“Drinking in the Views of Cali”
Review of Hotel Now

Hotel Now
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in Cali
Bogota, Colombia
“Drinking in the Views of Cali”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I didn't stay here but had drinks by the pool which overlooked Cali. It was hip, the views were mesmerizing, the city lights of Cali enchanting and the Pacific breezes making a warm evening very memorable. Service was very good and attentive. That said, I could see how noise from the night club and the terrace lounge could potentially be a problem for overnight guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank polka party

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Whenever I stay over night in Cali, I choose to stay at the hotel Now because it offers everything I need in one place. For business purposes it has great wireless connections and private meeting rooms if required, the restaurant, in particular with the new Japanese chef is very exquisite. In the evening, the rooftop terrace offers great ambiance in a lounge style environment. Last but not least, the rooms are designed to my taste, the large beds are extremely comfortable and the lovely balcony is ideal for enjoying a breakfast with a view (make sure you ask for a room above the first floor...). I must say I have always stayed there during the week, where there is no party atmosphere hence I never experienced noise problems.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on floor 2 - 5 are more spacious
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PascalKalt
Devon UK
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in June. Initially it had the 'wow' factor and still does in many ways. However I would not recommend this hotel if you want ro sleep at night. As others have said the hotel needs to decide if it is a disco or a quality hotel offering superlative facilities. On Friday and Saturday night sleep was impossible as the disco sounds prevented any such pleasure. It is not just the music but the loud bass that just pummels you. The only way I could sleep was to stuff ear plugs well in. The hotel should have paid me to stay. Even when therw is no disco, the constant lobby music continues late into night. Included breakfast was also on the stingy side. Rather than supply all kinds of body lotions it would be far better to provide a decent breakfast, at which service was slow and coffee was by the cup rather than jug. The hotel tried too hard to be tech savy with every conceivable gadget, none of which I used. Reception staff were very helpful but other than breakfast I did not eat in the hotel. Both wake up calls never happened. There is a small unheated swimming pool on the top which is adequqte but even in Cali's heat (30+degrees) might seem a little cold to some.
I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Pension Stein considerably more 6 years ago and for a quarter of the price, and that included a decent breakfast.

Room Tip: If you must stay then choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DevonUKScrumpy
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I loved now, it's trendy, clean and an excellent location. Don't look any further.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Now for more than two weeks and this was by far the best experience I have ever had in a hotel. The rooms were great and the service was the best I ever had in a hotel. They went out of there way to make sure I was comfortable. They made me feel like family there. I can honestly say that this was the first time I didn't want to leave a hotel. The food is amazing there at the resturant in the hotel. It is worth going to the hotel just to eat at the resturant. The service at Hotel Now is spectacular. I highly recommend this hotel when you are in Cali.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jimmyfins
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Pros
- excellent modern rooms with attention to detail and comfort ( ie. Excellent bedding and pillows, high end bathroom amenities from France, nice room layout, state of the art a/c and in room entertainment)

Cons
-this hotel has a niteclub in the 2nd floor which I came to find out upon check in. When I asked the man who showed me to my room about sleep quality due to noise from this in hotel nite club he said not to worry as all the rooms where sound proofed.
- the sound proofing of the rooms is BS! Unless you sleep through bombs exploding I guarantee that you will not sleep at nite in this hotel as the thunderous bass of the clubs sound system will pierce through your room and start to make you angry at the poor planning behind this idea of hotel and club in the same space. Note for hotel mngmnt: guys, be one or the other but you can't be both a club and a hotel in the same space.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank LSRC
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2010

As a first time visitor to Cali, I had heard a lot about how it is a city that needs to be updated,so it came as a nice surprise to check into a modern,new hotel with beautiful, airy,light contemporary spaces and design. The rooms are a little bit small (if you are sharing a bed,you may want to ask for the king size bed,we found the queen size to be way too small and we were moved after the first night),although the decor is impeccable and it has good solid windows which block out any street noise.Ask for a room with a balcony;the views are nothing to write home about,but we found it nice to have breakfast or a drink in the evening there.I loved the idea of the a/c within a work of art,they have made a great effort to include modern ideas like that and like the light dimmer controlled with the TV remote control.However, in the second room we had, the lights were a bit of a nightmare because we had to reset the whole system every time we came back to the room and the remote control dimming feature never worked (room 10,FYI).
The bathroom LOOKS nice (very small though)but I am a person with long difficult hair and I do not wash it every day because I do not need it and because I don't want to spend 30 minutes after each shower drying it out,so I found the shower extremely irritating to use.It is one of those modern showers where two streams of water come from the front wall and two from the ceiling,so I really had to maneuver myself carefully (even with a shower cap on) to not get my hair wet.I find it annoying when one wants to be SO modern that you sacrifice practicality. A hand-held shower-head to complement those ceiling and wall streams would have pleased me and the rest of the feminine population that doesn't wash their hair daily greatly and I suspect the cost would not have been substantial.
The bed is very comfortable and the sheets are great but I noticed the comforter was particularly heavy and made me sweat a lot during the night,even with the a/c on at full blast.
The service is the absolute worst part of this hotel.The staff is comprised of young,nice people,which I find great,but there is nobody really running the "show" ,so to speak.Employees lack formation and you can tell in how they answer your requests.EVERY single request,from an ice bucket to ordering food to anything else you may need,had to be repeated at least three times and took at LEAST 45 minutes to arrive...VERY VERY frustrating!!Every day we requested the glasses in the bathroom be left there and EVERY day they were taken away. Every day (we stayed for 8 nights) we requested the menus be left in the room and EVERY day they were taken away so we had to wait 45 minutes for them to be brought up and then at LEAST 45 minutes for the food...even if we only ordered a simple milkshake,one had to call and call and call again for EVERYTHING!!I found the staff under-trained and overwhelmed.Everyone was very nice but nothing was done in a timely manner,in fact it was just the opposite,everything was like pulling teeth.

The absolute worst part,however,even worse than the service, was that this hotel is trying to be everything at once: a trendy club, a venue for singers and a hotel,and those three things,in a relatively small urban space,just do not mix. From inside the room one could hear the music constantly being played outside,though I must admit that was not too bothersome when the volume was kept at a reasonable level during the day.What really was bothersome was that on our last two nights (Friday and Saturday) the hotel was presenting a show in their lobby which involved singers singing at a volume which to us sounded as if they were at the foot of our bed.Even if you put the TV volume at the absolute maximum,you couldn't hear it,you could only hear the loud echoes of the singing downstairs.I sleep with earplugs and nothing could drown out the loudness!This started at 8 pm with the rehearsals and went on until 1 am on both nights,so if you, like us, had an early flight to catch on Sunday and needed to get some rest...forget about it!Impossible!How can a hotel of this category do this to paying guests? I had actually gone to Cali for a couple of very painful long dental surgeries from which I was trying to recover by resting in my room and,of course,that was impossible with the noise at the level it was. I find this,at best,an inconsiderate (to the hotel guests) and greedy move on behalf of the hotel and I warn anyone booking there to ask beforehand what events are planned in the lobby and at what hours,because you could hear the music from every single room,there is no way around it,all the rooms give out onto the lobby.To top off the inconsiderate nature of this "musical event", hotel guests were not allowed into the event without paying and the only food available was fast food.So you are not only being inconvenienced greatly by the loud music at night but if you give up on trying to get some sleep and want to see the show,you have to PAY and if you want something that is not fast food,forget it!
The food can also be improved,in my opinion.They have the right idea with the dishes they present but pasta,for instance,is rubbery and chewy,as is the pizza. Breakfast was a little better.
The conclusion is that you can see they have made a big investment in the infrastructure of the hotel,it looks very nice and new,the safety is good,but the service is very very bad and the fact that they want to be a club AND a hotel simply does not work for anyone looking to get a good night's rest,like we were.
Also,because it is concrete,you can hear anyone who walks on the floor above you loud and clear in your room below.

Luckily,all of these issues can be improved by having management see to the guests' requests in a timely fashion and revising the food quality.Hopefully they will get around to doing this sooner than later.A person in charge would also work wonders in getting things done on time. They should stop wanting to be all things to all people and stick to being a hotel where party people,business people or medical travelers such as myself can rest their weary bones without a constant thump-thump-thump in the background or a deafening concert at all hours of the night interrupting your sleep.
If I had the owner of this hotel in front of me,I would tell her: You invested so much money in this building,now you need to pay more attention to the details involving service,you should give your staff more formation,you should have someone visibly running the whole hotel,you should listen to your guests and cater to them because ,as your name implies,you are a HOTEL,not a restaurant,not a singing venue and not a club!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple