“Very nice”

Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Cali
Kadima, Israel
“Very nice”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel during a congress that took place in it for 3 nights.
the hotel is very modern and comfortable, nice staff, breakfast is amazing in my point of view.
Bed is very comfortable, nice view from my room.
Cons:
1. if you forgot anything like toothpaste of shaving materials, you can find it in the room - but it is not complimentary, so watch it, it is not very cheap.
2. In my room the bath foil wasn't working properly and since I didn't want anybody in my room working to fix it, I just let it be, but not suitable for such hotel

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan_Poller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Beautiful hotel in safe area where you can walk around at night. Good restaurants in walking distance as well as in the hotel. The breakfasts at the hotel were fantastic full of fruits, eggs, soup, omelete bar, you eat overlooking the pool or inside. There is live music while you eat. The beauty salon offers excellent service at super reasonable prices. The staff is really great. I got welcoming email just before my stay asking to see if they could help answer any questions and Lilliana was wonderful in helping us plan trips.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank perlago
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at InterContinental Cali - Un Hotel Estelar, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Good Morning Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us at Intercontinental Cali an Estelar Hotel. We keep on working hard to provide our guests an excellent experience during their stay. Hoteles Estelar is very pleased that you enjoyed our food and the services of the team. We would like to invite you to visit other destinations where we can provide you the same excellent service.

Kind Regards
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I recently stayed at Intercontinental Cali for a week on a business trip. My room had recently been remodeled. It was a very comfortable bed. The room was clean. It even had a scale in the room, which I appreciated.

The food was OK. I ordered room service one night, and I ate in the hotel for breakfasts and lunches, as well as a couple dinners. I wouldn't say it was fabulous food, but it was always decent. Staff was always very nice.

The gym was a nice facility. There were two treadmills, two ellipticals, a weight machine, free weights, and several spinning bikes. There was also a large area for stretching/ab work. It was well attended as I went most days at 5:30 in the morning, and someone was working.

My only real complaint is the noise factor. My room faced the front street. I heard a lot of street noise, especially on Friday/Saturday nights. BRING EAR PLUGS!! The windows didn't appear to be insulated well. I woke up every night due to noise in the street.

Overall, it was a nice hotel and was safe and clean. Staff was very nice. I would stay again with ear plugs.

Room Tip: Choose one on the back side that faces the pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Doha
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Intercontinental Cali and it was fine. We had a Jr Suite for our family of 4 which was not quite large enough for a crib for the baby and a cot for the 5 year old, but he was fine on the sofa (which was NOT a pull-out bed, just a sofa).

The rooms are just fine as far as furnishings and cleanliness go. Nothing special but nothing scary, either. Everything worked and housekeeping was fine. They could use a refurbishing as they were a little tired and worn. The bed was hard and not particularly comfortable. The windows did not keep any outside noise out of the room but, thankfully, most of the noise was party buses, so they went by pretty quickly!

The service at the hotel was very good and everyone was kind and helpful. The pool is huge and great but the water is cold! Great for the adults but the kids were shivering after about 15 minutes. They have a playground area with sand and grass steps away from the pool so the kids had fun and were easy to keep an eye on from the pool.

The food in the hotel restaurant is not bad but it took about 40 minutes from the time we ordered until we actually ate. All of the food for the hotel comes out of the same kitchen so the restaurant menu is the same as the Room Service menu, and the food in the restaurant comes to the table covered in the metal covers, just like room service!

The location is very convenient to the few sights there are to see in Cali and we were never in the car more than 15 minutes.

Overall it was just fine for a long weekend and if we return to Cali in the future, we will probably go back to the Intercon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at InterContinental Cali - Un Hotel Estelar, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Good Afternoon Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending InterContinental Cali an Estelar Hotel on Tripadvisor and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to read your positive comments. I have carefully noted your feedback regarding our quality area and can assure we will address this immediately. Furthermore, we are already considering solution in the near future.

Kind Regards,
New York
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I was recently tin Cali to teach a training class. This is my second class to teach at the InterContinental. The facilities are good. The team there is responsive. We had two people that attended the main training room for most of the day. Their english was passble and if they did not understand me, they would just tell me so I could get one of my spansih speaking co-workers to help translate. This was much appreciated and helped eliminate any communication mix ups. These folks also attended to us at lunch and during breaks. The food provided was good. I have a gluten allergy and the staff was very accomodating - I had special snacks when the rest of the group had a flour based snack.
The rooms are nice and clean. The beds are comfortable. The hotel staff is very accomodating. My only comment would be, the hotel is on a busy street. I would highly recommend bringing ear plugs to shield you from the occasional chiva (party bus) that might roar by at 2am.
My room key did keep deactivating, which was slightly annoying. I am not sure if it is a security thing, but expect to your room key retooled every 2 days.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at InterContinental Cali - Un Hotel Estelar, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Good Afternoon Dear. Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at Estelar Suites Jones. We are very pleased to read your review and learn that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments which are very important to us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Kind Regards.
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This was my first trip to the Cali Intercontinental. I know the Medellin Intercontinental well so it's interesting to make some comparisons.
The Cali property is like Medellin an older property. However it is in good repair and both the bedrooms and the public areas are well kept. My room - a junior suite upgraded as part of the Intercontinental's excellent Ambassador program - was large clean and functional. No issues there.
It's the public areas of the hotel that give me more concern. There's no real bar area and the areas designated as such are cold and unwelcoming. There are several dining choices, the terrace area (as also used for breakfast), a more upscale restaurant - the interior of which appears mor US chain style and a Pizza place. None really had much atmosphere about them and other than the pizza potion had few clientele. Room service is also big on quantity and lacking in quality. Medellin has much more classy choices including an outside grill house and an inside fine dining room.
Security of the hotel is difficult to judge as some important personage was there resulting in a number of armed trips being placed around the property. Colombia soldiers do not go to duty lightly armed!
The location is good - and safe - and there were plenty of taxis. There aren't a huge number of dining places nearby (there's a Tony Roma's across the road) but it's a good area.
The staff for the most part were very friendly. However the breakfast buffet was poor and little choice other than room service as an alternative. Medellin again handles this better.
Although the upgraded room was good other Ambassador perks were noticeably less than Medellin. No water, no newspaper, a small plate of cut fruit rather than the pleasant basket in Medellin and no discount on services used in the hotel.
There's a casino downstairs and I received a COP 50,000 voucher to spend there. It's voucher is good for use on the slots, but that's it. No danger here of James Bond walking in.
This hotel isn't a bad choice but they really need to do something about the dining choices and areas were people can meet.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PhileasFoggontour
Cartagena, Colombia
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stayed just for one night during a business trip and it was great. Check in was fast and simple. Hotel is elegant and modern. Room was very clean and restaurant was nice but service can get better, also a little expensive. Internet was Okay, it worked right away, didnt have to call front desk for instructions. Didnt have time to use the pool but it looked very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business