“Really Nice Hotel For Business”

Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Barranquilla
Tampa, Florida
“Really Nice Hotel For Business”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The hotel is located in an upper middle class neighborhood and felt safe to walk outside. Rooms are spacious, baths large with walk in showers (no tubs), fast WiFi and good AC. They have a small roof top pool area that was busy at night. There is a breakfast area that served meats, cheeses, breaks and a limited menu of cooked foods. The TV only had one english speaking channel (CNN). The hotel was adjacent to a small mall area that has restaurants, shops and a discotheque that were filled with friendly locals every night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank travel33624
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Good Morning,

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are very thankful for all your nice comments, although let us tell you that we have a cable tv installed in all of our rooms and there are a variaty of english speaking channels such as FOX, Sony, Warner Brothers, CNN, Discovery Channel, Home and Health, and others.

Perhaps the channels were in commercials when you turned to them, and those are in spanish presenting a bit of a confusion.

We hope to have you with us in the future.

Quality Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my favorite hotels!  I stayed here 3 times last year during a few of my business trips to Barranquilla ---one of those occasions was for a month.  Rooms are spacious and very clean. Great bathrooms, also very clean and modern.

The staff is extremely pleasant.  Every member greeted me by name every morning and every evening as I walked past them. I can't say enough about the staff!!! Friendly, courteous, all smiles!

The complimentary breakfast is amazing! What a spread! Eggs, cereals, oatmeals, buñuelos, arepas, empanadas, bollo, all the typical foods of the area. Loved, loved it!

Rooftop pool is very small, but it was never packed.  They also have a nice rooftop sitting area in the other side of the pool.  It has tables, chairs, umbrellas, and a fantastic view of Barranquilla.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed June 2011
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, April 18, 2012

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful for your comments regarding our services. Our major purpose is to work with dedication and commitment to guarantee an exceptional service for our guest.

We hope to have your visit again.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was very excited about my stay at this "wonderful" hotel. They were very friendly with the reservation and very accomodating as I had an early international arrival (8am). Upon arrival my room was ready and I was very happy about the hotel choice. The location is excellent and close to many things in Barranquilla. Front desk people, bellman, housekeepers, etc were very nice and friendly. Quite dissapointing was the service by the pool, the reception lady at the pool was all the time on the phone more likely having a personal conversation, I guess thats why she didnt offer us towels, menus, etc. I ordered a few things from the menu, took my order and came back 20 minutes later to tell me that they didnt have what I was ordering, or the order will come incomplete. I think I made them feel bad so they send me an amenity to my room but that didnt content me anyway. I was expecting Sonesta Miami service in Barranquilla but I guess I was wrong. Way to go Sonesta!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Good Morning,

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We want to offer you our most sincere apologies for the pool service. We guarantee you that we will keep on working to offer an exceptional service for our international guests and to maintain the Sontesta service that makes us different from all the hotel in the world.

We hope to have your pleasent visit again shortly.

Dania Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I will start from first to last.

1. I sent an e-mail to the motel asking about car service and I was told they did not have one even though it was listed. Two weeks prior to my arrival I called and was able to confirm they do have a car service and he was waiting for me at the airport. Nice vehicle as compared to the taxi's.

2. Check-In was a little long but I think my 6 hr flight and ride to the hotel was just wearing on me.

3. Room- HUGE! I got an over-sized King, one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on while in a hotel. Shower- HUGE. The shower was almost too big (as a joke). It had a rainfall shower head, hot/cold water, and the one wall was all glass. AWESOME! Safe inside the room was nice. TV was a large 42" LCD. No problem with WiFi. Had a mini fridge with overpriced items, but all hotels do that. I made room for my own sodas. Coffeemaker had the wrong type of coffee and filter and $2.50 for the 1 serving was a little ridiculous.

4. Breakfast Buffet - The first day all the cold seemed a little cold. But plenty of everything. Fruit, breads, cereals, juices, meats, spanish cuisine. They offered an omlette bar for fresh made omlettes. I was not too happy when I went to the egg area the first day because they scrambled the eggs with peppers and I just dont like peppers. The second day the food was hot and the eggs were normal. I had a two egg omlette as well and it was terrific.

5. Room Service- Had a hamburger with mushrooms and a cheese sauce and WOW was it amazing. I know I was hungry but I was ready to order a second one if I had more of an appetite but the burger was huge and came with fries. Room service was fast and efficient.

6. Mall connected to hotel- Enjoyable. Not too many stores but I had lunch at the little hotdog/hamburger joint and used the ice cream parlor another day. The ATM was safe to use. Lots of security/Police in the hotel lobby and mall.

7. Hotel Entry restroom- Overpriced. Food was decent but just too costly. Go outside and enjoy the country.

8. Security- Always visible. Security posted at hotel entrance at all times. Honestly, it was a safe area. Feel free to walk to the two malls nearby if you want the exercise and if its nice outside.

Overall- Loved the place.

Room Tip: If you want a bed that fits 4 get the king. LoL it was HUGE
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BenLI
Melanie M, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, January 6, 2012

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful for your comments regarding our services, its proof that we are working in pro of our guests.

We hope to have your pleasent visit again.

Miami
Reviewed November 20, 2011

It was a pleasant surprise the one year old hotel, located in a cute small shopping mall near the confluence of the Magdalena River and the Caribbean Sea...
Very modern, with exceptional service from the front desk team to the bell boys & beyond, the breakfast conveniently located in an open 3rd floor offers typical Colombian dishes to charge your morning for whatever endeavors you’ll engage.
Extra clean and spacious rooms, the hotel in conveniently located far from the noise but close enough from everything...
On an incredible bad note... they charge about $2.50 for the "courtesy" coffee in the room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, November 25, 2011

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful regarding the comments of our hotel. We want to offer you our most sincere apologies for the missunderstanding about the room coffee.

We will keep on working to maintain the service that makes us different.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I recently stayed here for 3 nights. The room was quite large and very clean. The bathroom was modern, with a big rainfall-type shower. The bed was an oversized king which was very comfortable.

Overall, I had only 2 small gripes regarding the room: 1) the towels -- we only got 2, and they weren't of the caliber you'd expect from this hotel. However, the wait staff was quick to bring more when I called. 2) The coffee maker -- it was a traditional drip coffee maker, but they provided pellet-type coffee pouches that were designed for a different coffee maker. That was a pretty obvious gaffe. Using the pellets generated brown translucent water that looked like the river I grew up next to in urban new jersey. The good news is the breakfast buffet had exsquisite coffee, so the room unit wasn't important.

The rooftop gym and pool were very nice. As is the case in most South American hotels, the gym is thin on equipment, and is basically there so they could say they have a gym. That being said, everything worked in the gym and it actually had some free weights. Its good enough for a couple days.

The hotel is part of a multi-purpose structure that has a small indoor mall below. The other end of the structure has a fun rooftop restaurant-club. Nice if you want to go out, but don't want to deal with taxis.

Overall this is a very good choice in Barranquilla...I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Try to stay on a higher floor. The third floor has a banquet facility, and you can hear parties for...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank waterski1230

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We will follow your recommendation about the coffee marker to guarantee an exceptional service for our guests.

We wish you could visit us shortly so we can give you again the attention you deserve.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here for business and it was good enough. Here are pros/ cons:

Pros: Nice, clean, rooms. I believe all rooms have tile flooring. On the first floor there is a small, new "mall" type area with some restaurants, and shops.....nothing special but you do have as a choice. This small corridor of shops/ restaurants leads to an elevator that will take you to a pretty cool lounge/ restaurant/ bar that is on a roof top.

Cons: Service was ok, a little far from my meetings.

I would try again. As the title says this hotel was a good option! Before this trip I had stayed in the old, traditional Prado Hotel, which was also a good experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank perudallas
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this review, October 18, 2011

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. As far as your service remarks, we promise, that in your next visit we will be more agile so we can fulfill all your expectations.