“The Jewell in the crown of hotels in Barranquilla”

NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Barranquilla
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Smart Suites Royal Hotel for 6 days and the hotel staff made us both feel welcome and they all went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed or stay.

Within 5 minutes walk from the hotel is a good selection of restaurants and the area is safe to walk around during the day and at evening.

On my return to Barranquilla the Smart Suites Royal will be my hotel of choice.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a few minutes to express your opinion about us.

We hope to have you back soon to this your home in Barranquilla!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was an overall good experience. The staff of this hotel is very well trained ( with the exception of a woman in the restaurant, that is not rude but doesnt have the same service levels). The bellboys are amazing, the front desk agents as well. They offer you the pick up service for US 15.00, although they end uo charging you in local currency at their own exchange rate ( 2000 pesos for dollar..which is pretty high compared with the official exchange).
I would stay there again, no doubt, however if i were looking for a less expensive but good quality option I would stay at the Hampton Inn by Hilton.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the 14th floor, avoid the 1405 ( which is the one I got), it is right under the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your excellent comments.

SmartSuites Royal is committed to providing its customers an unforgettable stay and make them feel at home.

We hope to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights middle of August 2013. I booked the reservation through their website which gave the price in USD. They do not take the money immediately which was fine by me but for others maybe an issue so just be aware. They were very friendly and accomodating. Now for those that complain about lighting etc. This is South America this is not the USA. So keep this in the mind please. The room was spacious modern feel had a great view near everything very safe location. The lights once the warm up a bright and adequate I didnt have any color issues. MY bathroom everything worked great with no issues. The bed was very comfortable and they have HD flat panel LED TV's. The Wifi was free and worked great. My only issue was at checkout. Fabio wanted to charge much more than the agreed upon price/rate. I have traveled many times in the past so I made sure I had copies and printouts of everything in advance. He then wanted to give me a conversion rate much much lower than the standard rate going rate at the banks and money exchange locations. At the time the conversion was 1843 COP to 1 USD. Fabio tried to tell me it was 1700 COP to 1 USD. It took me over 40 minutes to check out and get him to understand I wasnt paying more than the amount that was on the printed out confirmed reseravation, which by the way is in USD, from their own reservation system. Other than this issue which when you are trying to check out is very frustrating I had a great stay and the staff, other than Fabio were very courteous, helpful, and friendly. Just be aware if you stay here or anywhere in Colombia bring cash exchange it locally and pay in COP. DO NOT use a credit card and keep copies print outs of everything you booked prior to arriving.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kajun

Dear guest,

In behalf of SmartSuites Royal Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel, for us it’s really important to have a feedback. We will follow your recommendations about the issues you mentioned to guarantee an exceptional service for our guests.

We wish you could visit us shortly so we can give you again the attention you deserve.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights last month. Very good location, walking distance to all the popular restaurants and nightlife spots. The building appears relatively new. Front desk staff is very friendly, serves a welcome drink, early check in was no problem. Nice lobby area. My room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was ok, decent variety of choices and great local fruit.

On the downside, there were a few small things that were just not quite right. Toilet in my room did not flush, they fixed it 3 times in 2 days - finally worked on departure. The shower - water pressure on the 13th floor was so-so, and the drain did not work properly - by the time you are done, there are 2 inches of water at the bottom of the shower, and there is no easy way to rinse your feet getting out of there. Towel rack is built for giants - I'm relatively short, but not tiny - and I could not get to the top towel, so I ended up dropping my towels into the dirty shower water at the bottom... not convenient!! The bulbs in the room are CF, so everything has that greenish hospital tint - it really does not do justice to the nice job they've done with decor. And the gym and pool - yes, the views from there are great, but the pool is tiny and the gym had antiquated equipment, and no A/C remote control either.. so it was turned off, temperature at about 85F,and it took some 20 min for a guy with the remote to show up.

Overall, I'd stay there again, but the place is not going to win any prizes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear guest,

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a really good hotel for the money. Nice and quiet rooms with modern decoration and good beds. The hotel is very well located in a safe neighborhood, so you can reach good restaurants, drugstores, supermarkets and cafe from a short walk distance. But, if you want to stay, enjoy the Hotel restaurant - they serve a delicious food.

Room Tip: prefer rooms as high as you can, so you can enjoy the beautiful view from Madalena river and Sierra...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Mr. Fabio,

First off all we want to thank you for choosing us for your stay at Barranquilla and for taking a few minutes to express your opinion about us in TripAdvisor. For the SmartSuites Royal family it is a pleasure to know that you had an excellent experience in our hotel. Your comments are really important to us because they indicate that we are doing a great job.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel. The location is great near restaurants and bars. Also the complimentary breakfast is really good. If you go with children do request a room with private shower. The rooms that I have stayed have open showers. No doors. The pool is very small. It does not have a regular pool for children to spend the day. Overall this is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Mr. Carlos,

First off all we want to thank you for your comments, for us it’s really important to have a feedback For the SmartSuites Royal family is a pleasure to know that you had an excellent experience in our hotel. We always try to give our best and it seems to be working. We also want you to know that we will assist you with whatever you may need.

We hope to have you back soon to this your home in Barranquilla!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Booked smartsuites last minute. Welcomed at arrival with a cold breeze drink, got my key to the room at 6th floor. Very nicely decorated, smart design. Clean, and very practical.

Pool / gym on terass roof has got a terrific view over Barranquilla! Only minus is the size of the pool (very small).

Staff was very attentative, serviceminded. Breakfast great. A really good hotel!!

Some minor topics:
- Prices for minibar (as for many hotels in colombia nowadays) was a real ripoff so i didn't use it.
- 2nd day card stopped working
- my laundry was promised 2nd day but showed up at last day.

• Stayed: June 2013
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest

In behalf of SmartSuites Royal Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We want to offer you our most sincere apologies for the laundry service. We guarantee you that we will keep on working to offer an exceptional service for our guests and to maintain the service that makes us different.

We hope to have your visit again shortly.