“ShangriLa Chengdu "Lower your expectations & enjoy”

Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu
Ranked #11 of 2,714 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed March 18, 2013

ShangriLa has developed a great reutation through training their partner hotels through out Asia. In this case the hotel needs staffing retraing in most areas.
Specifically, I had room service for lunch one day and recieved food that I could not eat as the taste was horrible. It took nearly 40 minutes to get my luggage delivered to my room. Shoes that were left out to be cleaned were just placed on floor with no indication that they were clean. Even though I am at the highest level of their loyalty program, my room on the Horizon Floor was tattered, and the bed was to hard. People are really nice in this Province, however ShangriLa leaves a lot to be desired. An alterative is the 5 Star Sofitel, however its not the best location to catch a cab.

Room Tip: I always suggest that you stay on the Horizon Floor at ShangriLa, however I would not spend the add...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank davidruben
DMM_SLCD, Digital Marketing Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear DRuben1330, thanks for your feedback and we too are disappointed with your stay experience with us. We have analyzed related staffing levels at the time of your visit and have made the necessary improvements to ensue that this will never happen again. I hope that you will choose our hotel again when you are back in Chengdu so that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay with us. Besides, could you kindly contact me at shuhong.fan@shangri-la.com so that we can address this issue with you directly?

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I used the airport transport service and upon arrival they staff was very welcoming. They brought my bags up to my room and the room was very clean and spacious. The concierge were very helpful with directions and taxi services. I felt very safe and comfortable during my stay. The rooms were quiet with a great air conditioning system! I ordered room service twice and it took about 30 minutes to come to my room. I also ate most of my meals at Cafe-Z which served many different choices of foods including pizza!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Linneh, thanks for your feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-La hospitality and exceptional dining options. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Now Chengdu has had the same name for over 2000 years, the oldest city in China to be called by its current name. The Shangri-La hotel is well situated downtown next to the river flowing through the middle of the city. The lobby and reception on the first floor are spacious. Rooms are comfortable and functional, mine on the 30th floor had a view of the river. The pool is full length and double the usual width. The adjoining gym has ample exercise facilities. The spa offers a variety of treatments in a pleasant atmosphere. The staff was very efficient, friendly and helpful. The restaurant on the ground level made a good impression with an excellent variety of buffet selections to chose from. I only spent one night here in early March, but plan on staying here when I return to Chengdu on my next trip in April. I like to return to a hotel that leaves me with a good impression. At Shangri-La hotels in China, I have always been greeted with a smile. I look forward to my next stay at the Shangr-La in Chendu.

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Juhani J
DMM_SLCD, Digital Marketing Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Juhani J, Thanks for your feedback, and choose us as your preferred hotel in Chengdu. We are glad to know you are coming back soon on this April, when is a breezing spring season here. Hotel is going to re-open our outdoor terrace then, offering fusion enjoyment of afternoon tea, and weekend BBQ delights, which is accompanied with various BBQ dishes, an outside bar, and live music brought by an international band. Hope those information could enhance your next stay experience with us, and if there is anything that I could help, please feel free to contact me through shuhong.fan@shangri-La.com.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed in the Shangri-la hotel for 4 nights mid January and found it an excellent hotel. It was especially good considering the previous 5 nights had been spent in less fashionable establishments in western China. Staff in the hotel where excellent, from the lady who met us at the airport, through to all the rest of the staff who made the stay very pleasant. Room was very spacious, although make sure you get the right side of section of the hotel if you would like a view of the river and surrounding areas - I was on the river side, but certainly did not have a river view!!!!!

Food in the hotel is excellent - had main meals in Cafe Z (buffet), Shang Palace (Dim Sum) and Mooney's (Bar Meals), all where excellent. The buffet selection for meals in Cafe Z is huge and the food was great, no complaints whatsoever. One big hint, if you decide to take on the Tuesday Burger Challenge - don't, well not unless your used to eating 3Kg hub caps!!!!! My suggestion - go with a group, you all eat the burger and one of you drinks lots of free beer for a couple of hours ;-)

The hotel is next door to the Lan Kwai Fong Riverside Mall, which is a mixture of night clubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
DMM_SLCD, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear lainDM,
Thanks for sharing your feedback, and we are happy to know that our hotel complemented your trip here and left you with good impressions.
Besides spacious room, contemporary furniture&decroration, and panoramic views of the Jingjiang River, hotel also provides various dining options, and one of which is regards as Chengdu’s most favored night venue- Mooney’s Bar and Restaurant, where offers oversized portions of ribs, hamburgers, the best steaks in town, as well as live nightly entertainment featuring an international band.
Hope the above information could benefit your next stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

No smoking in the hotel lobby or restuarant area which is very rare for China. The rooms had a spectatular view of the river and city. Close to all amenties and felt very safe. Service was excellent and room rates were reasonable for a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: King size bed facing the river.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time in a shanghai la hotel and it was very enjoyable. Great staff, great facilities and nice rooms. Seems very new.
We were there for a conference and so spent a lot of time in the hotel. Only complaint is that it's very confusing to navigate.
Local bars across the river are grubby. Worth a trip of you want cheap beer (120rmb for 12 bottles) and bad music.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed oct 2012 for 2 nights. Breakfast was excellent and there is a Starbucks just outside with a bar/ cafe area next door that looked like fun if you had a group. My issue was with how the front desk handled a pre- paid booking I had. They stated the agent in china ( which is a sub agent of the European one I used) had not paid them yet. Luckily my colleague was with me and lent me the cash (they wanted full room payment) until it was sorted. What happened was my sub agent paid and shangrila could see money. Coming in but it did not hit their account she. I checked in. Really they saw the incoming g money but would not check me in without paying again . This has never happe ex to me in years travelling in Asia and not very customer fridndly. All sorted by evening and they gave me my 2nights paymentI cash back but took ages at the desk with paperwork the hotel is fine and food nice but I think for the money you could stay nicer.

• Stayed: October 2012
DMM_SLCD, Digital Marketing Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear SiobhanPDublin, thanks for choosing Shangri-La Chengdu hotel, and we are pleasant to know that you like our Food & beverage options and location. For the reception issue that you mentioned, we did review your comments carefully and appreciate if you could provide us more details for our investigation and improvement. I could be reached through shuhong.fan@shangri-la.com, and would like to personally assist you with your next booking. Happy new year and look forward to welcoming you.