is full of discos, bars and all kinds of nightlife, which made the overall ambiance quite noisy, especially the disco right across the street with nonstop music until the wee hours. Of course, this might be just the thing for younger folks, but I am a little too old to take part in bar hopping and late night partying. So, although I would recommend it based on the hotel itself, please do a reality check regarding the neighborhood and nightlife.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cklonowski
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I loved the place. It is located right in the heart of the best part of Cali. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel and if you need any help with finding the local gym or other needs, the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. The room was big, well equipped and meet all my needs and then some. This is the place to stay in Cali.

Kevin

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank kelloyd
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at Cali Plaza hotel after reading the great reviews. This hotel lives up to the positive feedback. The owner Claude is doing a great job and has the most helpful staff working at the hotel. The hotel is located close to everything! You get a free cell phone (just add minutes). No need to venture out to get a cab. You can get George to pick you up and drop you off. Both the owner and George speak English, so you need not worry if your Spanish is rusty. My friends and I had a great time staying at this hotel and will be staying here when we visit Cali. A+++

Al