“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 648 Hotels in Urumqi
Melbourne
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

After traveling in Xinjiang province for a few days staying in local hotels, it was wonderful being at the Sheraton. The air-conditioning was cool and the beds were soft & comfy (a relief after several days of hard-as-rock Chinese beds). The corner room we had was spacious and nicely appointed.

The staff were attentive, friendly and helpful. Security was good at the hotel and all bags were checked before being allowed into the premises.

There is a restaurant within walking distance (The Miraj) that serves excellent Uyghur cuisine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
victoria l, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Urumqi Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sheraton Urumqi Hotel, and share your stay experience with us. Thank you for your recognition of hotel services and facilities, sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sun Lakes, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

What a wonderful find in NW China. Great Clean Rooms. Make sure to ask for non-smoking if that is what you need. The dinning is outstanding. The staff is super friendly and most of them speak a little english. There is a modern mall right next door for good shopping. Lots of different resturants. I will stay there the next trip.

Room Tip: 25th floor rooms are nice
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My first visit to the Hotel. Stayed here as this is the only hotel approved by my company. A very nice 5 Star hotel in Urumqi. Good security and checks at the Entrance. Room is also the most expensive in Urumqi. In fact it is the most expensive during my trip in China that included Beijing. The design of the Room is excellent and well appointed. Bed is fantastic! The hotel also have excellent Amenity. A big and well-equipped Gym too. The Location is a bit out of way for me to get to attraction but overall it is located in the modern part of the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice room, good location but very pricey! Compare to other Sheratons in China, this is one of the nicer ones. But I guess if you are a business traveller, there's not much choice for 5 stars in Urumqi.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed there for 5 nights and was disappointed with the overall service. Firstly we were placed in a room with defective air cond. We were given another room AFTER a second complaint was made, and this was given to us around 10.30 pm. Needless to say, we declined to be moved in our pyjamas.
Secondly, I ordered chicken rice, and it came in COLD (except for the soup). My husband ordered the soup of the day, which was oily and just horrible to taste.
Then my room 'key' had to be reactivated everyday during my stay!
Overall, I find that the staff were very good and attentive, but they lacked good training from management. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, no complaints, unless you have a defaulted shower door, that allows water seepage - or wardrobe doors that requires man-strength to open.
Definitely not worth the price you pay, which was expensive, and I would try other hotels on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Sheraton Urumqi Hotel, and share your experience with us. We think very highly of the questions you have asked, we have communicated with related departments about the detils, please believe that we will improve our service according to your suggestions , and we are looking forward to your visit again to witness our improvement.
San Jose, CA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is my third time staying at Sheraton Urumqi. However, I have just recently tested with gluten sensitivity. Everywhere I go, I dread if there is nothing for me to eat. So, a hotel who understands my need is top on my priority. We liked the spread of breakfast buffet when we were there in 2009 so will I be able to enjoy now when I have gluten intolerant? Well, the Director of Food and Beverages Jeremy Shen went all the way to search the Internet for a gluten free bread recipe and worked with the pastry chef to make fresh gluten free bread for me daily. I couldn't thank him enough. The staff at Cafe Oasis were great! Alvin made sure to bring me the gluten free bread toasted daily with the kind of jam I liked. When I complained to Dora about the Muslim Restaurant's air conditioning was not working well, she suggested that I could order whatever I liked and eat at the Cafe Oasis with open air and piano music. She brought me the menu to select and when I found the dish I ate and like in 2009 was no longer on the menu, Dora got the head chef at the Muslim Restaurant to talk to me. I described what I had, (a grill local fish with local spices), the chef said that he would make it for me the following evening. I liked it so much that I had the same dish again two nights in a row. When I asked about getting the spice for home use (In 2009, the Muslim restaurant manager actually got that special spices for me so I could take home.), Cafe Oasis staff Eva did exactly that. I can't praise enough about what they have done for me. They made my 5 day stay in Urumqi an unforgetable one. Thanks Jeremy, Alvin, Dora, Tom (Muslim Head Chef), and Eva. I will definitely go back to your hotel next time when I visit Urumqi again.

Room Tip: If you are a Starwood Preferred Guest, you should be assigned to the SPG Guests Floor and you will...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank alang-alang
Obidos, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

very good surprise at avery high standard. If you forget where you are you feel like in a top city in the world at the hotel. Excelent facilities and good staff. Do not miss the fiteness and spa.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business