“You have no reason go anywhere else!”

Hello Chengdu International Youth Hostel
Ranked #7 of 410 Specialty Lodging in Chengdu
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Trust us on this one: if you are in chengdu - stay at sim's cozy!
Great rooms, amazing staff, nice bar...
The hostel is not in the center of the city but all the buses are 2-5 min walk from the hostel.
You will not regret it.
Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Kerenandguy

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at sim's for three nights from 11-14 April. I was a little apprehensive staying at a hostel being a mature female solo traveller but I ended up choosing Sim's on people's recommendations and as I found it hard to select a hotel which catered well for foreigners with. English speaking staff. I was pleasantly surprises at the quality of Sims'. I emailed the hostel after i made my booking to select a room which suited my needs and they catered for them really well. My bed was comfortable, I had a real feather Doona and the softest pillows of any place I'd stayed at in China.! sure the room was basic but I booked a family room for the extra space and it had a TV , although the DVD player didn't work and the volume was limited on the tv. my room was on the third floor and very quiet.

There was a real diversity of nationalities and ages staying whilst I was there. I didn't feel out of place at all and the staff although all young catered for all my needs and not in a condescending way.

I organised an airport pick- up and was well looked after by the staff who manned the tour desk. Evan was a standout staff member, he organised the panda tour for me, a driver to take me around the city sights for an afternoon and a visit to the Sichuan Opera which was great fun and well worth the effort. Evan ensured that the three of us who went to the Opera returned safely and were accounted for at the end of the night. They will also help organise tours to Tibet and minority villages etc.

The bar staff were also really good and friendly. I would definitely stay there again even though I usually prefer a higher level of creature comfort when I travel because of the ambience and service they provide. I felt safe and comfortable at Sim's. They know what travellers want and provide it exceptionally well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank 505AngelaM
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is huge, I was told 106 rooms in total. All spread out over two 5 story buildings, courtyards and several smaller buildings.

Despite this it does feel 'cozy' with many smaller spaces to congregate in. The staff are exceptional and the food is good value with a good mix of western and Chinese.

Great place to connect with other travellers as Sims have thought of everything when it comes to travel advice and information.

We had an en suite room which was spacious and quiet on the 5th floor. I wouldn't say the hostel was to a high standard of clean as some of the communal tables and floors where at times in need of a clean. Though at least it didn't smell and no rubbish left lying around.

Overall I would recommend to those who like a hostel experience, as this is one of the better ones.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wylma
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were travelling around Sichuan with our two kids aged 9 and 11 and Sim's was a great place to have as a base. The laid back atmosphere and the western food ensured that even if we draged the kids to Mount Emei and other places we were sure that at least they would do so on a full stomach. If you are planning an intense trip as we did and want to keep your offspring fed and in good spirits Sim's is just the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank t0iv0k
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at sims for 4 nights in a single ensuite room. Price was very reasonable and room although basic had everything you could need. Location is easy to find from train station and although on a busy road the atmosphere they've created with the garden is perfect for a lazy morning, afternoon or evening. Staff were amazingly helpful with telling you how to get to places and buses around the city are pretty much on the door step. The bar/restaurant they have on site is also excellent and pretty cheap - it also has amazing vegetarian options (i cannot love you enough for that sims!) with a lovely rooftop to while away the evening on. I would highly recommend Sims to anyone and if ever in chengdu again you can be sure ill be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank HolsRoll
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place left me in two minds.... First the good- The staff here are fantastic! great english and are always willing to help out, thats about it for the good unfortunately : (
The Bad- while i was there they where renovating, now i realise that these things have to be done but the place looked like a war zone 24/7. My room took about 5 minutes to get to from the front gate, this place is all over the shop and it took us 20 minutes to find our room. The floors in the room are concrete which makes for a cold room is winter and they where also a little pokie.Im not a fussy man and I hope that this place has scrubbed up well but some of these issues a renovation would be able to fix. 2 stars out of 5... sorry sim's....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Clint V
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed in June 2012 for 3 nights. We traveled throughout China, backpacking, for several weeks and my husband and I both enjoyed this hostel the most out of all the hostels we stayed at over the course of our trip.

I definitely understand why the word "Cozy" is in the name of this place. Although it's situated in the middle of a fairly busy street, essentially a concrete jungle, it is set back from the road and is not what we were expecting. Nice greenery, very quiet ... it really feels like a retreat at the end of a busy day site seeing.

We stayed in a family suite, to have our own private room/bathroom. The room was very clean and spacious.

We ate breakfasts in the restaurant at Sim's and always enjoyed our food.

Finally, the staff at Sim's was extremely helpful. They always had tips, maps, etc. to help you get to where you needed to go. We also arranged a tour through Sim's to go to the Chengdu Panda Base and it was fantastic, highly recommend it.

My only complaint is it was a bit hard to notice the hostel from the street, didn't have the greatest signage from the street, and as we arrived late at night it made it difficult to see where we needed to go.

Room Tip: If you're traveling as a couple, you might as well upgrade to the private room with private bath...