“AWESOME HOTEL & SERVICE”
Review of NH Cali Royal

NH Cali Royal
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Cali
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“AWESOME HOTEL & SERVICE”
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stood at the Radisson Royal Hotel in Cali and was amazed with the level of service provided. From the moment I arrived at the hotel to the moment I checked-out, the staff was amazing.

Upon my arrival, I was met by the Bellman and he escorted me to the Front Desk. I was greeted by four (4) lovely ladies. The check-in process was flawless. I was then escorted by the bellman to my room. He explained to me all the amenities within the hotel.

The hotel is well kept and accessible to many different malls and awesome restaurants. The room is very comfortable and the bed, ufffff, magnificent.

I highly recommend this hotel. I am looking forward to my next visit.

E

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I arrived at the Royal Radisson late July 30, 2009 and stayed until August 7, 2009. Was greeted by an English speaking "bell boy" who walked me through my registration, facilities, and escorted me to my room where he provided me with an overview of the room's amenities.

I had originally reserved a standard room, but somehow was upgraded to a business suite which included a living room, dining area, queen size bed, and a very large tub that could have held me and several of my close friends. The room also had a stocked refrigerator with beer, soft drinks, and other enticing delights.

I was booked into the room for 8 nights and slept well and in complete quietness. The maid service was very efficient and courteous and took time to ensure that I had enough of all I needed and that I was happy with the accommodations.

Early the next morning I went to the café where a free “continental” breakfast was served. The breakfast provided was unlike most continental breakfasts I am used to. Denny’s or I-Hop would have a tough time competing. All types of local breads (pan) were served, dishes with sausages, plantains, some type of fried chicken legs , fresh orange juice, pineapple juice, and other juices. There was a cook standing behind the food counter that would prepare any type of egg you desired. Each morning there was a whole new assortment of breakfast items one could choose from. I took the opportunity to select a small sample of each of the assorted items and found each to be very well prepared and tasteful.

Throughout my stay I encountered many of the staff. Each was very courteous and helpful. They took the time to greet me each day and ask if I needed anything. Most of the front desk staff spoke English and several of the other hotel staff I encountered also spoke English. Of course it was helpful for me to know a little Spanish.

During my stay the hotel was undergoing repainting of the outside of the facility, however, the management made sure that any inconvenience was minimal.

On several occasions I made use of the pool which is surrounded by tables with food and drink service. The pool area was very clean and well maintained. Cali was hot during my stay and my late evening swims in the pool were quite refreshing.

For years I have heard about the security problems in Colombia. From what I found out, security and safety in Colombia is a past problem. Even so, the hotel is very security conscious and appears to place customer’s safety and well being at the top of their operational list.

D. McAuliff, Florida

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New york
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I just got back from cali. and well my stay was amazing. Hotel people were great especially the security. The head of security made us feel at home with no worries. The Colombian National Soccer Team was also staying there, which was cool.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed August 12, 2008

My major disappointment was finding bloody pillow and pillowcase. They had a stain and also the sheets. They were changed immediately, but it was not a pleasant start. I coud not find any other place to stay, otherwise, I would have changed hotels. The Inter was available but double the price and the location was not good for me.
The hotel is small, OK in general, but lacks a lot of little and big things other hotels have. There was no coffee maker, the king size bed was not king size... toiletries were very scarce. The carpet on the hallway looked pretty dirty. I paid about $110 per night, stayed 4 nights. Service was OK, breakfast (included) was fine. They never delivered the newspaper I was promise. In general, I was unhappy with the place and will probably won't stay there again.

• Liked — Hotel staff was nice and helpful
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 27, 2008

After reading other reviews on this hotel, we had some trepidation about booking there. However, we had stayed there ten years ago (when it was owned by another chain) and liked it very much. I have the impression the poorer reviews may have been written either before it had come under the Radisson ownership, or perhaps during a period of transition while it was being brought up to Radisson standards. In any case, it was an excellent experience. It is a lovely hotel. Service was excellent, very responsive and very friendly. The restaurant and cafe which are next to the pool and surrounded by the lush landscaping so typical of Cali were very good. We appreciated the tremendous variety of offerings at the buffet breakfast which was complimentary. The rooms seemed to be completely updated and were roomy, contemporary and comfortable. Free Wifi for the computer was also appreciated. This is the only major hotel in the southern part of the city, which is where we needed to be, and we were very pleased.

• Liked — Quality of the room and the setting (around the pool with great landscaping) of the restaurants
  • Disliked — Free shuttle service to the airport did not apply to the early morning flight we were taking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Arkansas
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I was traveling in Colombia and Ecuador with my girlfriend and baby. In Cali, Colombia, we usually stay at the Four Points Sheraton, but I waited too late to make a reservation. There was an event in town, and there was no availability. The Intercontinental was out of my budget, more than $200 for two adults and a baby.

After seeing photographs of the Radisson Royal Hotel Cali at the Radisson website, I thought I found a hidden gem in the south of Cali. Wow, was I wrong. Most international businesses are located in the north or near downtown.

1. The room I received was outdated and dark as compared to the room photos I saw at the Radisson website.

2. There were ants in the bathroom after being there less than 10 hours. We were carrying food for the baby. BTW, we were on the 5th floor.

3. They overcharged me by deflating the Colombian peso / US dollar exchange rate by more than 10% even though I showed them their newspaper with that day's exchange rate. I, also, showed them a copy of the reservation summary sent to me by Radisson with the agreed upon price. The customer service manager said that it was out of his hands. "It was corporate policy". They wouldn't adjust the price.

4. They supplied us with an already broken crib until we complained.

5. They don't offer airport pickup or drop-off though the Four Points Sheraton does.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again. Try the Four Points Sheraton or the Intercontinental (if your budget allows).

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank more_science
Reviewed May 26, 2005

I recently stayed at the Radisson in Cali. The hotel is located in South Cali, adjacent to the Guiness shopping center, and across the street from the famous Unicentro shopping mall.

The hotel is large with many facilities including tropically landscaped pool, fitness center, business center, free breakfast bar, upscale seafood restaurant, meeting rooms and other amenities that you would excpect in a full service hotel.

The guest room was oversized and comfortable, but somewhat worn. I think the carpet will need replacing soon. The room was very spacious however, and the marble bathroom area was seperate from sleeping area, so I liked that.

I was not particularly impressed with the service. The reception staff was polite and courteous, but not overly welcoming. I found the same for the bellmen and wait staff. I was only impressed with the service of the housekeeping. They did a marvelous job and have maintained the property well.

When returning to Cali, I would probably stay in the North of the city as it is closer to the nightlife... restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. The Radisson is in a safe upmarket area, but rather dead at night. Not very pedestrian friendly either.

• Stayed April 2005