“Worse Than Terrible!!!”
Review of Jovitas Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cali
Jovitas Hostel
Ranked #70 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Cali
Cali, Colombia
“Worse Than Terrible!!!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I saw a poster for Jovitas in another hostel and then checked out the reviews. Other than a few negatives, this place looked amazing, so I called and reserved a dorm bed. I arrived, checked in, and then it was all downhill from there. They forgot to mention that the whole place is undergoing renovations except for the entrance garden and a couple of dorm rooms. No gym, no running water in the filthy kitchen, a refrigerator that barely works, and very few places to sit because everything is torn up. In fact, one of the few lounge chairs broke when I sat on it and I'm not a very big guy. The lockers are nice sized, but a conventional padlock won't fit them leaving you to rent a smaller one from them. The beds only have one bottom sheet and mine had sand and dirt in it from the last user and the pillow was covered with hair!!! It's warm in Cali so I can understand not needing another sheet, but DIRTY sheets are unacceptable. The showers need repair too - the first I entered had a broken latch, the second didn't have warm water, and finally the third was decent. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody unless you like paying for crap and being awakened at 7am by jackhammers outside your door.

Just to give you an idea, the next day I found La Pinta Boogaloo a short walk away and paid a buck more for an amazing hostel that includes a pool, breakfast, use of nearly gourmet kitchen, and an impeccable grounds and over-the-top helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Zach H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was expecting to stay here a couple of days, but thanks to all the fun activities that Jovitas organises (salsa lessons, yoga, and nights full of laughter and friends) I made this my new home for about 3 months. The hostel has been renovated completely recently, so the quality of dorms and communal areas is great. If you are a salsa addict, expect to have your best dances in this hostel! And if you are looking for great new friendships, Jovitas is your place too. I have never experienced a place where locals are so welcoming and open to show their city to travellers. The only risk that you take when booking this hostel is that it makes you coming back, over and over again... ;)

Big kiss to Anuar, Ronald, Diana, Diana, Victor, Carlos & Francy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great hostel, people are very friendly and helpfull and they speak english very well. You will really feel at home here! There are free salsa clases every day, free yoga classes and you can take private salsa classes with really good and nice salsateachers. The neighbourhood is nice and safe as well. For me this was the best hostel in my trip of six months, would love to return here some day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Good

Is near downtown

The bad

The place is pretty dingy.
Atmosphere ???? Where here? lol
They pack people into rooms by having 3 story bunkbeds, the beds are soft, the sheets are really old and there is no fan.
The kitchen is small but do-able.
Staff are ignorant and don´t seem to make the connection between guests and where their income comes from.
Staff let random people come into the hostel at night to hang out, great way to have your stuff disappear.
They adverise "free salsa".....it is not free, it´s $25000 cop a lesson.

I sayed here before and am writing from past experience, today I got in at 6 am and didn´t know of any other hostels at the time so went here...only planned on one night on my way to Ecuador.

So I checked in at 6:30 , put my bags down and fell asleep in one of the hammocks. The whole place went into construction at about 8. By 9 am I realized there is no running water in the hostel. That means toilets don´t flush, no washing hands and the kitchen is piled with dirty dishes. I asked for a refund, or a at least some of my money back and was refused by a 16 year old girl working there. I exlained I hadn´t even used my bed but apparently using a hammock for a few hours costs the hostel money. I had to argue with her to explain she is not the owner and can´t make those calls based on her opinion.
After some time I got the owners number who didn´t pick up...probably a fake number.

There is a hostel a few blocks up from Jovitas where your money will get you more. Also some good ones in the north of the city.

Bottom line
Stay away

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Yup2013

Travelers are raving about these Cali hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The good:
Nice and friendly staff
Great place to meet people
Surrounding area is safe to walk around
Rooms are dark (good for sleeping in the day after spending the night enjoying the salsa in Cali).
Good Wifi

The bad:
The place is not that clean and looks a little run down....
Beds are not that comfy
Bathrooms are not very clean (and there are not enough bathrooms)
No hot water (however not really needed in heat of Cali).

Friendly staff- great place to meet people- however not that clean and needs some improvement in regards to the rooms and bathrooms.....

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank CaroDoyleAus
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Please forgive me, but I must tell the truth, we stayed at this hostel and without telling anyone they raised the prices and told us that if we did not like it we could go some place else. Without any reservation we were forced to pay 5 times more than we were quoted when we made our reservation. The bathrooms had no paper and no soap, the hot water does not work and the staff never cleaned the place in the five days we stayed there, look somplace else before you stay there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pilaspilas
Israel
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here two nights in a dorm. The place is absolutely disgusting, the toilets are pretty far from the rooms, there is neither soap or toilet paper in the bathrooms, there is hardly warm water coming from an old fashion electricity system in the shower. You get only a bed in this place and nothing further. The common area might be noisy, disturbing the rooms around it. The computers are very old. The location is not too central, and there is nothing to do around there for night life etc. The service very bad, they didn't even ask for a taxi for us when we left the place, they said the phone was broken... Not recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends