“Wonderful friendly place”

and 1 more site!
Hello Chengdu International Youth Hostel
Ranked #7 of 414 Specialty Lodging in Chengdu
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good: very helpful staff, simple and clean rooms, very moderately priced. Nice loungy cafe at the entrance, good collection of travel books, travel agency in the foyer, reasonable tour rates, close to eating places.
Bad:
Ugly: The toilet near the restaurant are shockingly smelly, could do a bette rjob of keeping them clean and smell-free?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stuti

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed two nights at Sims. This is a very big hostel with many, many rooms but on the other hand this can be worthwhile if you're traveling alone. Amenities are very good, you can book all kinds of tours (there is even a special Tibet desk), you can rent DVD's for free and watch in your room, there is a laundry service etc. Restaurant and bar are also very nice with good food at reasonable prices. Rooms are okay, nothing special and it could be a little bit cleaner.

The only real downside of this hostel is the distance towards the city-centre, but you also receive plenty in return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Sim's Cozy is located in an industrial and residential district in Chengdu. The nearest metro station is a 20 minute walk away. I am well-versed in Chinese so I could commute by public buses easily from the nearby bus stops to access the attractions in downtown. I arrived in the afternoon and I opened the door to be cordially greeted with a bright sunlight which warmly illuminates the pink-wall room. The amenities in the room are sufficient and well-placed. The hostel offers necessary facilities and tours with guided advice from the young staff. The front desk was helpful in assisting me in taking down some important phone messages during my stay. However, I realize the staff tends to prefer to speak English despite the fact that I can converse with them in Mandarin. The guide for the Panda tour was seen giving preferential treatment to the Western guests. This place may be a nice hangout haven for Western backpackers who may feel really at home with English-speaking staff but Chinese backpackers may want to look elsewhere with more professional staff and a more accessible location to public facilities, food and shopping.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

One of the best hostels i have stayed so far. Small things made it perfect like:
2 powersockets per bed
2 lockers per bed (one big enough for the whole backpack)
hooks for your clothes
huge rooms
Just an amazing hostel with very nice and friendly staff

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed in room 307 for 2 nights on 8 July 2012, went elsewhere to explore, before returning to Sim's Cozy and stayed in room 423 for another 3 nights.

We arrived really late in the night, like almost 2am on our first night here... And the good thing is they still had people handling check-in, though the main door is closed for security. Room 307 was a standard double room ensuite, 170 rmb per night. It was a basic room with fan and aircon, tv and a DVD player.. It was relatively clean. However the bathroom sink was leaking water badly. Whenever we turn on the tap, it the whole bathroom floor would be wet. It was so wet that when I walked barefoot in the bathroom, it made me fell, hit my face on the wall (cos it was a small bathroom) and hit and cut my toes. Suffered a small bruise on my cheek and 2 bleeding toes. It was 3 am in the middle of the night, so I thought I wouldn't want the hassle of asking for a change of room. Later I found out from the feedback forms and guest book that they had on the table in every room, that the leaking sink goes way back from 2010!! Even feedback form that was submitted recently in june 2012, mentioned that they need to do something about the leaking sink! So seems like they are NOT DOING ANYTHING about the broken sink at all.. So why bother putting feedback forms and guest books in every room, when they don't value feedback at all. And worst, not collecting the forms before they gave us the room. The switches at the bed, some are loose and not working well too. They don't seem to be doing a good job in maintaining this hostel. Probably Sim and Maki did a better job in managing the place before, cos the reviews seem better back then.

The reception is ALWAYS busy.. The hostel is huge and there are LOADS of people staying here, and with the crowd, the wifi connection sucks! Especially at peak hours when there's many people back at the hostel. It's painfully slow, even at the reception area where the connection apparently is the strongest. You can barely load any website. There is absolutely no connection in the rooms at all, surfing on our iphones were barely possible.

Room 423 is a deluxe double room ensuite. It's another basic room, with a larger space for an extra coffee table and 2 chairs, and a seemingly larger bed. Bathroom is the same size and has the exact same layout and facilities as the standard room. Forget about having wifi connection too! It doesn't work anywhere else except in the common areas, and it's crazily slow anyways. It's 200rmb per night, which is considered rather expensive for a hostel rate cos you can probably get a good hotel room with that same price..

Each room seem to have something that is not working.. How frustrating! This time, Room 423 has broken bed lamps.. So the room is always dim, not too much a problem.

Sim Cozy offers lots of travel/tour services. We took a panda tour, that cost 98rmb, for 2 way transport, an english guide, entrance tics (that cost 58rmb), a guide and a keychain souvenir. It was a LOUSY tour! We paid for a guide that DIDN'T SAY A WORD!!

I suggest that if you are keen to go, get a cab to the Panda Breeding & Research Center, buy the entrance tics there, and walk by yourself. It's all well labelled in English, Chinese and japanese anyways. The Sim's Cozy guide DID and SAID NOTHING except to wait around while we take pics and walk around with us. What's the use of paying the extra money for an English guide?!! We can speak both mandarin and english, so it was easy for us to read signages when we were around there. But we were not given extra info about the place, about the pandas, the history, etc. NOTHING WAS SAID. WHAT KIND OF TOUR and GUIDE IS THAT?

I urge u all to save the extra 40 bucks, a return cab is probably less than that. The other guides that we saw for other tour groups were actively explaining around, ours just kept his mouth shut and walked with us. We really didn't need to pay for someone to walk with us.

Food at Sim's Cozy is not too bad. Not too expensive if you order Chinese food. Seems like after the Hostel has been taken over by a new management, they have not been doing a fabulous job in maintaining the place. Wifi connection is probably a very basic requirement for such a huge hostel, especially for backpackers like us, it is really important for us to do our research on the go.. They should invest in more routers to be put around the hostels..

and FOR GOODNESS SAKE, PLEASE FIX THAT BROKEN LEAKING SINK IN ROOM 307 FOR THE UMPTEEN TIME!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank elshjj
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

This place is more of an event than a simple hostel! Helpful staff and a myriad of facilities - what more could I ask for? A travel desk, dedicated Tibet tour section, restaurant, bar, Internet cafe, laundry, library, DVD library, free wifi, free local Sichuan info, maps, free left luggage, free wifi, BBQ/movie nights, hang-out lounge in the loft, terrace, garden sitting area, pool tables, towels included in private rooms, air conditioning... What an awesome place!! The rooms were well appointed and spotless. And all for $15 a night (for a private room). The only downside is the location; it's not really close to anywhere. However it's an easy 20 minute walk along Bei Yihuan Lu from the Renmin Rd Nth Metro Station, which links north and south intercity train stations and the downtown district.

Note: Sim and Maki don't work here any more- they sold it in 2010, although curiously the 2011 Lonely Planet guide still mentions them. No matter- the welcome is as warm as ever! Way to go!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Tim B
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed in Sim's Cozy based on a recommendation from a friend. I guess at one point the old Sim's had a more organic feel (friend described it as sleeping in a tree house), but I guess the new Sim's is just your standard hostel. I booked a private-double bed room with ensuite for around 100 RMB or so. The beds aren't really beds but more a wooden platform with two mattress rolls on top. The rooms are tiny and the walls are extremely thin, so one night we were awoken by the sounds of a neighbor arriving back around 3-4 am, banging on a door so he could be let in by a roommate. He then proceeded to vomit very loudly for the next 2 hours. It was miserable. But I guess this is what the "hostel" experience is like. As other reviewers noted, the new Sim's is hard to find and not in a convenient location, although it is possible to walk to the Wenshu Monastery, which we did.

I signed up for the panda tour, which is really meant for foreigners who can't speak Chinese. Because I do speak Chinese fairly fluently, I asked the guide if it'd be okay if I went around the park on my own. He was shocked that I could speak Mandarin, and it took some cajoling to finally convince him to allow us to go on our own - with one exception - he sent the driver (who can't speak English) to come with. I am really glad the driver came with us - he gave me some great advice that helped me to plan the rest of our trip. I really enjoyed my conversation with him and learning about the Chengdu area.

I probably wouldn't stay in Sim's again. For marginally more money, you can stay in a nicer guesthouse or a Chinese chain hotel that is not full of backpackers and an inauthentic local experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends